Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to exercise......

I was banded on Oct 1, 2009 and I've only lost 23 lbs (granted the last 13 was in the past 7 weeks, when I finally got a good adjustment, so now I think I'm on my way) and I

've not started exercising. I'm sure that's a reason I've only lost 23 lbs. Why, you ask? I HATE it. I know, I know - it HAS to be done, so suck it up and do it. I just went out and bought some workout clothes and I'm joining the gym tommorrow - so if I'm paying for it, maybe it'll motivate me some.

What do you all do for exercise and how often a week and for how many minutes? I plan on spending about an hr at the gym (between cardio and wts) 4-5 days a week. Should I try more or get warmed up a bit?

Thank God this last adjustment 7 weeks ago actually worked - I was really beginning to lose hope. There's people here with their surgeries the same day as mine who have lost 60+ lbs. I'll catch up - I'm just going a little slower.

If you like the gym then it sounds like your right on track. I hate the gym so my exercise the first year consisted of 3 days a week in a lap pool for an hour...just walking 20 laps in Water then some aqua exercises for flexiblility and range of motion... On the off days when not in the pool I would go for walks around the neighborhood. It also took about 9 months before I reached a comfortable fill point ... Now I have to increase my exercise as my weight loss has stalled and I know that exercise is a vital component .... Thank goodness Spring is almost upon us so I can increase my walking and I am going to try Zumba next week!! Good luck to you.. I don't think you have to add anything to your plan as it sounds pretty intense... Thanks for posting. It made me think about what I need to do too.

I am far from a fitness guru, but here's what I do. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and all I do is the elliptical for 45 minutes. When I started going to the gym, I did weights and cardio, but after about 6 months, I really didn't like the muscles I was building. The elliptical has really firmed up my arms, legs and abs. I don't understand it, but my abs actually improved when I stopped doing the ab machines.

I say do what you like at the gym, just keep going and change it up, if you get bored. The most important thing is to keep moving.

Cindy

My 4-year-old shepherd-Lab mix, Truman, is my personal trainer. He requires at LEAST an hour of brisk walking each day---usually 4 mph or so, at this point. (As I lose, we move farther and faster.) He vastly prefers twice a day, and we do that most days.

I am currently babying an injury, but when I'm able, I also do alternate days of weight-lifting at the gym.

If you're going to be doing 4-5 days at the gym, be sure to let your muscles rest for a day between weight workouts.

I workout 5-6 days a week. Alternating between 45 mins on the treadmill at the gym and a 30 min. step aerobic routine I do at home. I also do weights 3 times a week with a trainer.

That's great you are joining the gym! Start out slow so you don't make yourself miserable (then you might not go back lol). Slowly increase time and intensity. Getting started is the hardest part. You can do it!

I have to agree with BetsyB - my 62lb Shepherd/Husky mix is the best personal trainer ever. She wakes me up at 6:00am to go for a walk. She howls at me at 6:00pm to go for another walk. And it's different than paying for the gym or doing a quick TaeBo video in the basement. I can't claim to be too tired or too busy - if Max and I don't go for a walk, she gets very upset with me (and she might pee on the floor)! One year and 100lbs. ago, we started off barely able to do a half mile without gasping for air. Today, we do about 2 miles on each walk. What a way to start the day!

The *most* important thing about choosing an exercise routine is choosing one that you'll like and stick to. I LOVE group exercise, and that really motivates me. But I also love to dance and just got Zumba videos to do at home. I love to walk in the sunshine, and do that with my dog.

Please don't feel that the only acceptable form of exercise is at the gym-- it might be right for you, or it might be a huge waste of money. You should include some form of cardiovascular exercise (walking, dancing, biking) and some strength training (which can be with weights, bands or even just body weight). Both can be done at home or in the gym (or outside).

Try lots of different things-- I didn't know that I loved cardio kickboxing until I tried it. I didn't know that I HATED boot camp until I tried that! :smile:

Just don't get stuck with a year-long contract at a gym that you can't get out of if you don't like it. Try out some dvds from the library--- free and you can see what you like/don't like. Exercise bands are inexpensive from a place like Dick's Sporting Goods.

Good luck! You'll find your favorite thing!