Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Scared..Possible Slippage

Last week I had a serious sinus infection and spent most of my week coughing up nasty stuff...On Saturday night, I woke up to a mouth full of saliva and then the vomiting started. It's now Monday morning and I haven't been able to take in any solids and the liquids I do take in (coffee, Water, etc.) have all come back up. I cannot even lie down without having to get up and run to the bathroom because the saliva built up is overwhelming.

In my research (online), it appears that my band might have slipped. Up until now, I've had no issues with my band. Anyone know what to expect when I go to the doctor? Will they have to take all the saline out? I am so hungry and light headed, it is ridiculous. I am very nervous that my previous illness has messed up my chances keeping this band in. Anyone else ever have this type of issue?

Edited by nikole76537

I'd call your doctor NOW!!!

Try to stay calm and remember that unlike gastric bypass, Lap-Band can be reversed or repaired as needed. They'll probably either do an xray or CT to check the placement.

I know my surgeon warned me that if I ever had the flu with severe vomitting I needed to call in ASAP as the severity of the vomitting could cause band slippage. I'm no expert but I have heard that if you do have fill, they can take it out and allow the band to dropped back into place, then refill - not on the same day; have to allow for some healing...Good Luck!

I'm very glad you're seeing your doctor.

Something I've experienced--even before banding---is stomach trouble related to really thick mucus.

It's happened a couple of ways for me. Pre-banding, really ropy, thick postnasal mucus made me sick to my stomach because it stimulated the gag reflex. It didn't really cause any change, stomach-wise---but it made me throw up nonetheless.

Since banding, when I have thick postnasal stuff, it can actually occlude the stoma. Now that allergy season has hit with a vengeance, I'm taking guaifenesin (I use liquid Robitussin; Mucinex is the same drug---either way, be sure to get PLAIN, not with dextromethorphan) to loosen the secretions to prevent the problem.

I hope you get good news about your band position. If, indeed, you learn that it's not slipped, ask your doctor whether s/he's okay with you using guaifenesin to see if it helps prevent problems. (S/he might also prescribe an antiemetic. Many of these are antihistamine, which will help not only with the nausea/vomiting, but also with the source of the problem.)

I hope you feel better FAST!

Let us know how it goes at the doctor's office!

How did everything go? RU OK?

dont' get to scared. I am prone to sinus infections and this has happened to me before and it is happening again. You might no even have a slippage. I had and inflamation. my little pouch got swollen(imflamed). all the doc did was open it a lil and it all went away. but you will gain some weight back. i did and i went back to fill it again and now i am having the same porblem again. good luck and i am seeing my doc soon too. just don't stress it may not be as bad as you think.