Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will this work for me?...

Hello!

I've just joined this group today... I'm not sure where to start so I guess I'll start from the beginning. I'm 31 years old, 5'2, I weigh about 300 lbs. I haven't weighed myself for about a year now...

Anytime I've gone to the Dr. Im in "good health"... I HAVE been warned that I am Pre-diabetic...so that is a MAJOR issues that I must address.

I started gaining weight when I was 11 years old as I was going through puberty. Before that, I was a small skinny little girl. But, I've been over weight my entire adult life.

When I was 19 years old I was told by a Dr that I had PCOS. I do have some of the symptums of PCOS such as facial hair, darker areas on my body and I also have irregular periods.

I've never been an over eater nor have I been an emotional eater. Most people I know eat more than I do but it doesn't matter I stay fat. I've worked out every day for 6 months straight and didn't lose a pound. I've gone vegetarian for a year and lost a total of 25 lbs. I've had a personal trainer put me on diets and the results were minimal.

I am about to get married...I want to have children and I feel that I cannot have children being this size. There's to many risks for me and mostly for the baby. I want to be able to have children, healthy children and I want to be able to play with them and live a long, healthy, life with my family.

I'm seriously considering the Lap-band Surgery. I am terrified of what would happen if I actually did lose weight and be the size I should be... as I have no idea what it's like to actually be small. I've NEVER shopped at a "normal size" clothing store, I'm in absolute pain when I wear high heels and that is IF i can actually find a pair that fit my chubby feet. I've never been able to cross my legs like a lady and I've never been able to wear a lot of jewelry as my hands are so chubby, my wrists are thick and my neck is kinda fat too.

I've been doing my own research for a few months now about Gastric bypass vs Lap-Banding. For me it seems that I'm rather do the banding.

I guess I'm just wondering if this would work for me being someone who's very over weight but I've never had much success with anything that I've tried.

Thanks so much!

~Kia

Well I may be a good person to talk to...My dad had Gastric Bypass about 4 years ago...My wife has PCOS...and I am getting banded 3/23/10.

First and foremost start by finding a Bariatric Surgeon near you...go to one or two or three different ones (whichever you prefer)...I researched my surgeon well before I did a visit...I then went to the Seminar...the doctor went over both procedures (Band vs. By-pass) and answered any questions you may have...VERY informative in my case...I knew a little bit before hand that banding was the way to go for me...once you decide if it is a fit...sit tight its a little bit of a journey jumping through all the hoops to get all the approvals...be a good little circus monkey like me and it won't hurt...and now that's where I am at...

As for the PCOS don't worry there are MANY options if it is still an issue after the weight loss...a lot of over weight people are diagnosed with PCOS (not always an accurate diagnosis). My wife if a bit of a different case she is thin and fit (140ish 5'10") and was still diagnosed with PCOS...yes I know it affects all sizes of women but there are options out there...my wife and I now have 3 one year olds (fertility...1.8% chance of triplets happening so don't fear fertility, if its needed)...

Begin the life changing journey...lose the weight and see all the doors that WILL open...

PM if you have any questions...

I am going to be what seems like unpleasantly blunt with you. Please understand that this bluntness comes from a woman who also has physiological obstacles that make weight loss more difficult than it is for many; I really am saying this with kindness.

You state that you don't overeat. You do. You weigh 300 pounds--and that simply is NOT achievable without overeating. Now, your version of overeating may be very, very different from that of someone else---someone whose metabolism is not challenged.

However, you are consistently eating more than YOUR body requires, and this has resulted in morbid obesity.

Now, if you're like me, the gain came from eating apparently reasonable portions (again, reasonable to someone ELSE'S body!) at reasonable times, such as mealtimes. This really is frustrating, and perplexing. Believe me, I understand how confusing it is to eat what you're told is the right combo of foods in the right amounts---and exercise each day---only to see the scale go up. I truly do empathize.

The very good news is that, for me, the band has been perfect. PERFECT. Why? Because in order to cut down my intake to a level where weight loss is possible, I have to go waaaaaaaaaaay down, calorie-wise (and tune out everyone who tells me, "You really need 1200 calories a day!)

