Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinion: Easy Way Out?

so now that i have your attention. Im writting a research paper about weight loss surgeries and how they are not the easy way out, or the easy fix...

here is where you come in:

- i would like to have your own personal expirience on how you ahve altered you life to accomadate your band/new plumbing for any bypass/sleeve patients on here.

-what suprised u most post op

-how you feel when people think that you took the so called easy way out?

i l=would love to get as much input as possible, this will make my paper more effective in proving my point.

I'm already using my personal expirience, but i want to include variety.

thank you

jeni m. (bandster since 2007):thumbdown:

I do think it has been the easy way out for me, so I can't help you prove that it is not. I have lost 82 lbs with little effort on my part. I love the fact that it it is the easy way out for me. I would have never been able to take off this much wight and keep it off without the band. I don't think there is anything wrong with it being the easy way out. Why would I choose the hard way?

I eat less and do not have the hunger I would have without the band.

The thing that surprised me the most is how easy it has been for me.

BTW, You look great! Love the pics. Wow great weightloss.

Edited by Humming Bird

- i would like to have your own personal expirience on how you ahve altered you life to accomadate your band/new plumbing for any bypass/sleeve patients on here. I'm banded. Some of the lifestyle changes I've made far preceded banding. For example, I was exercising daily for about 3 years by the time I made the decision to be banded. I already drank over 64 oz. of Water each day, took a Multivitamin, and tracked what I ate. Since banding, I've adopted a much lower-calorie, low-carb diet. When I have something between meals, it is carefully chosen to help meet my body's needs. I still exercise daily. I take different Vitamins, and when tracking on Fitday, pay attention to micronutrients I'm still missing out on and supplement those, as well.

-what suprised u most post op I was surprised to actually start feeling restriction, after many weeks of none at all. I mean, it's something we all aim for, but until you actually feel it, it's such an abstract concept.

-how you feel when people think that you took the so called easy way out? I haven't encountered this in my real life, only online. If anyone in my life is thinking along these lines, they're not sharing it with me.

As time goes on, though, I admit I'm coming to view it as the easy (or at least easier) way out for me. I spent a decade and a half banging my head against the pavement, trying to achieve success on my own. The band represents hope for me. I am now achieving success.

It may not be "the easy way out," but for me ANY way out is easier than the alternative.

But I can't expect someone who has not had the same experiences to consider all that I've done--the things that have been hard, and without meaningful result---when forming his opinion. And I can't expect someone who hasn't ever had a band wrapped around his stomach to understand the lifestyle changes that are required to peaceably coexist with the band.

And that's okay. They don't need to understand my motivation or my band. As long as I do, everything is a-okay :thumbdown:

Ironically, my husband recently wrote a paper on the same topic. It was a class assignment and he defended my position, calling it "our" lifestyle change. I was pleasantly surprised. But, he also talked to me about it and he has seen the changes that I have had to make. I would point these out:

1) We have to limit our food intake, and because of that, we have got to make better choices. Protein becomes a HUGE factor in our food pyramid.

2) Think about it - we had SURGERY. It's not an easy thing to decide. I don't care what people think - the decision to have surgery is HUGE. I know with me personally, I had never really considered WLS because I always thought "Well, I can do this on my own - I just have to have the willpower". The truth is - I could have the willpower for a little while - drop some weight, and then all hell would break loose and I'd be back to where I was plus 10 lbs. I think it's been the best decision I've ever made because the band keeps me honest. I don't try to push it because I'm scared I'll screw it up. I'm scared I'll dilate my pouch or something. So, I think having that constant reminder keeps you on track.

3) We still have to exercise. When you see the successful band patients on the board, they're the ones working out. It's not a magic pill.

4) Not everyone has the lifestyle that allows for 2-3 hours of working out per day and customized meal plans. We just don't. So, this is the reality for a lot of us that have struggled with weight. We have a TOOL - it's just a different tool.

I hope I didn't go off on tangents and I hope I gave you some ammunition. I'm still early in my journey, so I can't give you a before and after but I can tell you WHY I decided to do it. After four failed attempts at Weight Watchers (and that doesn't include the other diets like Alli, Adkins, etc.) only to lose weight and then gain it back plus more, I decided this was my PERMANENT solution.

Hope that helps! :thumbdown: