Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Searching for answers

Hi,

I have had diabetes for 5 years and have so much difficulty with controlling my blood sugars and my weight. I already know that my insurance will not cover lap band surgery. I am looking for for the safest and most economical way to have lap band surgery done.

Thanks for helping me.

Unless you qualify for medicaid the only other option would be self pay! In the US it can range from $9-25k. You can pay cash or take out a loan, some providers offer payment plans through companies such as care credit. You can apply online for them & find out if you're approved in minutes. The credit line is given based on your credit score (I know they use experian as their source). If you know you have a few dings you may still be approved but maybe not for the full amount. A co-signer would help increase your credit line in that case. Be warned though that unless you pay in 18mts or less for their promotional offer their interest rates run high but again this varies based on your credit. So you can visit their website & search for local approved providers & go directly through your surgeon or you can first find a surgeon you're comfortable with & then find out if he accepts finance plans such as this. With a 5yr plan (in cali they offer only up to 60mts but I've heard other states are longer plans) your payments for an average priced sef pay procedure of say 16k could be about $300/mt. For me when I added up the cost of meds, gyms & jenny craig not to mention the dining out & other weight related bills I would no longer have it seemed like nothing!!

There's also the route of having it done in a diff country such as Mexico for as little as $4500- I honestly couldn't tell you what, if any, payment plans they use. Some say ofcourse foreign countries offer lower quality & can have more complications but that's something you'd have to research. With the band though you're required to have follow up care for life & many US surgeons want nothing to do with a foreign placed band- liability! Without the fills your band is useless so if you go that route locate a local fill doc that's willing to work with you first! Also my surgeon told me the company that produces the lap band in the states (Allargan) does not sell its product to places like mexico because they are not certified so the band many people receive there is a swedish band that's an older, cheaper model of less quality subject to leaks & erosion. Ofcourse these are unresearched statements from my bias surgeon. So take them with a grain of salt! It is true the mexico did perform the first lap band & austrialia & europe have also been doing it for years longer than the US who didn't approve it until 2001. So something can be said for their experience. But again in a foreign country you have no recourse if something goes wrong. =/

As a self payer you'd just want to keep in mind that your insurance typically will not cover any part of the wls -in some cases this includes any complications related to it. And remember the cost of follow up/fills that in yr 1 are every 4-6wks or as needed & can vary from $50-350/ visit depending on your provider so shop around for the best program package! Many include 6mts to a yr of follow ups & some practices also offer revision insurance for a yr which cover leaks, slips, erosions & port flips. Be diligent in your price comparisons & research! There's a thread in self payers forum here where ppl have listed what they paid in diff states you could inquire there also!

Best of luck!

I started out with the LAP-BAND®. What a mistake if money is an issue. I have ended up spending about $50,000 out of pocket for problems associated with the LAP-BAND®. I even had insurance that paid for the initial implantation of the band. I can honestly say, the band nearly killed me.

In December, I self paid for the gastric sleeve. Believe it or not, my insurance would not pay to have the revision. They even stated in the letter they sent that I needed to have the band removed immediately due to all the problems. They would not however, pay for revision to something else. I ended up going to Mexico.

I am Director of Nursing at an outpatient surgery center. I have been a nursing supervisor in hospitals all over the world. I can honestly say that the surgeon and care that I received in Mexico was better than any care I have ever received in the U.S. or in Europe. The surgeon I used has a world wide reputation for excellent work. I paid $12,500 for my revision from band to sleeve. This included everything.

Please, before deciding to get the Band, go to the sleeve forum on Obesity Help and read how happy people are with the sleeve. There is also a section there dealing with revisions. Many of the revisions are those who are having problems with the band.

I will say that the sleeve has been wonderful for me. Once you get the sleeve, that is it. No shelling out money for fills, etc. They have been doing the sleeve for years. It is the same thing that they have been using to treat stomach issues for years. It is the same thing as a gastrectomy. I know people who are years post op gastrectromy and the only thing they are is "skinny".

Just want you to be aware that there are other options available besides the band. Good luck in your journey.