Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time for Baby???

Guest Kadtie

We had been trying for 8 years to get preggers. My fertility dr at the time advised that if I would just lost 30 pounds that could make all the difference. I lost the 30 pounds and two months later I was preggers. I was 285 and 32 when I started and by the time I had my daughter I was down to 240. I carried her full term and alot of people never even knew I was preggers. My second pregnancy happened naturally and quickly. I was at 260 and 37, by the time I had my son I was down to 241. But, had I had the time, I would have waited until I had lost more weight. I had alot of hard times with swelling feet and hurting back on my last pregnancy.

Well, I'm glad I found this thread. I'm 31, DH is 39 and we have 3 wonderful children. At the end of my last pregnancy I topped the scale at over 350 pounds, the highest I have EVER been. I didn't have any problems, except gestational diabetes and my normal HBP. I was on meds and the diabetes was diet controlled. My son was very big (born at 10 pounds) and I ended up delivering via C-section because of his transverse position. I have PCOS and actually lost my right ovary to the disease through an ovarian torsion (VERY VERY PAINFUL!). I was told that I would have a very difficult time getting pregnant again. (BTW, I have 2 other children as well). I had an IUD and had it removed July 1, 2003 and by August 14, I found out I was pregnant. So much for a difficult time conceiving! I want to try one more time for a girl (my 3 children are all boys, 9, 7 and 19 months) but definately want to drop some of this weight first. I was banded on Oct. 25, 2005 and have lost 34 pounds so far. My DH and I are trying to decide a time frame for trying again, or if we'll try again. Seeing his age, he doesn't think he can handle another baby. We'll see. I already see a difference in his attitude as I slim down. All in all, you have to decide what's best for you, but you may find conceiving and carrying a baby to term a little easier if you lose some weight first, even if it's without the band.

Just my thoughts. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Take care of Mama first because if Mama ain't happy than nobody is happy. I would suggest losing weight first, you are young and have many years ahead of you for healthy happy babies. Don't let your DH rush you or anyone else. Having babies at a higher weight means higher risks. Plus its harder for the doctors. A benefit of weighing less is having more energy for the baby and believe me, your gonna need it lol. Take care of you first. :)

I had both of my kids pre-band. Both were born by C-Section. I weighed 285 when I became pregnant with my daughter and 320 when I had her (I was 32). We had some fertility issues before her. I have PCOS and it took almost two years to conceive her. Then 19 months after my daughter was born, I gave birth to my son. I weighed around 280 again when he was conceived and weighed 270 after he was born (can't remember what I got up to during pregnancy, but it was under 300). I lost weight during his pregnancy because I got gestational diabetes and following the diabetic diet made me gain very little during the pregnancy so I actually weighed less after he was born. We tried to conceive for a third, but it never did happen. I think it was because of my weight and the PCOS. We've since decided we are happy with the 2 and are no longer trying for #3. Plus our ages, I am now 37 and my DH is 43. So now I was banded on Nov 1st because I'm wanting to make sure I'm going to be around to walk them both down the isle. I think it is a very personal choice, which only you can make. I just wanted you to know I had 2 healthy pregnancies and 2 healthy children, even being heavy. And to add to the advise from others. Take Prenatal Vitamins BEFORE you become pregnant and eat healthy during your pregnancies.

Best of luck to you!