Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What exactly does restriction feel like?

I have heard people talk alot about feeling restriction after a fill. What exactly doe this mean. It seems to me that it would be the feeling of being full after eating a small amount. Or is it when you eat so much that you throw up. Can someone elaborate on what restriction feels like to you and how do you know when you don't feel resticted.

Also, What is PBing and slimming I have seen people use these terms but I'm not sure what they mean. Is it short for throwing up? Please help!

Yeah, I want to know too. I think I can imagine, Parvathi once told me I was on the right track so........

when I was pregnant with Eliza I'd sit down to eat my dinner, eat 3 or 4 mouthfuls and feel stuffed full. I could feel it backing up my oesophagus. When I pushed it to eat some more, I'd be sick. Not horrendous nauseous vomiting, more regurgitation. When it stayed down whatever I ate sat for hours, and I felt stuffed full for quite a long time. I could relieve it a bit by standing up and walking round, moving the baby a bit to make room for it to go down. I lost a ton of weight.

Is that what it's like, kinda?

For me, I measure my restriction by the amounts I can eat comfortably. I know that if I can sit down and eat a whole steak with a side salad, I probably need a fill. If I can have a half a tin of tuna and some salad, that's about the right amount for me to function on. Since being banded I've realized that there is a real difference between feeling full and feeling satisfied. I aim for satisfied.

PB means productive burp. Sometimes when you eat too fast, don't chew properly, etc, food can get 'stuck'. When that happens, you tend to get a tight feeling in your chest and your mouth may fill with slime (spit, but slimier). Sometimes you have to cough up the food. Its not really like vomiting - there's no acid taste because it never really made it down. Its hard to explain - I'm sure someone else can do a better job at it than me lol. The first time it happened to me it was a bit scary, but I survived:) Now I just try to remember to chew properly and eat slowly.

The band has a real learning curve, but its easy to learn if you pay attention to the signs...

Had my first PB/slimey last night. *shudder* Hope I never have another but I know I probably will at some point. I just didn't chew well enough - easy to identify, and the pain and discomfort should keep me in check for a good while.

restriction is when you are full pretty quickly---if you eat more--yes you will pb but you really don't want to get there if you can help it--as too much of that can endanger your band. when you eat so much it comes back up on you or you can feel it in your esophogas---a)thats too far and :) you will know

pbing is productive burping--I have heard it described in a couple of ways--my favorite explanation is when you burp food instead of air the second way is vomiting-which it basically is--but if it hasn't gone through the pouch there is no stomach acid in it-hence productive burping

sliming is when you have eaten to big of a bite or just plain old too many bites--your throat will produce extra saliva to help you pass the obstruction

if it is a bad one--you may end up with saliva that is extra slimy feeling--and either it will end up going through--or you will end up pbing--by the way--if you are ever stuck--DO NOT drink Water to help it pass through--that only makes is hurt worse (personal experience with my one and only pb)

At this point--you should still be on mushies I think--so you should be ok for the moment--pbing usually happens more when you are on solid foods --most of the time its a non-thinking thing--when you are talking and forget to chew, chew,chew--or you are in a hurry and forget. If you are very careful, and lucky--you can go a long while before you ever end up having to deal with these reminders--lol

happy journey--and welcome to bandland!

shrina 7/12/05 Dr. Kuri

274/227.5/125-150

2.4cc current fill in a 4cc capacity band

I have heard people talk alot about feeling restriction after a fill. What exactly doe this mean. It seems to me that it would be the feeling of being full after eating a small amount. Or is it when you eat so much that you throw up. Can someone elaborate on what restriction feels like to you and how do you know when you don't feel resticted.

Also, What is PBing and slimming I have seen people use these terms but I'm not sure what they mean. Is it short for throwing up? Please help!