Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss before First Fill?

I was just banded on 03-25-10, and Im still trying to get used to everything. I was very confused about what I should or should not be eating at first, and I kind of got off track by eating soft foods too early, so now Im backtracking so I can do this right. I sooo want this to work! One question I had was, do you lose a lot of weight prior to your first fill, or does the weight start coming off after the fill? I have only lost 7 pounds, and I feel like maybe thats too little? Any help would be great!:):)

Im1019 - I think your weight loss is great - 7 pounds for 2 weeks? I heard that you're expected to lose at a healthy range of 1-2 pounds per week. So girl, you are ahead of the game!!

Make sure to follow your nutrition plan though. - Best of luck for continued success! :lol:

I was just banded on 03-25-10, and Im still trying to get used to everything. I was very confused about what I should or should not be eating at first, and I kind of got off track by eating soft foods too early, so now Im backtracking so I can do this right. I sooo want this to work! One question I had was, do you lose a lot of weight prior to your first fill, or does the weight start coming off after the fill? I have only lost 7 pounds, and I feel like maybe thats too little? Any help would be great!:):)

Thanks for the reply! I guess I just want to make sure Im on track, and it seems like a lot of people have lost so much weight already! But I will definitely get on track with the eating right and exercising so the weight will keep coming off!

Thanks for the reply! I guess I just want to make sure Im on track, and it seems like a lot of people have lost so much weight already! But I will definitely get on track with the eating right and exercising so the weight will keep coming off!

I learned pretty quickly to not compare myself to others. As far as the scale goes, yes -- I like to watch my BMI get lower, but I get a lot out of comparing pictures of myself as the weeks go by, and going out to see people I haven't seen in a few months! :-) Those things will all remind you that YOU are doing GREAT! :) Do not expect much before you get a few fills. Ive only gotten two and am feeling okay with "only*" :) 25 pounds lost because I know the best is yet to come. In the meantime, I am working my tush off! :-)

*I say "only" with a wink because that's an awesome weight loss in 11 weeks, 12 if you count my one-week pre-op diet. Seriously. But if I compared myself to others who were banded in January, I'd know that others have lost more. Know this: there will always be someone who is greater or lesser than yourself. So best to focus on YOU! :lol:

Sawyer's right on the money.

That said, I think your were asking whether it's realistic to expect loss before you have the help of the band.

Yes, it is. But you will have to eat in a way that promotes loss---which means that, without the benefit of restriction, you will be dieting, and you will be hungry.

Many people view the postop period as a time for healing, not losing. You can do both, if you choose---but it is an act of willpower. The weight doesn't just "start coming off." There's work involved. (There's work once you have restriction, as well.)

I think your loss so far is really great! If you keep up that rate, you're going to hit your goal in no time. (As a means of comparison, my doctor's office is pleased with any weight loss over 6 pounds a month; the banded rate of loss is 2-ish pounds a week, just like if you were on Weight Watchers. It can be a bit quicker, but it's never going to approach the huge initial losses you see with other weight loss surgeries.)

i have lost close to 20 lbs since my surgery on March 10th but it's been hard these last couple of weeks becuase like everyone is saying, it is a diet on your part. Therefore, I have been tracking everything I eat and keep the calories to 600 or 700 a day and it's been working. I get my first fill on Friday and looking forward to some restriction. Hang in there and try to work out everyday for 30 mins. I walk two miles a day. :)

Thank you all for your replies! Even after researching the band and talking to the doc, I was not aware that the band really only helps once you get the fills! I feel much better now that I understand that its up to me and diet right now, and its a comfort to know that later the band will be there as the tool I expected. I also thank you for giving me an idea of the realistic amount of pounds to expect a week. This makes my loss feel so much better!:)