Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little worried about water

So I have been reading that the day of your surgery you should only have a few sips of Water or suck on ice. If this is the case i fear I am going to have some serious dehydration issues. I take two BP meds and they dry me out like mad. I drop a butt ton of water a day and am always thirsty.

Anyone have any advice?

as a small side note...

I was told no pineapples post-op

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :thumbdown: *shrivels up and rocks back and forth*

my crack... i'll miss my fruit crack! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

There's a very good chance you'll be instructed not to take meds the day of surgery. (The anesthesiologist will monitor and correct your blood pressure; depending on what your usual BP is, your doctor may choose to have you omit morning meds.)

I was told to take mine with a sip of Water, first thing in the morning. I then had nothing by mouth until I went into the OR around 1:30.

I thought it would be awful, but it really wasn't.

If you're super-concerned, though, talk with your surgeon. Some are okay with Water closer to the actual surgery than the usual NPO after midnight (or sip with meds in the a.m.).

I have not been told the same thing about pineapple, but I bet I know the rationale: fresh pineapple (not canned) contains a substance that is similar to salicylate. Like aspirin and other NSAIDs, it can be irritating to the stomach. (It can also cause cross-reactions in people who are allergic to NSAIDs.)

I would imagine that any ban would be short-term, when your new pouch is most irritable and apt to be bothered by the acidic fruit. And I would think that canned pineapple would be okay, unless your doctor has a different rationale; of course, the best thing to do is to check with him/her.

WhiteRabbit and BetsyB,

I think the NO pineapple thing is due to the fiberous material that the pineapple is. Pineapple has a lot of "stringy" material that I would imagine could stop up our stomas. This is just my idea, and not fact. look into it. Look it up on the net, should be easy to find :thumbdown:

Kellyjoiii

So I have been reading that the day of your surgery you should only have a few sips of Water or suck on ice. If this is the case i fear I am going to have some serious dehydration issues. I take two BP meds and they dry me out like mad. I drop a butt ton of Water a day and am always thirsty.

Anyone have any advice?

as a small side note...

I was told no pineapples post-op

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :thumbdown: *shrivels up and rocks back and forth*

my crack... i'll miss my fruit crack! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

When I went in for the initial seminar I asked this question (I take bp meds too and cramp up without at least 96 oz of water a day). The doctor told me that after surgery I should sip water all the time (a couple sips a shot) EXCEPT with meals when I have none. Suggested G2 instead of water.

I'm with you; a little concerned about the hydration issue..............

WhiteRabbit.....also remember that during surgery they will be pumping you with normal saline solution (NSS) while controlling your blood pressure......your fluilds can effect pressure and they realize this. The CRNA will take care of you!

You will get an IV as soon as the prep you for surgery so hydration will not be a problem at that point. I am also on BP meds and my BP was super low when they took it (while prepping for surgery). I was almost afraid they wouldn't do the surgery, but they said it was not a problem. They set me up w/the IV and my body sucked down a bag in record time. LOL

Thanks for the info guys. i feel a lot better about it now :smile2: