Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Spotlight Came on tonight

I was banded last June and have been thrilled with the results. I am down about 63 pounds and feel terrific. But there was a continuing frustration about having people notice my weight loss. Sure, my family that knew about the surgery have been very complementary about the changes. But those that I work with barely seemed to notice. Now I know that they are the people who see me regularly so changes were less likely to seem dramatic. But along with the weight loss I seem to have gained a healthy bit of vanity. And I wanted people to see what I have accomplished.

Well tonight things suddenly changed. I was at a Board function (I run a non-profit) when someone reached out and grabbed my arm as I was walking by and said "You look fantastic". I could barely contain my enthusiasm. As the evening progressed, people came over to me and mentioned that I looked great and had i lost weight. One even called me the incredible disapearing Executive Director. It almost felt like someone had taken out an ad that encouraged people to compliment me. 10 people did.

I can't say this is why I did this because it is not. But it felt so good to have people notice and say something. Many asked how I did it and while my reply was simply "Eat Less, Move more", I did not feel like I was lying. The band has given me the ability to both of those things. And I feel like I will never be the same.

Congratulations on your success! I'm glad that people have noticed your hard work. As for the people at work, they may have noticed, too. Sometimes people aren't sure what to say. I've even had people tell me that it's rude to comment on someone's size (good or bad). Well, I'm always up for a compliment. I'm sure you'll be hearing alot of them.

Cindy

I have found that many people (especially in work situations) are reluctant to comment on weight changes. Especially since I've been known to drop weight, then regain. So, the compliments I've received have been primarily from (a) people who know I'm banded, and (:Banane20: people who have not seen me for a long time.

I'm glad you got accolades, though!

Just as an aside, I was interested to see that the Biggest Loser contestants who have had issues with regaining are the ones for whom the attention of others was most important. One winner (season 1, maybe) regained almost all he lost--and complained that a huge factor was that he no longer was getting the positive attention received as he lost.

In a way, it's probably a positive thing that you've been cheering yourself on. It's coming from you, which means you've got it in you to keep going & keep it off.

It seems that just recently I've started to get a lot of comments about how much weight I have lost, and its not like I have lost that much in the recent past...? I agree that people are reluctant, and if they see you everyday it isn't as easy to notice until you start wearing different clothes.

Take the compliments when you can get them!! I know it helps keep me going. I have to stay patient though, I am anxious to lose a lot more but I have to stay focused on where I came from.