Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgical consult question

I had my surgical consult yesterday. I've had my mind set on lap band all along, but the surgeon was suggesting gastric sleeve as a good option. He seemed to feel there are less complications, greater weight loss, less work involved than the lap band...in his words "more bang for your buck"! BUT I can't imagine having a portion of my stomach removed permanently! That's just scary :cursing:. After discussing that my bmi at this point is 32 (I lost 25 pounds to qualify for the surgery), and I am willing to do the work required with lap band, he agreed to do the lapband. I'm scheduled for 3/31/10. It feels like the right decision for me. I'm just wondering how people here on the board feel about lap band v.s. gastric sleeve? Thanks for any input.

I had my surgical consult yesterday. I've had my mind set on LAP-BAND® all along, but the surgeon was suggesting gastric sleeve as a good option. He seemed to feel there are less complications, greater weight loss, less work involved than the LAP-BAND®...in his words "more bang for your buck"! BUT I can't imagine having a portion of my stomach removed permanently! That's just scary :unsure:. After discussing that my bmi at this point is 32 (I lost 25 pounds to qualify for the surgery), and I am willing to do the work required with LAP-BAND®, he agreed to do the LAP-BAND®. I'm scheduled for 3/31/10. It feels like the right decision for me. I'm just wondering how people here on the board feel about LAP-BAND® v.s. gastric sleeve? Thanks for any input.

If you are extremely overweight, there are various medical procedures that can help you lose the excess weight. Some of them include a gastric bypass, lap-band, and a gastric sleeve operation. The sleeve procedure removes a large portion of your stomach and converts it into a tube. There are numerous disadvantages of this procedure. This article will discuss the disadvantages of a gastric sleeve operation.

Irreversible

One of the first disadvantages of a gastric sleeve is that the procedure is irreversible. Unlike gastric bypass surgery, over 60 percent of your stomach is permanently removed and can't be reversed. However, a gastric sleeve procedure can be converted to other weight loss procedures.

Leaking

A gastric sleeve operation requires staples to be inserted into the stomach. There is always a chance that a leak may occur. These leaking fluids frequently become infected after they leak out of the stomach and can cause serious health problems.

Weight

Another disadvantage is that this procedure does not always produce the weight loss that you may expect. It is also possible to regain lost weight with a gastric sleeve. Snacks and foods with a lot of calories can make the procedure virtually ineffective. Also, patients who have a higher body mass index will usually have to have a second procedure to help lose more weight.

Stretching

Stretching of the gastric sleeve is yet another disadvantage. Your stomach tube may stretch out after awhile and cause you to regain any weight you may have already lost. A gastric sleeve doesn't have any devices to prevent it from stretching over time or to reduce its size after it has already stretched out.

Insurance

One of the last disadvantage of a gastric sleeve operation has to do with insurance. This procedure is rarely a covered benefit of most insurance companies because they consider it to be experimental. This means that the company likely won't pay for the procedure so you would have to pay for it yourself. At an average price of $8,000, this is out of range for most people.

Honestly, I wouldn't do the gastric sleeve or the gastir bypass. If I were like 800 pounds, I would do it, but since I'm not, I will stick with the lap band. If you feel as though your surgeon is pushing you into something that you don't want, I would find a second opinion.

The above was from: Five Disadvantages of a Gastric Sleeve Operation, Page 2 of 2 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Be aware that the article noted above was published nearly three years ago, and there parts of it that are presently inaccurate.

The sleeve is a very viable alternative to the Lap Band, and is being covered by more and more insurance plans all the time.

One very important component of the Sleeve procedure is the fact that in the portion of the stomach that is removed there is a gland called the "Fundus", which secretes a hormone called Ghrelin. This Hormone is also sometimes called the "Hunger Hormone" because of the role it plays creating the sensation of hunger. When the sleeve procedure is performed, the Fundus is removed. As a result, hunger is dramatically reduced. Some people consider this to be a major benefit of the sleeve. Other people are not thrilled with this aspect. It is very individual.

The biggest down side of the Sleeve is the fact that it is the MOST permanent of ALL the procedures. There is no going back if there problems....

Having said that, I will tell you that it is a very good solution to the problem of obesity. Many people have had very good results with the Sleeve.

The Lap Band has it's share of problems, and you need to be aware of that as well. Slippage is always a possibility, and erosion is a big problem as well. The incidence of complications with the Band has been rising steadily, and there are Doctors who say that the band is best as a short-to-medium term solution. And, there Doctors who say that the Lap is a bad solution and will eventually be removed from the market, in it's present form.

ALL of the various surgeries have their good and bad elements, but the important thing is that you choose the one that is right for YOU. The surgeries are not as interchangeable as some might have you believe. Different weight issues and eating disorders require different surgeries to be successful.

In your case, I would consider seeking a second opinion, if you are confused about the options. Doctors recommend different procedures for different reasons, and it's not always because it's the best option for the patient. I usually suggest that people talk to at LEAST three different doctors before deciding on a procedure.

Best of luck in whatever course you choose!