Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After 5 years of fear & negligence, MUST re-engage but don't know how!!??

Hello Fellow Banders,

My LAP-BAND® surgery took place about 5 years ago, in Monterrey, Mexico. The surgery went well, the doctor highly experienced... it was a positive experience.

I noticed some immediate results, then came time for my first fill. Living in Virginia Beach with no "experienced" fill doctors at that time, I went to DC for my first fill with a doctor I found online. I was filled, then on my drive back down home, I noticed I couldn't really swallow. I was practically choking on my own saliva. I called the doctor about an hour into my drive, and he instructed me to turn around immediately.

When I got to the hospital, they tried to remove saline from the portal, but it wouldn't work. Placed on gurney, wheeling into an emergency operating room, the doctor noticed on an scanner/monitor that the tube connecting the portal and the band was kinked. With only local anesthesia, the doctor cut me open and corrected the kink. This was painful, uncomfortable, and I could see and feel practically everything. The next day I left for Spain on a church mission trip for about a month. I lost another 25+ pounds, due to all the walking and heat probably.

Following that experience, it took me about another year before I went in for another fill (with another doctor in Alexandria, VA). During that appointment, they could not place the needle directly over the portal. They poked me about 15 times... I felt like a lab rat. Apparently, my portal had shifted sideways and they couldn't access it. They suggested if I lost more weight, they might be able to do it. Uhhh... that's why I got the Lab Band right? Otherwise I would have lost the weight on my own!!

Long story short: Its been 5 years since my surgery, $13,000 out of pocket. I'm back to being 100+ lbs overweight. My wife, in a genuinely loving and caring way, sent me packing just last night. We are now separated. My obesity has challenged my marriage, intimacy, my business, my self-esteem, my health, and my life expectancy. My dear wife has been so concerned over my health deterioration over the last 2 years, that she's truly afraid of what the near future looks like for me. I haven't had a physical in about 4 years, but I would imagine doctors will find things I didn't wrestle with before (high blood pressure, diabetes, overworked heart, degenerative joints, etc.).

I MUST get my health back!! For life's sake!! And I want to live a healthy life for myself, my wife, and my three young children. I'm only 45 years old.

If anyone in this group has some encouragement, suggestions, doctor recommendations, I'll take anything!! Thanks for reading my post.

It's 5 years later things are much more advanced. There are more places to go to get treatment and more doctors to see. You need to make a few calls and find a new doctor that is willing to see you--probably closeby. You cannot give up. You need to start completely over, but first you must get to the doctor to see exactly where you are.

I am sorry about your separation, but stand up and fight for your band, for your health, and for your life. Once you take that first step, maybe everything else will fall into place.

Much Luck,

Crystal

Crystal,

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I'm off to a good start with only wonderful things in store for the future. I so appreciate your response!!

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. Unfortunately I am the same way sometimes, I really have to be kicked in the head to make drastic changes, but then once I do, I wonder what took me so long? Why was I resisting it so much? (I hope this comparison doesn't offend you, since I don't know you I am assuming this is the same for you, but it may not be.)

My practical advice is this. It sounds like your port is in a strange spot, I would find a fill Dr who uses floro. Mine does and she has never poked me more than once. Insist on numbing medicine, that way if they do have to try more than once it wont hurt. Go to the Dr. if they get your other issues under control with medicine it will help feel better and will help you lose weight.

As far as the money goes, at this point you are pot committed so go ahead and go all in. I don't know where you are but in Dallas fills under floro are $200. So even if you end up needing 5 to get to a point of restriction that is only $1000. Would you give $1000 more to have your life back?

Remember if the band worked without fills, it wouldn't have a port! So find a Dr, find a fill center, and get your life back. You can do it! We are here to help you, once you start getting restriction everything you know about dieting works!

Leigha,

I'm all about straight forwardness, so thanks for your candid remarks. You did call it! I'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia, so Dallas is out, but I am currently looking for a local surgeon & fill doctor; just in case they need to go in again and modify the band or portal. I love what you said about spending the $1000; its true. I spent $13000 out of pocket, I don't care if I need to do it again for my life's sake!! Thanks for the swift kick; its truly what I need. You and my wife must be in running in the same social circles.

Keep up the great work yourself as you make it to your goal!!!

That was meant to be more of a gentle nudge, not a kick! :smile2:

After a quick search I found these--just google bariatric and Virginia Beach.

Bariatric Physicians Licensed in | VA

Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss) Doctors in Norfolk, Virginia

I love my dr. -- he's in Northern VA. We're only a 3 hr drive away if you can't find one closer!

Again...jump back on the bandwagon and start logging foods. Get to the doc as soon as you can.