Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we talk pre-op diets?

Ok, can we talk pre-op diets? I have really hated the first part of mine but now I'm a lot better. Basically, out of the gate I had the medifast "food", but I couldn't stand the taste of it and would gag. I can drink the shakes and hot chocolate - that's not a problem. It's the "soups" and "pancakes" and crap that I'm like "uh -no". Plus, I was getting maybe 600 calories/day and in the meantime I was doing 2 mile walks at work, so I was having terrible headaches.

My dietitian authorized me to have lean meats (chicken, etc.) so that I wouldn't be so deprived. I still have the broths and stuff. I'm worried that my liver won't shrink but I read up on the low-carb diets and everywhere says it will help shrink the liver. I lost more weight now that I've added the chicken to my diet than before when I didn't have it.

I'd love to hear about your pre-op diet. What did your doc recommend and how did you do on it? So far, I'm down maybe 4-5 lbs? (it's been a week) I feel like I should be down more, but that's been it.

Tomorrow I start a low carb, low fat diet that I follow until the 2 week pre-op liquid diet with the Protein shakes. It will be a littl difficult but I'm sure I'll manage.

Good luck

In 8 days, I start my pre-op liquid diet with Optifast, and nothing else besides Water. :thumbup:

I am in day 5 of my pre-op diet. I am allowed two Bariatric Advantage shakes and one bowl of vegetable Soup a day. I can drink all the Water that I want...whoo-hoo!

I have to tell you....the first 3 days were so completely horrible. It felt like my stomach wanted to eat my intestines. Day 4 and 5 are much better but I still have an awful headache that won't go away. I am pretty weak, but I don't feel as bad as I did when I first started.

Good luck to all of you!

Will al the stories I am reading on this forum, I'm beginning to think that maybe the pre-op diet ought to be 3-4 weeks long with a gradual decrease in calories per day each week and restrict what foods you can eat til you get down to the just the liquids the last 10 days-2 wks or so. Kind of like the post-op plan but backwards - a little food, then mushies and some liquid down to just liquid. 2 weeks of just liquid seems a little like trying to quit smoking cold turkey. I admire the will power of all you who were able to do it.

I am in day 5 of my pre-op diet. I am allowed two Bariatric Advantage shakes and one bowl of vegetable Soup a day. I can drink all the Water that I want...whoo-hoo!

I have to tell you....the first 3 days were so completely horrible. It felt like my stomach wanted to eat my intestines. Day 4 and 5 are much better but I still have an awful headache that won't go away. I am pretty weak, but I don't feel as bad as I did when I first started.

Good luck to all of you!

Can you have broths - chicken, beef, veggie bouillion? Swanson chicken broth is 10 cal per 1 cup serving. Each serving has 1g of protein; Beef is 15 cal per cup & 2g Protein and the Veggie is 15 cal also but no Protein. Maybe 3-4 cups a day would be enough to boost the weakness and help with the headache. Could the headaches be from caffeine withdrawel? Just a thought.

My pre-op diet includes liquids only for one week before surgery- low sugar, low fat, and only 20 grams of Protein a day. I am now on day 6 and am doing ok. I had really bad headaches for the first 2-3 days, but I was expecting them and would take Tylenol before they became too severe. I was also a little grumpy (lol!), but by day 3 I was getting used to the restriction. I think the post-op liquid diet will be a little easier because I'll be able to take in 60 gms of protein or more, so hopefully more filling. I'm just having a hard time with the sugars! I got a lot of sugar free items, but there was no definite number of sugars I was allowed to have and its hard to find no-sugar yogurt (which I eat every morning). I have stuck to the liquids, though.

I started my pre-op diet on Monday, the 15th. Today is day 3 and still doing okay. I have had the headaches, but have just taken tylenol or advil. They begin to ease up about 30 minutes later. I do have energy still, but I think my multi-Vitamin helps me alot. My 2 week diet is this:

3-5 Protein shakes (need 70 grams of Protein in a day)

sugar free Jello

sugar free popsicles

Crystal light or Water

chicken broth

Lettuce

Spray dressing

I am so thankful for the lettuce, dressing, and chicken broth. Those three have really helped me keep it together. food smells are the worst for me. When all the girls I work with warm their lunch it is hard to just keep eating my lettuce. :lol:

But, only a week shy and then it will be a thing of the past. Today, my appetite has been pretty dull. I'm not really that hungry for my shakes, but force them down anyway. My daughters 2nd birthday is this Saturday, which I am sure will bring some unexpected challenges. As for the ride home tonight, I'll be eating my lettuce and spray dressing for dinner!!:cursing:

I had been required to be on the Medifast for 2 weeks preop, but it ended up to be 4 while I was waiting for the insurance company to get back to us. I really didn't mind it too much...my problem, since I spend 4 hours a day commuting, was getting in the 5 Medifast meals. I wasn't always successful, but I did pretty well.

Best to you,

Christine

I am so grateful for this site! Reading everyones post keeps me in check and reminds me I am not alone. Today is day 3 of my 3 week liquid diet. I have a lot of excess weight to shed so have to shrink that liver! At least thats what I keep reminding myself. The past 3 days have been pretty miserable BUT on a positive note I have lost 13 lbs already :cursing:!

My pre-op diet consists of three Isopure Protein shakes a day and three table spoons of low carb yogurt...nothing more is allowed... I'm on day four, I have 8 days left...i've dropped 8 pds. so far.

I feel weak but just trying to remember that its only for a bit longer!

It is amazing on how everyone's iet is just a little different. I am on 3 Protein shakes a day and Clear liquids (all I want!! WOOOHH WWHHOOOOO). I am almost to surgery and just ready to move onto the next part of this. I am so weak yet cannot sleep but keep telling myself it is for the best.

Thanks for being able to read everyone story and know that there are others going through it too.

I still don't have a date but for nearly 3 weeks I have been on a modified liquid diet. shakes plus 1 "healthy" meal per day, which for me has been lean meat, greens, fruit. Sometimes I scatter the "meal" throughout the day. In that time I have lost another 11-12 lbs.

Wow, it is really weird how each dr. is soooo different on what they want for Pre-op diet. Here is mine:

All the "clear" broth I want

1c. canned fruit or 2 small pieces of fresh fruit per day

3 servings per day of: 8oz light yogurt, 1/2 c. cottage cheese, sugar free pudding

2 cups per day of raw veggies

1c. per day of no sugar added juice

2 c. per day of skim milk

2 low-carb shakes per day

All the Water, sugar-free beverages, and sugar free popsicles that I want.

multivitamin and tums each day.

I consider myself lucky after reading some of the diets out there.

I'm a little afraid of the pre-op diet, myself. My surgery is scheduled for May 10, which means that I start my pre-op diet on April 26. I'm supposed to have 4-5 Protein Shakes per day and that's all. Yuck!!! I'm already dreading it!! But I read someone's post that said they had to do it for 60 days, so I feel very fortunate.:frown: