Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Use It To Lose It

So I'm six years post op, 250 lbs down, 61 years old and in the best shape of my adult life. I'm at the gym 5-7 days a week. I swim laps 4 days, do cardio and weights 2 days and on the 7th day I either bicycle or walk on the beach. When I started my journey I was 424 lbs and exercise for me was getting out of bed in the morning. I just did a blog post about how I got started exercising - you can read it if you like at Use It To Lose It!

and realized that I really didn't know how to get started exercising and there may be many more like me out there. I thought I could use this forum for all of us who currently have some sort of exercise regimen to let those who don't, or those who want to, or those who are interested, or those who may want to change it up know what they are doing and how they got started so-

How do you get your exercise?

When did you start? (how soon after banding)

How did you start?

I started by just walking around more in stores, etc. Then I took up swimming laps, starting at 300 lbs and swimming for 5 minutes 3 x per week, working it up to 1 hour per day.

How about you?

Hi Sandi,

I had been working with a personal trainer for about 2 years before my surgery (I'm 4 years post-op) but we couldn't do much cardio because of so much weight on my knees. Still, I had good muscle tone under all the weight and I think that helped both my surgical recovery as well as my ultimate weight loss. I didn't exercise much -- maybe a couple of walks a week - for the first 100 lbs, which poured off me in about 5 monhts (I'm only 5'1 and my body was dying to shed some weight once I was eating proper quantities with the band). Then I started walking longer lengths (maybe 3 miles) about 4 times a week. When I got to 200 lbs, I started running small spurts within my walks and got really excited about having a Tummy Tuck (I'd been told I could have one at 180), so I started running more and walking less, probably working out 5 times a week. Once I recovered from my tummy tuck, I trained for the NYC marathon back in 2007, which took me below my goal weight!

I've had some health problems unrelated to the band (a miscarriage) this year and have gained about 25 lbs. My band is perfectly adjusted, but now that I'm out of the depression that goes along with that experience (I'm 37 and have no children), I've signed up for the NYC marathon again and I know I'll be back to goal weight in no time. I'm so thankful for my band. Without it, I know I would have gained 100+ lbs while I wasn't "minding the store." I'm so glad I have this adjustable tool and a body that craves exercise and responds to it.

Thanks for the question. It feels good to own up to what's going on with me. It's been a while since I've checked in with LBT and it's a valuable support tool.

Take care, JulieNYC

Hi Sandi,

I had been working with a personal trainer for about 2 years before my surgery (I'm 4 years post-op) but we couldn't do much cardio because of so much weight on my knees. Still, I had good muscle tone under all the weight and I think that helped both my surgical recovery as well as my ultimate weight loss. I didn't exercise much -- maybe a couple of walks a week - for the first 100 lbs, which poured off me in about 5 monhts (I'm only 5'1 and my body was dying to shed some weight once I was eating proper quantities with the band). Then I started walking longer lengths (maybe 3 miles) about 4 times a week. When I got to 200 lbs, I started running small spurts within my walks and got really excited about having a Tummy Tuck (I'd been told I could have one at 180), so I started running more and walking less, probably working out 5 times a week. Once I recovered from my tummy tuck, I trained for the NYC marathon back in 2007, which took me below my goal weight!

I've had some health problems unrelated to the band (a miscarriage) this year and have gained about 25 lbs. My band is perfectly adjusted, but now that I'm out of the depression that goes along with that experience (I'm 37 and have no children), I've signed up for the NYC marathon again and I know I'll be back to goal weight in no time. I'm so thankful for my band. Without it, I know I would have gained 100+ lbs while I wasn't "minding the store." I'm so glad I have this adjustable tool and a body that craves exercise and responds to it.

Thanks for the question. It feels good to own up to what's going on with me. It's been a while since I've checked in with LBT and it's a valuable support tool.

Take care, JulieNYC

Hey Julie:

Thanks so much for sharing. Yopu are incredible. Please stay in touch - either on LBT or by email and let me know how you're doing.