Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre fill weightloss stopped

Just wondering if this is normal. I lost 18lbs pretty fast in about the first 3 weeks post op, but now that I can eat solids the loosing has stopped. I am 5 weeks out and have not lost anything in 2 weeks. Granted I feel like I can eat about as much as I could post op, but I try not to. Did anyone one else have an issue like this prior to their first fill and if so did the weightloss pick back up after being filled? Thanks for the help.

Just wondering if this is normal. I lost 18lbs pretty fast in about the first 3 weeks post op, but now that I can eat solids the loosing has stopped. I am 5 weeks out and have not lost anything in 2 weeks. Granted I feel like I can eat about as much as I could post op, but I try not to. Did anyone one else have an issue like this prior to their first fill and if so did the weightloss pick back up after being filled? Thanks for the help.

This is normal. Many people stop losing or even gain a few pounds back when switching from liquids to solids. Your body has to adjust to the different stages. This is ok. You lose so much in the beginning because most of it is Water weight. If you stick to the amount you are supposed to eat and not WHAT you can eat, you will start losing again. You may want to increase your exercise. Maybe walking a little further if you can. I can not promise that you will lose weight after your fill because many people don't feel restriction for at least 2-4 fills. Don't be discouraged. 18lbs is a wonderful loss. Keep up the good work. And try not to step on the scale if so much because it tends to discourage more. In the beginning I waited to see my weight when I had my doctors appointments.

Keep up the great work. :thumbdown:

Thanks :thumbdown: I am going to start measuring out portions and jsut stopping instead of relying on my stomach to tell me I am full. Hopefully that will get me back on track. Also I am hoping that even if it takes a few fills for restriction I will at least be able to feel not hungry after eating 1 cup of food. Guess I will have to wait and see about that though. I have my first fill next wed.

Wow I was about to ask the same exact question. I lost 15 pounds and have put 1 or 2 back. I can eat more but still wont overdo it because Im afraid to get too full or stuck. Im on week 5 and just started solids. I go for my first fill on the 15. It was nice to loose those 15 pounds now Im wondering why I havent lost in the last 1 or 2 weeks. I am starting the couch to 5k program so hopefully that will help drop more of those pounds.

There is what we call soft sides of fullness. With me when I am full I hiccup. I know that it's time to stop because if I eat much more it will come back up. Not everyone has these but if you pay attention sometime you might find that you have them. Some hiccup, some sneeze..see if you have any of these signs to tell you that you are hungry. Also you might want to chose foods that are higher in Protein. Such as chicken, Fish.. here is list of high protein foods that might help you. High Protein Foods

The higher the protein the longer it will keep you hungry. Also you won't get stuck if you are conscious about what you are eating and you chew your food at least 20-30 times before you swallow. Make sure you have small bites also. There are some foods that won't agree with you no matter how much you chew them. I can not eat beef because it gets stuck. Even if I moisten it with broth it doesn't agree with me. So I chose to stay away from it. I do eat alot of chicken and fish products.

Also make sure you are still taking your protein supplements because they do help. And if you haven't been using them, I would suggest using them. My nutritionist said that I could have 8oz of Protein Drinks instead of 4oz when I was at that stage. There are also little packets of Protein Powder mixes that you can put in your drinks. South Beach makes them. There are also things called Protein Shots that work wonders too. Just watch your calorie intake. I'm not sure what your doctor wants your calories to stay at (as all doctors are different) but mine wants me and 800-1100 a day.

Good luck and I hope that this helps. I'm off to the doctors now for my 4th fill. I'm hoping that I will reach my 'sweet spot' with this one.

Thanks Astrasmom you are a wealth of knowledge :thumbup: I do notice a little belch when I eat, I wonder if that is my soft sign? i usually keep eating, but I will try to stop and see if I still feel "hungry" in 20 min or so. I did tons and tons of research and preparing for this surgery, so I thought that I would have less of a hard time with the mental hunger aspect of things. Prior to the band I didn't think I had a "food issue" but that I was just more hungry then "normal" people. Now I am realizing that I get more mouth hungry or mental hungry then stomach hungry if that makes sense. I recognize it though and will be actively working of fixing that problem.

Thanks Astrasmom you are a wealth of knowledge :thumbup: I do notice a little belch when I eat, I wonder if that is my soft sign? i usually keep eating, but I will try to stop and see if I still feel "hungry" in 20 min or so. I did tons and tons of research and preparing for this surgery, so I thought that I would have less of a hard time with the mental hunger aspect of things. Prior to the band I didn't think I had a "food issue" but that I was just more hungry then "normal" people. Now I am realizing that I get more mouth hungry or mental hungry then stomach hungry if that makes sense. I recognize it though and will be actively working of fixing that problem.

The reason I know about the soft sign of fullness is because through my insurance company I have a nurse that calls to check up on me. It's a wellness program. She told me about the soft signs. Great thing is the nurse that was calling me had a Gastric Bypass a few months before I had my surgery so it was great comparing notes with her. Your belch could be a soft sign.

Mental hunger commonly known as 'Head Hunger' is something that we will all deal with for the rest of our lives. As you go along you will be able to recognize it better and work on ways to change your thinking. Once and awhile it's OK to give into your cravings. Do not deprive yourself of the better things in life. This isn't a diet it's a lifestyle change. I will keep saying it over and over, DIETS FAIL. If you deprive yourself of taking part in the sinful foods you will fail because your body thinks it's on a diet.

Once you start getting your fills things get a little easier. I really didn't feel comfort until my 3rd fill. I am now on my 4th which I just got today and I feel pretty satisfied. Of course I will have to see in a couple of days how I am feeling because I am on liquids for the next 24 hours now. All I know is that I have 45lbs to go until goal and I've lost 49% of my body weight in 5 months. I'm doing something right I guess. So I like to share how I got here with others so that it could possibly help them too.

You will get there. Hang in there. Your doing great.