Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Health Advice Please

Ok, so I'm very unhealthy. I'm almost 17, 5' 11'', almost 300 lbs, but am very strong. I know I can still make a change for the better and that's why I'm here. I need help making good diet restrictions, exercise recommendations, and vitamin/mineral suggestions. I am always tired, and my lower back hurts. I don't eat too much junk food, and just stopped drinking soda. I work next to a specialty pharmacy that just opened and a farmers market. Anything will be helpful. Thanks

Hey there!

Your post touched home as although I'm older than you, I'm about the same height and was close to the same weight as you. Great job on deciding to make a change for the better! Cutting out the soda is a great first step! Soda is just empty calories that don't help you in any beneficial way.

The first step – have you seen a doctor about your back? You may want to have it checked to make sure you don’t have a herniated disk. If nothing shows up and you’re cleared to exercise, then I suggest you start walking. Try walking for 20 minutes, and build yourself up to longer time. Once you start exercising on a regular basis, it’s very possible that your back will begin to feel better. When I take more than a couple of days off from working out, my back starts to hurt a lot; when I start exercising again – no more pain. Once you lose some weight, you may want to try jogging/running. Start for short increments, like warming up by walking fast for five minutes, then jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, jog for 90 seconds, walk again, etc., until you reach 25 minutes. Then cool down with another five minute walk. That will definitely help you tone up and lose weight. As you become fit, you can increase the time that you run and work out.

The second step is to make sure you’re not overeating. If you are not banded, then I offer the following suggestions: You only need 3-4 ounces of Protein, and you can always add some veggies. You may want to invest in a food scale – it really does help. Also, if you eat cold meat sandwiches, then I suggest that you switch to whole wheat bread and have low-sodium turkey. You only need one piece of bread and about three pieces of turkey. A half of a sandwich is really enough, especially for lunch. Also, you’ll want to have a mid-afternoon snack, so some fruit and two hard boiled eggs are a great suggestion. (You should eat about every four hours.)

You need to remember that you need to burn more calories then what you take in. If you want help in tracking both how many calories you burn and how many you take in, you may want to invest in a calorie counter, such as a BodyBugg or Go Wear Fit. There have been a lot of posts about these, so just do a search to see what the others have said. So, if your goal is to lose two pounds a week, then you’ll need a 1000 calorie deficit each day. For me, this means burning 2500 calories each day and not eating more than 1500 calories.

I think my highest weight was close to what you are – and once I stopped overeating and began walking for a ½ hour a day, I lost abut twenty five pounds really quickly (a lot of it was Water weight). Last year I lost 50 pounds. I think I could have done a little better, as there were times I slacked off from working out, but I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished and hope to finish what I started this year.

I hope this helps. Regardless of whether you are banded or not, this site is a great resource. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Maggie

Skyler- I recommend that you talk to your doctor about it. He or she can put you on a healthy diet that's right for your age and lifestyle. (Or they can recommend a nutritionist to you.)

Before you start exercising, you need to find out if you have any health issues that might need to be treated-- like high blood pressure, etc. If you do, the doctor can help you choose exercises that are right for any condition you might have.

Giving up the soda was a great idea!!

I agree with you but before you starting exercises , you must have to need some instruction about it. You need to remember that you need to burn more calories then what you take in. you must have to avoid a meal with full of calories....

You dont mention specific back issues or real troubles, just "my back hurts". I'd bet money, its just weight and lack of condition of your core muscles - I couldnt believe the improvement in my back with weight loss and improved fitness, I feel like a different person than i did five years ago.

Honestly, start with exercise that is challenging, has you sweating and blowing and you can keep up for at least half an hour - most probably brisk walking at your stage, or something like spin classes. Stick at it, be consistent and be patient (real progress does take a few months to see) and I bet you'll be feeling heaps better.

You have youth on your side, your body isnt so far gone, you'll be able to gain good fitness much more quickly than us old farts.

At 17 too, you have a huge advantage with weight loss. You'll probably lose well from moderate dietary changes, and you might very well find you dont need to dip anywhere near as low as 1200 a day to lose weight. Make changes that you can sustain - for me personally, I like 3 meals a day, my extra calories ALWAYS come between meals, so If I cut that, I've cut 99% of the problem, and then I give myself permission to eat what I want to within reason for meals. That's a good first step.