Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jets Coach Get Lap Band

NY Jets coack Rex Ryan had LB surgery on Saturday. I am putting a link to the article on here. I say good for him, but what really caught my eye were some of the reader's comments after the article. Unbelievable how uninformed and cruel people can be, especially when hiding behind their computer.

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan undergoes lap-band surgery to fight obesity - ESPN

good for him and GO JETS! ahem and GIANTS lol

Good for him!

As for the comments, incredible. It's sad to think that this is what the general populationg thinks about WLS. If only the statistics were out there - only 5% of obese people can lose weight and keep it off.

Thanks ToddNYG - while my husband (Mr. Jacksonville Jaguar Fan & Tom Coughlin Lover) has been supportive, hearing that a football coach had the procedure and it made ESPN has made it more real for him.

It's interesting to see how weight loss surgery crosses every cross segment of the population. According to my surgeon, there's a surgeon in NYC whose had his band for 10+ years and there are a number of Hollywood celebs who we all think stay slim with no effort, who actually have had banding.:thumbup:

Good for Rex!! I think that negative comments arise from a lack of awareness about the band and what it does. Having a high profile sports figure getting the procedure done will certainly make people more aware. :thumbup:

It amazes me how some people can be critical about someone getting a Lap Band, but they don't care if people go on Jenny Craig or Nutra System and eat disgusting processed foods that are full of preservatives. And most of the time people don't keep the weight off with those programs.:smile2:

Thanks, Todd! I'm gonna share this with my husband who is considering the surgery (and is a big football fan).

The comments are horrid-- I can't believe people think that way. And it's not just about WLS, it's about obesity in general.

Those comments are absolutely disgusting. Just one more reminder of how ignorant and insensitive some people can be. Kudos to Rex Ryan and ESPN for going public with the story.

Those comments are crazy!

I especially love (hate) the ones from people who "had a friend who died from the procedure."

I think the people on this board know more people who have been banded than all those characters put together. How many "friends" do you know who have died from the procedure?

That one comment which is made in such a casual manner all over the internet has often scared my loved ones. I want who, when, and where when I see that comment or I simply don't believe it.

Nobody knows what it's like to walk in fat shoes unless you've been there.

Congrats Coach!

Wow - people are HARSH and ignorant.

Just confirms my thought that it IS always okay to bash obese people.

I love the ones that call him out for "taking the easy/lazy way out."

If only they, knew.

I'm coming from a similar situation - an old football player who never changed his eating habits after all the football exercise and extra lean muscle was gone. I'm about half a foot taller and weigh 30 pounds less than him, and he had his surgery 11 days ahead of me, but it will be cool to be able to compare myself with someone high profile.

It makes some of them feel better about themselves and others have the gang mentality.

I would have been entertained if there had been any original content but same old crap. May be next time.

Good for Rex! I applaud him for taking the step.

As for those commenters...WOW! :wub: I don't understand how people can judge others without ever walking in their shoes. What kills me is that automatically obese people are labeled as lazy and "eating 10 tacos". I mean, come ON. It amazes me how society still accepts the commentary regarding obese people but it's forbidden to comment on any other characteristic. Why is that? It should be that way for EVERYTHING - not just age, race, gender, socio-economic status, etc.

I'm so fed up with society right now. Ugh.

I am happy for Rex Ryan and I wish him the best.

I was completely blown away by the hateful comments that were posted. It has left such an impact on me as I get mentally ready for my surgery in 2 days. It was quite an eye opener. I thought as time went on, I would tell more people, but that's not about to happen after reading those hateful, ignorant, mean and stupid statements.

Good luck Rex!