Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Yorkers and food

First tip - have a drink alcohol loosens the band

Second - you can't go wrong w/ fish

I never ever eat bread out. ever.

I went to CITRUS on UWS and had crabcakes (really that is a mushy); and shrimp quesadilla. I did have two martinis though because I had just gotten a fill a couple of days before that. If you are worried having a drink relaxes the esophagus, so in the beginning and now even I do usually have a drink if I eat out. Not exactly low calorie so I don't make a habit of this

Also always know where the bathroom is. Sushi I won't even attempt because of the seaweed (oh the other thing I do is I often order the food in to try it)... and I got really really stuck on sushi (of course it was a spyder roll - soft shell crab what WAS i thinking!??!?).

NYC is actually the easiest I think - you can order appetizers only etc. I just went to aruba and was struggling on occassion. At times I didn't order anything and picked on other's dishes (they ordered extra). Family style worked well too!

You can also eat steak (I know people say they can't) if you can deal w/ medium rare and chew extremely well - skirt steak and filet mignon usually work ok for me. tender meat.

I work in midtown too and can't believe there's even an issue with finding food that agrees with your band. We have everything around here. I ate at La Bonne Soupe on 55th Street yesterday before my fill. Shared the pate and had a bowl of Soup as my entree -- no one bats an eye when you have soup at the soup place but I'd stay away from their quiche which is crust heavy and not as eggy as it used to be. I also find people don't notice what you eat if you keep the conversation going. They're much more interested in their own food in general. In this neighborhood I also love Bice ($$$$), Il Corso ($$$) and Sushiya has the most delicious black miso cod that is served on spinach. Sushi places are also great for sashimi and tuna tataki... there are so many options. As for Pump - they have a grilled chicken with low fat cheese and spinach on a whole grain roll that is good but does need salt -- all their healthy food does! There is also a Cuban place on 56th, Tina's I think it's called, and they do platters of pernil (or other meat), Beans and rice that are so huge that everyone takes home the left overs and no one will notice you eating smaller amounts. I also eat hamburgers without the bun at Cassidy's and they'll sub a salad for fries with no questions.

I live in Brooklyn and eat out regularly on Smith Street. Zaytoons has great kabobs and platters and they are really inexpensive too. I've had really good brunches at Apt 138, Coco Roco and half a dozen other places. It's really just about knowing what to order and then you can eat anywhere -- even Chinese food.