Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few questions.......please help?

Hi everyone. I am considering getting the band, and I have a few questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering for me. Im a little confused (or sooo confused lol)

1. Can you really not drink Water WHILE your eating? I dont' know why, but that really concerns me. I love drinking Water, and drink a LOT, and I get thirsty just imagining not being able to drink at all during a meal.

1. What does PB, sliderfood, and sweetspot mean exactly?

3. How do you deal with telling people in your daily life? That part kinda scares me. My husband said it woudn't be anyones business, but when I "imagine" scenarios in my head of me having lost some weight and people saying 'oh wow, you look good, what are you doing?" of feeling like im lying if I dont' say "i got a lap band".......... But I intend on eating clean and exercising, and I know it will be hard work too, but I dont' know im just confused............

Thanks everyone. (and sorry if i posted this in the wrong place?)

1. You're not supposed to drink while you eat or for 30 min. after. This is so that you stay full and aren't hungry. If you do drink the Water washes the food right through the band hole and you get hungry faster. At first this was hard for me and now I am so used to it that I feel uncomfortable if I try and drink with meals. So, you get used to it. 2. PBing (Productive Burp) happened to me when I get stuck. This is when a piece of food gets stuck and you get a sharp pain between your breast bones. You go to the bathroom and "slime". Yes, slime comes out of your mouth and then I bend over and the stuck food comes back up. It's not like throwing up. It just comes back up. Then the episode goes away. Slider foods are foods that go right through the band. An example would be ice cream. Your sweet spot is when you have good restriction after several fills. It means you are not hungry between meals and that you can only eat a limited amount of food at any one sitting. 3. I am just honest with anyone who asks. Some people like to hide the fact that they're banded. It doesn't bother me to answer anyone's questions.

Edited by illuminationlady

1)I had to get use to the idea of not drinking while I was eating, however, you can ease into it because as you get fills it becomes semi-painful if you do it and that really helps you stop.

2) See response above.:biggrin:

3) I refuse to let my lap band be a shameful thing, I don't volunteer the information but if someone asks, I tell. As in "I had lap band 6 months ago and I am doing great!" Because this is a positive statement people don't react negatively, if they don't approve or don't want to talk about it they will change the subject, if they are interested they will ask questions. I hope that my experience gives others who are looking for a change the courage to look for the solution for their own weight concerns whether that includes the WLS or not.

Good luck.

can anyone tell me what PB stands for?

thank you so much for your replies........ I think I will be the same as far as not something I just would volunteer, but if someone asks, I would tell them. I just think its interesting b/c i feel almost "obligated" to tell people im even thinking about it, yet I dont' feel that same "obligation" to tell someone I had a doc appt, or that i am going to the grocery store, etc..........

can anyone tell me what PB stands for?

Productive Burp

The Water thing takes a little getting used to. Start now; don't drink Water with your meals but take a sip here and there if you need to. Eventually you will find yourself taking less sips.

Drinking is not a problem though. I guzzle water like it is going out of style outside of meals.

Edited by btrieger
Typos galour!

1. Can you really not drink Water WHILE you're eating?

No -- you can, but you shouldn't b/c it washes food down your band and you won't be full as long or get full as quickly. I still have wine with my meals when I go out. This is the one bandster rule I have not followed to the letter.

1. What does PB, sliderfood, and sweetspot mean exactly?

PB = productive burp (when food gets stuck in the band and comes back up. It's not like vomiting b/c there is no stomach acid . .so it's not as gross.)

Sliderfood - food that slides right on down the band because it's liquid (ice cream) or crunches up easily (cookies).

Sweetspot - when you are at your optimal fill level in your band. That point varies from person to person and can change over time b/c as you lose weight, there is less fat around your stomach (which may make the band feel looser even though your fill hasn't changed).

3. How do you deal with telling people in your daily life?

I have kept it private from people at work and from a few people who I thought would be judgmental or otherwise annoy me if they knew. I told most of my immediate family and all of my closest friends.

The thing is, you don't lose a ton of weight right at the very beginning with the band. You have to go through the healing phase before you get your first fill, and then you may need a few adjustments to get to your sweet spot and really start losing. So, if you tell everyone, you may get upsetting comments like "Why aren't you losing more weight", etc.

You should really think about your privacy and who you want to tell. And, maybe you should wait to see how you feel after surgery before going public. One thing to be cautious of is people who are going to act like the "Food Police." I like being able to eat a cookie once in a while without having people say "Should you REALLY be eating that after your SURGERY??" or something annoying like that. This is a big issue, and it's great that you are thinking it through now!

Also, be sure to take before photos and your measurements right away if you haven't already!! You will want them later. :biggrin:

Best wishes,

Catherine