Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Us Who Have Problems Starting Excercising

Well i like step arobic classes.. They are fun and they can be low impact if you want them to be. I go the the step classes at my gym i had alot of fun but at first i was kinda intimadated im a beginer and i didnt know that the gyms competiitive step arobics team practiced in the same class i go to. lol.

Lately i havent been going to go work out. Im thinking im anemic or something im exausted to go. Im always exausted. But i still try to stay active like walking extra or running around.

Kim

Thanks, On your reccommendation I felt urged to buy it, so it is on my way to me now and hopefully it will be just what i need to get motivated. Thanks Again.

I waited a good 5 months before I got up the motivation to exercise. I started with a yoga class at the community night school. Well, that opened up the flood gates. Since then I have joined a gym, go at least three times a week, and can't wait till yoga classes start up again. I think the key is finding the right groups of videos. The yoga instructor was very aware of the different body types in her group. The gym I joined caters to cardia rehab and seniors although all are invited to join. My job involved working with seniors so I have no problem exercising with them. It is a whole lot better and less threatening than exercising next to people who are already in shape

I love going to the gym, my favorite thing is weight lifting..which I will be starting up again tomorrow (yeah 6weeks out). My favorite cardio was zumba, but the instructor doesn't teach it anymore during the day, and I can't motivate myself to make a trip back in the evenings. Spinning is great, but recently took a begining class that the instructor had us do a 15 minute incline and that about kicked my butt. Most days I do the elliptical and treadmill for cardio.

One of the things I think there is a real shortage of is trainers that know what its like to be overweight. How some exercises are just near impossible when you have so much mass in certain areas. Pilates...I stopped going, cause I felt like a beached whale in the current class. I took it a couple of years ago and LOVED it...but it was a different class group and different instructor. I think the instructors make all the difference. I'm really considering working on getting a personal training certification and have even been checking at the local college about maybe getting a pysh ed degree...since it seems to be the only thing availble with the courses I think would be benificial. I would like to work with maybe baratric patients or just people that have never exercised and feel intimidated by gym enviorments. Does that sound like a doable goal? or am I just caught up int he excitement of weight loss. One of the reasons I elected to have the lapband was that I had been working out for over 2 years five days a week, for 1.5-2 hour sessions without losing weight. (other than a small amount) Even though I didn't loose a large amount of weight, I never felt stronger or healthier. My doctor actually told me at one point when I was trying to convience him that I needed this surgery said "But you are the healthiest heavy person I've seen" LOL, kinda of a backhanded compliment?

Oh and exercise tapes/dvds anyone try the belly dancing workouts. They are alot of fun, it almost doesn't feel like you are working out..notice I say almost...because you will feel it the next day. :)

Well need to get off to bed...lots to do tomorrow.

Melissa

I'm really considering working on getting a personal training certification and have even been checking at the local college about maybe getting a pysh ed degree...since it seems to be the only thing availble with the courses I think would be benificial. I would like to work with maybe baratric patients or just people that have never exercised and feel intimidated by gym enviorments. Does that sound like a doable goal?

I think that is EXCELLENT thinking. I think you would be a great asset to any gym. Teach some group weight training/free weights and do some personal training for the big bucks. Yeah...keep thinking in that direction. Wonderful!!!

Speaking of trainers, I'm disgusted with my current gym. I know more than the idiots working there. It takes very little knowledge and training in Australia to become a certified fitness instructor.

When I went in for my first assessment 12 months ago, it took all of 10 minutes and he just belted out a stock standard program, did not listen to my concerns about a sore heel, did not check out my card after any of my workouts (you leave them out to be ticked, signed and filed, they were always just filed). When they rang 6 months later to see how I was going I said I needed a new program becuase by then my problem with my ankle had become pronounced. I wanted a circuit program around the weights machines, avoiding the treadmill and elliptical and the bike becuase they ALL irritated my ankle at that point in time. They had no idea how to create a cardio circuit on weight machines. Pathetic. I made it up myself and I just do what I feel like when I go in now.

Usually I prefer working out at home, I get better info and instruction from DVD's and looking up stuff on the internet and I can work out my own rotations from my library of DVD's to keep challening myself without having to make an appointment and pay for a personal training session. I wont be renewing my membership when it falls due in Feb.

Melissa

That is an excellant idea. I work in physical rehab and we keep getting inservices on how to work with the bariatric patient. I think it may be the next up and coming field! Good luck

Thats one of the reasons I wanted to take some courses at the local college. Here too all it seems to require to get certified as a personal trainer is to take an exam. That seems stupid to me. I have not used a personal trainer myself, I have researched and created my routines myself. There is alot of nonsense out there though...and when I first strated lifting I even heard it from some of the trainers at the gym. Stupid stuff like women should do more reps with lower weights if they dont' want to bulk up. I'm sorry, but women have to do some major lifting and usually on some time of supplement to aquire "bulking" up. I usually lift as heavy as I can and accomplish 3 sets. I'm not bulky muslce wise..and I've been lifting heavy for over 2 years.

Have you tried wearing and ankle brace while exercising? And have you had your feet checked? I found out my knee promblem was actually a foot and stride promblem. And with the proper foot wear I dont' have a promblem with it anymore. Also Pilates is a great work out for those that have trouble doing standard cardio workouts. Swimming is also great, and you will be suprised at how much of a work out it can be.

Melissa

Yes, you go for it, I think you'll make a great trainer with that attitude! Good luck :-)

Yes, I've had my feet checked, its largely due to a flattened arch problem transferring itself through the ankle, overstretching all the tendons, causing achilles tendonitis and a rather bad case of bursitis in the ankle. I've now got orthotics and regular physio is helping to get the inflammation down and I had a cortisone shot about 8 weeks ago which is now beginning to wear off. I think I can have one more, they dont want to do too many as it can cause problems. So I have probably another sixteen week window to get as much weight off as possible, which should be a fair bit the first 16 weeks after banding. And I do wear a brace. I think I set it off last summer by walking round in thongs all season (and I mean flip flop shoes, lol, not underwear), and other flat shoes, which are all in fashion at the moment. I cant get away with that, I need better shoes, have been investing in lots of cool birkenstocks.

I've been swimming, I can now tolerate all the machines, except not too much treadmill which is unfortunately what I love, I do a deep Water running class at my local pool, and have adapted some stuff to the rebounder which is kind of 80's but fun!

I found out I had feet promblems when my knee started acting up while training for a marathon a few years ago. I was up to 18 miles in training (which is pretty much half way) but walking 18 miles on the weekends and then the short 3-5 mile walks during the week were taking a toll on my knee. I had to admit defeat and went to see a sports chriopractor for evaluation and he sent me to the foot doc. I have to say...I haven't had any promblems with it since, but I also haven't tried walking 18 miles at once either again. LOL I think once I'm at a reasonable weight I'd like to revisit the marathon goal again. I had suprisingly alot of fun training for it, and would love to say I completed a marathon some day. Sounds like you have a good plan for yourself now...sometimes we are the best judge of what works for us.

Melissa

Oh gosh I'd love to run again! I'm not sure whether that's a realistic goal at 38 but my 36 year old sister took it up a few years ago and has done several half marathons. Boy does she look incredible!!!! Not stringy skinny but super fit and that is my goal too. I dont want to just be skinny.

Hopefully you'll get back to it too. It's an incredible rush.

Has anybody tried that exersice ball? It looks like it would not really help with weight loss just toning up. Also I have never done yoga before, is it also for toning? Just curious.