Without the band, I could do this only for a finite time. Now that I'm approaching good restriction with the band, I can see that I will be able to comfortably (comfortably!!) stick with this intake level until---and after--I reach my goal. It is amazingly freeing---awesome!

You will likely find many who suggest, at your weight, that bypass is the route to take. It might be---you will have to assess that for yourself. For me, the band has done exactly what I needed to have done.

But I first had to admit that I did, indeed, overeat. I ate less than anyone I know--but I was overeating for my body's needs, and I had to assume responsibility for changing myself.

As for the PCOS--that's a tricky one. It can be a chicken-egg situation; while it is a bona fide syndrome that does affect weight, it is not destiny. Furthermore, obesity itself can mimic it---many times, it vanishes along with the excess weight. If it does not in your case, you will be able to find someone to help you manage its symptoms and improve your odds of a healthy, happy pregnancy.

Good luck!

Besty, thank you so much for your input! Although it's hard to admit, I think you're right. The frustrating part is that I started gaining weight when my eating habits hadn't changed.

But, now, I usually only eat twice a day and one of those times is pretty late at night. I work in a job where my hours are from 2pm-11pm.

Something I do notice is that whenever I do eat, it doesn't take much before I'm full. I've been told that because of the foods I eat as well as the fact that I only eat two times a day my body is in constant starvation?

I truly think my metabolism is completely out of wack!

The trouble is, I've tried so many things and nothing seems to give me any REAL results. I admit I've grown tired of this constant battle.

The Lap-Band really seems like something that COULD work for me...the fact that it's less invasive on my body, the recovery time is faster, attempting to get pregnant after this seems to have better odds and I'd rather lose at a slower steady pace so my body can adjust... Gastric Bypass scares the crap out of me!

I am going to be what seems like unpleasantly blunt with you. Please understand that this bluntness comes from a woman who also has physiological obstacles that make weight loss more difficult than it is for many; I really am saying this with kindness.

You state that you don't overeat. You do. You weigh 300 pounds--and that simply is NOT achievable without overeating. Now, your version of overeating may be very, very different from that of someone else---someone whose metabolism is not challenged.

However, you are consistently eating more than YOUR body requires, and this has resulted in morbid obesity.

Now, if you're like me, the gain came from eating apparently reasonable portions (again, reasonable to someone ELSE'S body!) at reasonable times, such as mealtimes. This really is frustrating, and perplexing. Believe me, I understand how confusing it is to eat what you're told is the right combo of foods in the right amounts---and exercise each day---only to see the scale go up. I truly do empathize.

The very good news is that, for me, the band has been perfect. PERFECT. Why? Because in order to cut down my intake to a level where weight loss is possible, I have to go waaaaaaaaaaay down, calorie-wise (and tune out everyone who tells me, "You really need 1200 calories a day!)

Without the band, I could do this only for a finite time. Now that I'm approaching good restriction with the band, I can see that I will be able to comfortably (comfortably!!) stick with this intake level until---and after--I reach my goal. It is amazingly freeing---awesome!

You will likely find many who suggest, at your weight, that bypass is the route to take. It might be---you will have to assess that for yourself. For me, the band has done exactly what I needed to have done.

But I first had to admit that I did, indeed, overeat. I ate less than anyone I know--but I was overeating for my body's needs, and I had to assume responsibility for changing myself.

As for the PCOS--that's a tricky one. It can be a chicken-egg situation; while it is a bona fide syndrome that does affect weight, it is not destiny. Furthermore, obesity itself can mimic it---many times, it vanishes along with the excess weight. If it does not in your case, you will be able to find someone to help you manage its symptoms and improve your odds of a healthy, happy pregnancy.

Good luck!

My metabolism is totally whacked out, too. And the band has been a godsend. Truly.

My fiancé and I are both attending a Lab-Band seminar at the end of this month (March 31)...We're both super excited about this.

I'm putting together a list of questions that I want to ask. If anyone has ANY suggested questions that I need to ask, please let me know!