Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've made up my mind

Hello. My name is Lucy. I've recently made up my mind about getting WLS in order to attain my weight loss goals. However, I have so many questions. I'm thinking perhaps I should list them...

-How do you know you're doing this for the right reasons?

Other than the health risks, I find that my weight limits other goals I'd like to accomplish. For example, I would like to get a PhD but I can't even fit into school desks. I don't want to have these limits on my life. That is the second reason why I've decided to do this and sometimes I think it's the number one reason. I have a fear that that may not be the right reason to go ahead with WLS.

-Is it normal to have doubts that WLS will work?

I've been overweight my entire life. The only time I actually lost some weight was when I lived outside of the US. As soon as I returned, I gained it all back. How do you deal with past experiences of having had everything fail and reconciling it with WLS?

These are my two biggest questions. I have tons more, but I want to explore the forum as well. I know others must have had these concerns too. Also, if anyone from San Antonio can offer me advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello. My name is Lucy. I've recently made up my mind about getting WLS in order to attain my weight loss goals. However, I have so many questions. I'm thinking perhaps I should list them...

-How do you know you're doing this for the right reasons?

Other than the health risks, I find that my weight limits other goals I'd like to accomplish. For example, I would like to get a PhD but I can't even fit into school desks. I don't want to have these limits on my life. That is the second reason why I've decided to do this and sometimes I think it's the number one reason. I have a fear that that may not be the right reason to go ahead with WLS.

-Is it normal to have doubts that WLS will work?

I've been overweight my entire life. The only time I actually lost some weight was when I lived outside of the US. As soon as I returned, I gained it all back. How do you deal with past experiences of having had everything fail and reconciling it with WLS?

These are my two biggest questions. I have tons more, but I want to explore the forum as well. I know others must have had these concerns too. Also, if anyone from San Antonio can offer me advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Lucy :wink2: Welcome to LBT!

How do you know you're doing this for the right reasons?

We all have our own personal reasons. I guess you/I just know if those reasons are "right." I just didn't want to be obese in general. The reasons were countless. I was miserable.

Is it normal to have doubts that WLS will work?

I think it is very normal to have doubts. My brain was already programed to think I was doomed to be fat no matter what I tried because of all the diets I had already tried. All I can tell you is that it has been working well for me.

You know if you are doing this for the right reason if you are doing it for yourself. If you were doing it so your husband would find you more attractive then I would question it. But if its for you, its the right reason. I was low BMI, (35) I would almost consider mine to be "cosmetic surgery" but it makes me feel better so I am happy with my decision.

I had failed every diet plan on the planet. So yes you will have doubts about it working. It works if you do. Positive attitude is everything.

welcome!! You are in the right place!

I think we all have different reasons for wanting this procedure. I am tired of being heavy, not fitting into nice clothes, being the heavies in my extended family.... being FAT!

Do I keep changing my mind? I call it my "bi-polar" thoughts. One minute I am excited and happy, the next minute I'm wondering, "and I freaking crazy to think of doing this??? The huge life changes???" But.... I always come back to the excitement of the life changing events that are about to enter my life.

I know it's going to be one of the toughest things I've ever done.. but I've tried nearly every diet I've heard of. I need help. No shame in that. I admit it. I need the tool. It's still hard work...and that is something I'm sure about. I'm ready for the heard work.

sorry to ramble... hope it makes you realize, we all are having the same feelings!! Keep talking to us!

Tracy

Thank you all very much!

It seems like I'm closer to getting it done... It turns out my parents have a college fund for me that I never dipped into (I'm currently getting my Master's) and they have agreed to let me use it for the surgery.

Although I haven't even been in to see a doctor, it's sunk in that I will most likely be going through with this. It's exciting/frightening!

The next step will be to look for a doctor. I've been reading on here about doctors that others have used, so I have a list. But this brings me to a few more questions...

-How many doctors did you see before you found your doctor?

-Since I'm paying out of pocket, are there other things that I may need to pay for that may not be included with the surgery? E.g. nutritionist, fills, etc?

Thank you for the advice and encouragement!

-Since I'm paying out of pocket, are there other things that I may need to pay for that may not be included with the surgery? E.g. nutritionist, fills, etc?

I was self-pay ($10,000). The price included pretty much everything to a point. It included the pre-op and 3 months post-op nutritionist stuff. It included free fills for the first 3 months and after that the fills are $15-20. When you are Dr. searching ask what the price includes.

Hi Lucy,

I've been in college for over 20 years now. The first half of my doctorate I dated a girl who was really really really really thin, and that gave me the incentive to keep my weight under some kind of control (I've been stocky my whole life).

After we broke up, my weight went up, and it's been steadily climbing (not monotonically) ever since.

I'm finishing a 2nd masters in financial engineering, and I can totally sympathize with you about fitting in the desks. I fit, but my belly noticeably impinges on the edge of the desk. It's distracting, uncomfortable, and embarrassing. It's the last thing you need to be thinking about while taking an in-class test.

So I totally understand where you're coming from, and I think your reason is totally valid.

Thank you for all of the replies! :scared2:

I narrowed it down to two doctors, but I haven't met either of them!

First I made a list of all the doctors offering WLS in my city and visited their sites. I was able to narrow it down to 3-4 and then I gave them a ring. Based on the information that I was given, I was able to narrow it down to my first and second choices.

I've scheduled a meeting with my first choice and my second choice. I'm quite confidant that one of these two doctors will do my operation. They also have good comments on this board, so it helps me feel better.

The price difference between the two doctors is maybe a $1000 difference but I can't really tell which package would be best for me, maybe y'all can help me out....

First Doctor includes:

• Pre-Op Appointment
  • Dietitian Evaluation
  • Pre-Op Lab
  • Surgeon’s Fee
  • Facility Fee
  • Anesthesiologist
  • The LAP-BAND® Device
  • 1 Year of Monthly Follow-Up Appointments
  • 1 Year of Adjustments

The Behavioral Assessment is not included. It's an additional $150. Also, fills are a flat rate of $100. And I would have to pay out of pocket for any additional lab tests, if needed.

Second doctor includes:

• Nutritional and exercise counseling by our counselor.
  • Surgeon's fee.
  • Hospital's fee.
  • Anesthesiologist fee.
  • Post-operative visits at 2 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 18 months, and annually for 5 years.
  • Attendance to Support Group meetings.
  • For Adjustable Gastric Banding Patients, 4 band fills within 12 months after the operation.

Does not include

• Pre-operative labs and necessary exams to qualify for surgery (your insurance may cover these).
  • Psychologist fee for psychological evaluation.
  • Protein drinks and nutritional supplements.

Any thoughts???