Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flipped Port

Guys I need your help here. I went for my first fill today and after tons of needle poking they figured out that my port has flopped 180 degrees. I have to go back into the hospital next week to have it fixed. The doc said I didn't do anything to cause this, but I am feeling guilty like I might have done something, but I don't know what. I am really scared. Has anyone out there experienced this?

There is nothing to be scared about, this happens, sometimes the stitches that hold it in place pop and there goes your port, but it is nothing of concern. My port was flipped and I had it repaired in July, so its back into place, no big deal.. So don't stress out and good luck. email me if you have any questions.

Yup mine flipped too and I had to have it repaired as well. No issues after that.

Don't feel guilty - I can't imagine anything you would have done to cause the port to flip. Good luck with your revision! :)

good question, did you feel it when it happened? I was wondering because I was doing "laundry" with my husband and thought that that happened to mine. I was hoping I just pulled the muscle around it, I guess I will find out for my next fill. Since I can push and feel mine, it still feels normal. Could you do this?

Kind of off topic, but do you feel it when the port flips?

I never felt mine flip or tilt. I know Donali on here said she felt it when hers flipped. I know you can feel a burning sensation and slight pain when you PULL a stitch but don't tear it away. Remember the port is stitched to the muscle so when you pull it then it can tear away or it can just burn a little from a slight pulling.

When I refer to pulling I mean like you over twist your side, do LOTS of sit ups, pick up something heavy then twist and strain the area. All of these are to the EXTREME and not from every day activities. If you do more than 100 sit ups, or you are over reaching into the back seat (donali), or you pick up a 50 pound bag of dog food then twist.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Penni :) I know its probably silly to worry about things like that (especially if nothing specific causes them), but I just don't know what I'd do if something happened to my band lol. I love this thing!!

Belly button for me.

Can I ask the folks who's port filpped where your port is located (by the belly button or in your chest?

Yes it is an outpatient surgery. Well mine was anyway. I was actually up and around that evening. The revision surgery was easier to recuperate from that the initial band surgery.

How long were you down when you had the correction? Were you put totally under?