Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Guy Saying Hello

Hello....

I'm only a few steps into the process towards banding. Started reading and learning 3 months ago and decided to do something more permanent about my weight having really tired of the yo-yo dieting I've done all my life. I have spent time researching this, found great information at my physician's conference, and in the last 3 weeks I have been evaluated at the clinic, by my family physician, dietitian and have the first of three psych visits done. Starting a series of 6 phone consultations with my insurance company's steps to wellness program next week. A lot of hurdles to get through but I am convinced they are worth the time.

So far, I have added exercise and Water to my daily routine and have modified my eating to eliminate any eating after dinner and any junk food types of Snacks and so far I am down 5 lbs of the 19lbs I need to loose prior to surgery. I feel great about that :Banane20:. I know its only a small % of the weight I want to loose but baby steps right ?

Will be starting the South Beach diet as my pre-op diet in a week once the books arrive from Amazon. My family doc and the bariatric dietitian both support that food plan as a good pre-op plan and from what I've learned I like the balanced healthful approach that food plan takes.

Anyways, hoping to find some online folks to talk to and keep up with for support and also get to know a few of you and lend a supportive shoulder for you as well.

Edited by BullZeye

Welcome!

Sounds like you are off to a great start! The time will actually go by a lot quicker than you think. This is a great place to talk to others who understand the ups and downs of weight loss. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Welcome! I agree with Mimi -- the time will fly by before you know it! So. . before you get too far along, be sure to take some "before" photos and take your measurements. You will definitely want them later on so that you can see how much progress you are making! :)

Best wishes,

Catherine

Mimi and Catherine thank you for the welcome, much appreciated.

Yeah time is going by relatively quickly anyways. I'm not one to wish time away and I have plenty of activities with work and my kids to keep my busy as I go through the insurance requirements.

I'm a month closer already than I was at the start of the month when this began in earnest and I look at this month like Mimi said as a good beginning.

I've been told with my insurance its about a 3 month process from start to procedure so I only have 2 months to go.

It will take me plenty of time to adjust to all the added chewing I'm practicing but I do find that a frustrating habit to develop. So learning to chew like a grinding machine and dropping the remaining 14 lbs are my goals the next two months.

Well I just finished my first week on the South Beach Diet. Its the 3rd change in my life working towards my surgical goal weight. Starting at 329 in early March, and added a walking program, increased Water consumption right away, eliminated all unhealthy Snacks and beer from my diet the second week, and having jumped on the SBD 9 days ago I am now down 13 pounds and only have 6 to go for surgical weight.

I love the South Beach plan its works very well for me as I lost 70 pounds on it last time so I'm excited to see a big change in my weight this last week. I've had my psych evaluation now and nutritional consult. Both my doctor and my nutritionist encouraged the South Beach diet for me to loose weight pre-surgery and a healthy approach to food following surgery.

Hope everyone is doing well wherever you are in your process of banding.