Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lost 19 lbs in 3 weeks .. eating regular now.. need advices please

i had my band surgery on 22nd february ..

till now i lost 19 lbs (9 kgs) :thumbup:

i started eating regular diet and i am lost what do from here ..

my doctor says ..that normal regular diet .with no sweets . and sports will do the weight loss ..my BMR is 1806

.. i am lost whether to be on a diet or just control my food habits and watch my calories ?

what am i expected to do .. and how much to lose next

eat 1000 calories a day ?

workout 4-5 days ..?

and that

:crying: good luck for everyone

i appreciate your help and support thanks

jasmine :frown:

Edited by jasmine mino

I'm surprised that you haven't been advised about this. I'm only banded a week so not there yet, but you should eat a sensible balance diet. Just don't over do it. Find out things that agree with you and eat in moderation. Hopefully your restriction will keep that in check. Just watch out. I saw someone post that they were discouraged because just a few weeks in she couldn't understand why she was able to eat 4 slices of French Toast without being full. I can't understand why someone who is dedicated to losing weight and studied up on what they need to do would even consider putting 4 slices of French Toast on her plate. This procedure isn't about seeing where your fill limit is. It's about being able to control caloric intake while LEARNING a new way of eating sensibly.

Jasmine, congratulations on your great loss so far!! :frown:

Your continued success is going to be hinged on restricted portions, keeping Protein as your first priority always, being sure you get your Vitamins, regular exercise...and a whole list of other behavior changes.

Although technically, I've been told that there aren't any foods you can't have once you've successfully progressed to solids, there may be certain foods that you won't be able to tolerate. In any case, you must be careful...before you've had your first band adjustment, you don't really have restriction, so you may be tempted to eat more than you should, and that will stall your weight loss. My guidelines say that a meal on solids is only 4 OUNCES of food total...that's a little smaller than a standard deck of playing cards in volume! So, when you eat, you have to be careful to make really good choices to help support yourself nutritionally.

I'd like to suggest that you find a nutritionist or dietitian who has worked with weight loss surgery patients, and get some better, more specific guidelines on what you should be eating now. There are books available as well that will help you. Or, go back to your doctor and ask for more information. Exercise is really important, but it's not going to get you where you want to be all by itself.

I wish you all the best on your journey!

Christine

I'm surprised that you haven't been advised about this. I'm only banded a week so not there yet, but you should eat a sensible balance diet. Just don't over do it. Find out things that agree with you and eat in moderation. Hopefully your restriction will keep that in check. Just watch out. I saw someone post that they were discouraged because just a few weeks in she couldn't understand why she was able to eat 4 slices of French Toast without being full. I can't understand why someone who is dedicated to losing weight and studied up on what they need to do would even consider putting 4 slices of French Toast on her plate. This procedure isn't about seeing where your fill limit is. It's about being able to control caloric intake while LEARNING a new way of eating sensibly.

thnx for your answer. i wanted to make sure .. my doctor told me you have to watch but not very closely .. and you have to change habits and exercise i was puzzled as it was my first day on normal food

Jasmine, congratulations on your great loss so far!! :)

Your continued success is going to be hinged on restricted portions, keeping Protein as your first priority always, being sure you get your Vitamins, regular exercise...and a whole list of other behavior changes.

Although technically, I've been told that there aren't any foods you can't have once you've successfully progressed to solids, there may be certain foods that you won't be able to tolerate. In any case, you must be careful...before you've had your first band adjustment, you don't really have restriction, so you may be tempted to eat more than you should, and that will stall your weight loss. My guidelines say that a meal on solids is only 4 OUNCES of food total...that's a little smaller than a standard deck of playing cards in volume! So, when you eat, you have to be careful to make really good choices to help support yourself nutritionally.

I'd like to suggest that you find a nutritionist or dietitian who has worked with weight loss surgery patients, and get some better, more specific guidelines on what you should be eating now. There are books available as well that will help you. Or, go back to your doctor and ask for more information. Exercise is really important, but it's not going to get you where you want to be all by itself.

I wish you all the best on your journey!

Christine

i joined Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

and i calculated calories .. maybe i am just scared i dont lose as much ..or as i would want to

i wanted to know what to expect :)

thnx for ur answer

my doctor told me you have to watch but not very closely .
IMO, he's wrong. At least until you achieve restriction, you really do need to watch closely. Once you've got restriction, the band will help with portion control---but making good choices is still up to you. It's important to give your body what it needs, and that does not always coincide with our preop conceptions of "eating normal." (If it were normal, we would not have required bariatric surgery.)

I second the advice to seek out the counsel of a dietitian/nutritionist VERY experienced with bariatric patients.

If you consulted with a nutritionist before your surgery, then it might be a good idea to give him/her a call and express your concerns. It is vital that you get enough lean Protein. And veggies too (I love swiss chard and kale, they pack the most nutrients per serving). Take your Vitamins and drink lots of Water. I find that measuring things gives me peace of mind regarding Portion Control. Once you get restriction, portion control should get much easier.

Best of luck!