Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

23days postop and not happy

Gosh, I read through all responses and I didn't see anyone mention what it's called that you are going through:

Bandster Hell!

This is the time between the surgery and your first couple of fills. You finally are off the liquids and mushy food, and now can eat solid food. It feels like you can not only eat what the doctor said, but perhaps a bit of his thigh with some salt and pepper sprinkled on it for flavor!

Some people, after they've completely healed, have little to no restriction. They can eat lots more than what is prescribed. And to think you are supposed to keep this up until you get your first fill?

As always, listen to your doc but if you are still finding yourself hungry after you have eaten the recommended solid Protein amounts, I'd say add a little bit of cooked veggies (I had to stay away from raw veggies like carrots or broccoli for a bit longer). Or add a small veggie filled salad (not just lettuce and dressing). This little bit of added fiber-rich food may actually help you obtain that full feeling.

I may have missed it, but how much longer until your first fill? I had to wait six weeks but I know of others who were able to get their first fill quicker, which may or may not make a difference. Every person reacts to their fills differently.

Good luck! I know it doesn't make it any easier, but believe me, every single one of us went through this Bandster Hell! You will get through it.

oh...& by the way, I get my 1st fill on Tuesday April 5th, I to am soooo excited!!!

well my insurance wont pay for one for 91 days so i got like 2 more months of starvation

Wow! 91 days? That seems like a long time!

As others have said, this is known as Bandster Hell, and for a reason! I'm eight months post op today and have had five fills. I don't know that I've hit my sweet spot as today I actually had to have a slight unfill. What I thought might have been my sweet spot was not.

When you are able to tolerate solid foods well, start working on food density. In other words, more dense Proteins will take longer to digest so you will stay fuller longer. Rather than eating a scrambled egg, eat a boiled egg--it's more dense. Rather than eat ground beef, eat sirloin. Rather than eat fish, eat chicken or pork. Rather than tuna salad, eat a piece of tuna. Hard cheese is better than cottage cheese. Does that make sense? I found that when I consciously choose the denser Proteins, I ate less and stayed fuller longer.

Don't give up. It took me about four months to get over the feelings of hunger. I'm convinced that my weight loss those months was due to sheer willpower more than band restriction. However, after my third fill, I began feeling restriction.

Know that stress and certain times of the month can also make you feel fuller. For you, that may be a good thing; for me, not so good! It's all perspective, I guess.

Good luck!

I was banded on February 16th. I get my first fill today!!! I am starving, I hope this helps! I can eat way more than the 4 oz! I have only gotten stuck one time, I hope it stays that way! I also hope I have no PB's...never had one, doesn't sound like I want to! I am on all liquids today...yuck!

I haven't lost ANYTHING since surgery. :) I'm following diet and everything and NOTHING. Nada. Not one pound. I'm ready to pound my head against a wall.

I keep thinking that I'll have this massive drop off of weight but nothing is taking place right now.

Anyone else have that?

I am so glad someone else feels the same as me - I feel myself slipping. I am also 23 days out and starving! I am very discouraged. My first fill is April 5th and I am hoping for something because right now I feel like this was a waste.

Niki, Jane and others,

My surgeon told me it was not unusual for bandsters to gain weight during bandster hell. Most people have very little if any restriction. And once you are past the healing stage and able to eat again, you either will 1) diet (ugh, such a four letter word), or 2) eat like you did prior to banding.

My suggestion is to not get discouraged. Remember, the band is a tool. Without any Fluid in it, it is like having a power saw with no power. You're not going to be able to cut a log with that saw if you have no electricity to run the thing! So you won't get any restriction from the band if you have no Fluid in it.

Make smart choices, but don't beat yourself up if for right now you are eating more that what the recommendations are. You'll get there, but it does take time and fills!

Hugs to you all!

So today is two weeks post banding for me. I am on liquids until my postop check tomorrow. For the first week I didn't feel hungry at all, and didn't take in probably more than 600 calories a day, if that - and not enough Protein, I know. Starting about day eight I started feeling hungry late at night. I've worked to keep my protein at 60-65 in the past few days, but I really just want to CHEW something.

So I know every doctor and every bander is different, but how long out is it when you usually get your first fill, on average? I had assumed it might be tomorrow, but now I wonder. And after the first banding, I won't have much restriction - it's still will power for the most part? That's fine with me, honestly, but... I am having a guy friend visiting for a week in mid May, and I wondered about how I'd explain not eating, or getting sick if I eat. Maybe I don't need to worry about that? I don't want to OVER eat, but it would be nice if I could go to dinner and eat sensibly without worrying I would "out" myself with my surgery or - even worse - get stuck and throw up!

Wonder why all my posts read like a novelette. I can't seem to say anything in just a few lines.

Lisa, the amount of time from banding to first fill seems to vary wildly.

My surgeon wouldn't do it before six weeks, but after you get the first fill, he'll go every two weeks until you are getting close to the green zone or sweet spot.

Others have gotten fills within 3 or 4 weeks of their surgery.

Others have a fill during the surgery.

Others still, like the original poster of this thread has to wait 3 months, but that's because of when her insurance will pay (I'd highly recommend asking the doc what a fill would cost without insurance as I don't think I could have waited 3 months without a fill).

So I guess it really depends on whether you are self pay or insurance pay or just what your surgeon's philosophy is. But I don't think 3 months is normal, as the OP is the only person I've seen so far that has said she had to wait that long.

ok.. now im 23 days post op and hungry all the time.. i eat my 4 ounces within the 30min window and i dont drink 1 hour before or 1 hour after i eat.. after i eat the 4 ounces im still so hungry i dunno what 2 do.. is this common? does it get any better after my first fill?

Of course it is. Right now all you have is a piece of plastic inside you. It's not doing anything but sitting there and looking pretty...and will remain that way until you start getting fills.

Even then, it may take several fills before you get any type of restriction...and then the restriction may only be temporary. At some point you'll get to the sweet spot. Time and patience.

More power to you if you can eat as if you have the band. I couldn't and didn't. I told my doc that if I could eat 4 oz of food and live with the hunger, I wouldn't have needed the band. So, while waiting for restriction, I just tried to eat sensibly, but hunger? Nope...didn't even go there. If I was hungry, I ate.