Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

soft diet help please

i am in need of some soft diet help.i am getting tired of the soft diet. so if anyone has any soft diet ideas they want to share please bring them on! also i am wondering if we can have bread during the soft diet. you know things like muffins or toast or even pancakes. just something else to add the diet to help get thru the day.

thanks for all the help in advance!

Amos

Hey Amos, I would say that breads are not part of mushy, not by a long shot.

Search the food thread. There is a great thread on ethnic foods somewhere there.

You can puree just about anything for the mushy stage (so my doc tells me).

I am starting mushies on Saturday, the only thing I have in mind right now is refried Beans, mashed sweet taters, I'm going to mash up some fish and see how that goes, maybe some chili (after I put it in my chopper/masher), stuff like that.

I don't even want to think about bread at this stage... scares me from what everyone says.

Soft boiled eggs go down really well. I like mashed potatoes and the egg mixed right in, you can add salt and it is really tasty. You can use dried potato flakes and it is yummy. I also liked the cottage cheese and mashed fruit, you can just mash it up with a fork or blend it in the blender.

I also liked those thick Soups by Campbell and just whirled them in a blender.

see that is the t hing before the lapband i hardly ever ate bread and now i am thinking man if i could just have some toast!! or some muffins that would be great. i am just running out of ideas for soft foods. thank goodness i only have a couple of more weeks and then i'll be done with the soft foods diet! i have had some mac n cheese and some other Pasta noodles because they are soft but i don't want to do to many heavy carbs. i could do some boiled eggs, buti think i'll devil first before eating them. hehe.

thanks everyone for your support.

Amos

Amos, I feel your pain! But when I have tried bread, even really crispy toasted bread, it has not been good to me. I give only miss it now when it comes with a meal and I forget to tell them not to bring it or if I'm at one of those places where they keep the breadsticks coming.

Every person has their own problem foods or sure bets. You will find yours through trial and error (and the advice of others, of course!).

Check out the food section. I have found ideas there.

Good luck!

Colleen

(40 lbs gone since 7/20)

It is all trial and error. I had alot of different things on the soft food stage. Buy some fat free, sugar free frozen yogurt and add some fat free whipped cream to it...'pretend' it is a sundae, or mash up some bananas and get some fat free vanilla pudding w/whipped topping...yummy! I am a big sweet freak and this helped out alot with those sugar cravings....I became a whipped cream fanatic at night! I put it on my Jell-o too. I would also buy the less sugar cereals (Fruity Pebbles!) and let it get a little soggy and it would go down fine....sugar free popsicles and fudgsicles are great too. But as far as the meals I would have eggs, grits or oatmeal in the morning. lunch would be tuna w/mayo and seasonings or a Soup-at-Hand...dinner i loved eating refried Beans with ALL the fixings but lettuce and w/out the chips or taco shells or a gourmet soup...a Soup different from lunchtime to kind of jazz it up a little or baked fish w/mashed potatos. But bread, NO WAY!!! WOOOO...that just hurts. Do not worry about the carbs so much because if you think about...exactly how much are you actually getting down? Not much....it isn't like you are eating a pizza or the never-ending Pasta bowl at the Olive Garden! You are not taking in that many carbs like you might have done before...I had to get my mind wrapped around that and now I am eating carbs but not alot. Good luck!

I ate hummas, pudding, yougart, apple sauce, i would mash up tunafish, canned chicken, canned salmon and eat that. soft cheeses, mush, scrambled eggs. I was so excited to get to refried Beans, i bought cans of them I didnt eat them once because i mashed up the above.

I also cooked salmon, make a sauce for the top and mashed it up.

I am on mushy right now. I love the fat free cottage cheese with some mashed peaches. Refried Beans thinned and topped with fatfree sour cream and grated cheese. Any Soup pureed is good.... bean and bacon, broccoli and cheese, cream of chicken. Yogurt makes an excellent base for smoothies/shakes, just add some protien powder and whatever sounds good. I havent had any problems with the mushy foods, and I try to avoid things with too much sugar and fat due to insulin issues. I would stay away from the bread, why fill up on such empty calories anyway?

Ok....go out to Target and buy a small kitchen chopper. They aren't very expensive. Then....put some tuna in there with some real mayo and chop the beejeeezus out of it. MUSHY! I also would cook a chicken breast, put mayo and some green onion in the chopper and get 'er goin'. MUSHY! I put beef in there too....I also used to cook ground beef and while that was cooking put a hunk of Velveeta in there, get that all chopped down...then put in the hot browned beef and a splash of enchilada sauce. It all melted together to be a sort of thick Soup consistency. A dollop of sour cream on top! YUM! Right now don't worry about all the calories, worry about eating soft.

There are quite literally TONS of ideas out there. You just have to get into the mushy mindset!

i was told by my DR.s office that we couldn't have meat (unless it was fish) for five weeks after the surgery. that is what is the hardest on me, i do not like fish. so i am basically a vegetarian for right now and i'm going bonkers!!!! is it ok to eat meat if it is soft or chopped up then? that would solve alot of me troubles!

Well.....I suggest double checking with your doctor or nutritionist first, but I'm thinking yeah....meat chopped up all to heck was okay by my doc. Check with yours first!!!

My doc told me to treat it just like feeding a baby and that there is no need to eat loads of sweet yogurt, puddings etc, but that you can eat normal food in puree form, so that probably excludes bread, pancakes and the like.

Suggested menu for a day, for exampe is:

Breakfast

1/2 a weebix, mushed up with milk (build up to 2 weetbix over a few weeks)

Mid morning

1/2 cup pureed fruit

lunch

1/2 cup pureed meal - meat/fish, vegetables and a mushy veg like pumpkin, sweet potato to get it to the right consistency

Afternoon

1/2 tub low fat yogurt

dinner

same as lunch

So nutrient wise you should be getting pretty much the same mix of fruit/veg and carbs and Proteins that you would have on an ordinary diet, just mushed up and with a bit less variety.

And as with a baby, when you transition onto solids, make the purees chunkier and chunkier.

I'm just going to do what I did with my kids, cook up a variety of meals thinks like lamb shank casserole, veges and mashed potato, freeze in single size portions and eat as required.

Oh yeah tuna fish YUM !!!!

I just posted a thread on the food board for mock mashed taters using cauliflower. Check it out. Im gonna be making lots of that stuff.