Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How slow do you eat?

Ok this slow eating thing is interesting!

Last week I was starving and went to a chinese resturant by myself for lunch. Ordered chicken and veggies like a GG. I started scaffin..Then I was like duh slow down you fool! So I put my fork down and wathced my watch! I waited a full minute before taking the next bite.

So now I'm on the slow down kick with everyone in my house. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW FAST THEY EAT!

I don't always make it a full 1/2 hour, but I make it at least 20 minutes and then wait 1/2 hour to drink.

How about you?

I'm only on the thick liquids stage but I try to take even that slow. Liquids go down w/no sweat for me even thick ones. Saturday I start mushies I hope I can make 1/2 a cup of food last that long LOL !!!

It is really something you have to think about! I NEVER thought about it before! When I was on liquids my nutritionist told me it should take at least a half an hour to have a whole can! I was in shock. In the early days that ws no problem, but now! I have P shake every morning for Breakfast. I try to take at least 20 minutes though.

Good luck! The second hand on my watch has become a good frined of mine now too!

Your nutritionist is probably thinking in terms of gastro. The seminars I went to said I'd only be able to eat like a 1/2 cup, yeah right. As soon as I started mushy stage, I could eat more than that in a flash. My band buddy, who was banded directly after me, and I laughed at how we were told we'd only be abler to eat this tiny, itty bit. You have to remember you don't have a fill yet, or at least not a good one. My doctor said they're putting a slight fill into the band now during surgery.

Eventually - (like a few months down the road) - you will not think about small bites/slow eating. It will become a natural process.

Its kinda like driving your car to and from work EVERYDAY. For the first couple of weeks you had to be very mindful of turns and stop lights. Then, one day you realize that you dont remember getting yourself to work... the drive became a natural process.

So this eating slow/small bites thing is alot like that.

Hope Im making sense! :) sometimes I worry myself!

I eat pretty slow now - everyone always finishes before me. My boyfriend patiently waits for me at restaurants and things - if we're out in public and I'm not done eating 5 minutes or so after my boyfriend then I just forgo eating the rest because I don't want him to sit there and wait another 20 minutes for me - but at home I do it all the time. Its nothing for me to still be workin on my food 20 minutes after my boyfriend. At work I also take my time and notice how everyone finishes there second helpings while I work on my 1st. I've had to get used to cold food which I really don't like but hey its something that goes with the territory. But typically my dinner will last around 30 minutes - I eat less in the mornings for breakfast so its like 15-20 minutes.

I realize how slow i eat a lottttt! My fiancee(whos looking to have this same procedure done eventualy too) eats REALLY fast and i used to do the same as well. Now Im always done like 15-20 minutes after he is.LOL Ive noticed how i eat even SLOWER when we go out to eat...I hate PB'ing in public etc its SO uncomfortable to do in your own house nevermind in front of strangers. People who dont know ive had this done are always saying" wow,look at you heather savoring every bite!".....yes,thats it...you got me..LOL=)