Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The beginning of the journey

:thumbup:Well, I figured since I have been lurking, and posting to a few,I would formally introduce myself.

I am Kelly. A 36yr old SAHM/full time student. I have been married to my gorgeous husband for 12 yrs (although we have been together for 17.5) and have two beautiful boys,5 & 9.

I have been overweight all of my adult life, and have not weighed less than 200lbs for the last 11 yrs. I have co morbidity problems of HBP and high cholesterol. I also think I have sleep apnea (although I have not had it diagnosed.)

I am finished with the referral, seminar, first consult and WAHOOOOOOOOOO I just got my approval yesterday. A little bummed because they gave my date away to someone who got approval before me (our pw was turned in the same day -same ins company-and they failed to do mine so add another week onto my date.) Oh well, everything happens for a reason, and I am still on my way.

My surgery is scheduled for the 29th of April. I am sooo stoked!

Look forward to talking with ya'll~!:thumbdown:

Edited by kellyjoiii

I too am just beginning this journey...and I too have HBP and high cholesterol. I was not always big, but gained weight with each of my 3 kids, and didn't lose it in between. I am going to be 38 in May, and am tired of being heavy. I am at 230 now, my heaviest. I am also have arthritis problems, and am going to an internist today. This is partly from being over weight I think...my joints ACHE. Good luck to you, and I hope to hear about your journey as you go through the steps!:thumbdown:

yaya,

I look forward to hearing from you on how you fair! I am lucky my joints do not ache, although I am tired of not being able to get around normally. Just getting out of a car is hard enough. Good Luck! :thumbdown:

This is my first post. I am 59 and 300 pounds. Have my first appointment in late may. Looking forward to taking control of the problem I have had all my life.

Welcome to all of y'all! We are glad your here. Feel free to ask any questions, we will be glad to help you. :smile2:

Thank Ye, Thank Ye! I love the support that is found here. I am down to 20 days. Yipeeeeee! I look forward to enjoying this journey with all of you and don't worry, questions will be asked :smile2:

K

Leigha,

I applaud you on taking care of your health issues and know what it is like when you can gain 10-15 lbs in a month (don't most of us? Or we wouldn't be here). So, you had your surgery in the morning and was allowed to go home later that day? Did you have to return to the dr the next day to be checked out or anything? I have heard that the dr may do an ultrasound/xray to make sure you were banded correctly and that your stoma is open? Thanks for the answers?

K

Welcome Kelly! I am so glad you have a surgery date! That is AWESOME!!!! :)

I was banded on 3/22 and it's been the best decision. I LOVE my band and I haven't had it that long. You'll do great! :smile2:

Yes I went home about 2-3 hours after the surgery, after surgery they had me drink 1 oz of Water every 15 min for 1 or 2 hours to make sure my stoma was open. (I can't remember exactly how long because I was still kind of high from the meds!) Then I went home, the only contact that I had with the Dr after that was the next night I was having a reaction to milk and had intestinal gas pain and in my paperwork he had given me it didn't say exactly what I could take for it. I knew there were some medicines that we were not suppose to take so I called and left a message and the Dr called me back within 5 minutes. That was almost 6 months ago and was the last time I talked to the Dr. I get my fills at the hospital that he is affiliated with and they are done under floro so my band position is checked every time they do a fill. And luckily the fill nurse is also banded so if I have a question I usually just call her.

I'm sure if I felt like I needed more contact with the Dr I could make appointments and see him on short notice, I just don't feel the need to. However, studies have shown that people who stay in contact with their Dr and see them regularly do better. I just count my fill nurse as my "staying in contact".

I am a firm believer that this is a very personal journey and you need to figure out what works for you and do that. Read everyones examples and then pick out pieces of advice that will help you, discard the rest. Good luck.

Hey hey! I joined this site before I got banded (feb. 18/2010) and think it's high time I introduce myself. I am Joanna, been overweight since I was 10 years old. I've lost and regained, lost and regained, lost and regained all my life. Thankfully, I have ZERO health probs from my weight, but I needed a permanent solution to make my weight loss dreams come true. I've lost 25 lbs so far and I'm very excited about my journey. I exercise, follow the one-cup rule to the tee, and I'm experimenting with food and cooking to make this as smooth a journey as possible. Please message me if you want any of my delish recipes, I am very proud of them and I guarantee you will love them! Hope I get a chance to meet a lot of great people on here that is going through what I am!

One question: Is there such a thing as a dating site for people who have had WLS? I'd love to meet a guy who has had surgery as well. I think that's important for my life long success with my beloved lap band, and also for having someone truly understand me. Take care and good luck to all!

J

I usually see a nurse practitioner for my fills and she is GREAT. But, my band doctor is always accessible, too. I can e-mail him on a Sunday morning at 8:00 am and he gets back to me within 15 minutes. He carries an iPhone and you can get a hold of him all the time. He also makes his staff accessible 24/7. I can e-mail my nutritionist and hear back from her, too.

I agree with Leigha - I think you need to keep in contact with your gastric team. Mine has support group meetings. I'm going Saturday morning for my first one. Can't wait!