Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in butt (literally!)...help

Since I've lost all this weight I'm having terrible pain in my butt area. Its in between my cheeks. I'm really wondering if its something to do with the weight loss or not. About 25 years ago I had a pilonidal cyst taken off my tail bone and it was really big so I was cut from the top of my tail bone all the way down to my butt. About the only thing I remember about it was the pain---the worst pain in my life and missing school for a whole year! Even thinking I might have to have surgery on it terrifies me.

I have had my family doctor look at this and he can't find anything wrong. I do have an appointment with my surgeon in 2 weeks but was curious if anyone else has this problem---could it be from the weight loss???

Any help will be appreicated!

Hope this isn't TMI - I had a tumor removed from my breast 10 years ago, a breast reduction and radiation so I have a lot of scar tissue in that breast. I'm down 40 pounds and all of a sudden I had terrible pain in that breast and of course with all the scar tissue I have to be careful not to freak out when I do my month BSE - Is that a lump?! Lucky for me I just had my annual mammo - while experiencing the pain(BIG FUN!:thumbup:) - and there was nothing there. The radiologist thinks that since I'd lost the padding the scar tissue is rubbing on the nerve. She felt that in time it would lessen - and she was right. Could be what you've got going on!?

It's really common for there to be pain in the coccygeal region after weight loss---it really is due to less padding.

It's not common for pilonidal cysts to return, but it happens, sometimes, if the original excision wasn't complete. But when this happens, it's very, very evident. And it sounds like you had a very thorough excision the first go-around.

Since your doctor hasn't found any evidence of a problem, I'd chalk it up to losing your "cushion." And I'd try to ensure that you have some cushioning when you sit.

Thanks for the advice, you're right the excision was very thorough. I'm thinking maybe you all are right but I'll have it checked just to be sure. The scar tissue may be the problem too. I've tried sitting on pillows but that seems to make it hurt worse. I usually end up sitting on one cheek with my legs crossed. At least I can cross my legs now so that does take the pressure off my butt. :) Thanks guys!:biggrin:

Missy, they make coccyx pillows. They have a region cut out so that there is no pressure places on the coccyx. Here's a link to a few at Amazon, just to give you an idea.

I know lots of people who've had WLS who use them and get lots of relief.

Amazon.com: coccyx pillow