Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion size

Got a question. I know that the pouch is supposed to hold around 1/2 of food or like 4ozs or so. There seems to be some times that I am able to eat more like a cup or so before getting full. Is this normal? Or should I be eating a 1/2 cup no matter what. I don't want to stretch my pouch out. I am losing weight but just a little at a time. My job does not allow me to always eat Snacks during the day. Would appreciate any help.

I know I can definately eat more than that but i havent had a fill yet. Im just now begining to get my hunger back but dont want to overdo it either...I also wonder if eating more than I should would stretch out the pouch??????

Bell, when you can eat 1 cup of food then that should be the signal that you def. need a fill. Cynthia, you should measure and not eat more than 1/2 cup, just because you can doesn't mean you should. However that being said and this is for Cynthia, if you are hungry between meals right now (this is not for later on) you should eat something high in protien. You haven't gotten a fill yet so your restriction level doesn't exist except what you might have from the intial surgery. This time for you is more about healing than actual weight loss.

Bell, when you can eat 1 cup of food then that should be the signal that you def. need a fill. Cynthia, you should measure and not eat more than 1/2 cup, just because you can doesn't mean you should. However that being said and this is for Cynthia, if you are hungry between meals right now (this is not for later on) you should eat something high in protien. You haven't gotten a fill yet so your restriction level doesn't exist except what you might have from the intial surgery. This time for you is more about healing than actual weight loss.

Yes my doctor did tell me today 1/2 a cup. I had been on liquids for such a long time that when I started eating solids i no longer even remembered how much i was supposed to be eating. started little by little, tastes here and there that before i new it I know i was eating more than a 1/2 cup. Back on track....dont want to experience being stuck....my biggest fear right now!!!

I haven't had my first fill yet either, but I can definitely eat more than a cup. I've stayed on track though by journaling my food and keeping my calorie intake around 1000 as directed by the nutritionist (this is just for now though). I just eat a lot of low-calorie,healthy foods so I really don't get hungry (thank God!). I figured if I can't eat a whole lot, the little that I do eat needs to be nutritious, plus I'm scared as heck that I'll experience some Hair loss like many have reported.

I haven't had my first fill yet either, but I haven't been too hungry yet with 3 meals a day of 1/4 C. Once in awhile, I'll have 4 oz of skim milk mixed with Carnation Instant Breakfast between meals, but that is it. I'm usualoly between 200 and 400 calories a day. I definitely measure all my food. I have a problem just drinking the Water slowly enough. I start to gulp it--I just need to remember to slow down and sip.

Maryb, you need to up your calorie count to 800 - 1000. What you are going to find is that you will not lose any weight being 200 to 400 calories. Your body will go into starvation mode and will not give up any pounds. You need to talk to your nutrictionist.

I talked to my Dr. about it today. He told me if I kept losing weight to keep to what I was doing. If I stop losing weight or getting really hungry, I can have a cup of Protein drink. I guess I'll see if I stop losing then I'll have to up it.

Maryb, you need to up your calorie count to 800 - 1000. What you are going to find is that you will not lose any weight being 200 to 400 calories. Your body will go into starvation mode and will not give up any pounds. You need to talk to your nutrictionist.