Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! My name is Candy

I'm not really new, as I've been a lurker for a year or so. I had been trying to get my insurance to pay for it, but after getting a definitive "NO WAY" from them, have decided to bite the bullet and withdraw my retirement to go the self-pay route. I've already attended the info meeting, submitted my paperwork and have my first appt. with the surgeon on March 22nd. I met with her already because I need a hernia repaired, and she told me that based on my info I don't have to have a lot of the pre-op tests like the EKG, stress test, etc. Mainly only the sleep study and lab work.

My BMI is 41.5 and I have 115 lbs or so to reach my "perfect weight" (not really aiming for that-just a "normal weight"). I'll only have to lose 13 lbs (5%) before my surgery, so I'm really hoping to have the surgery as soon as April 22nd. They said it's possible as long as I have no sleep issues (which I'm about 95% sure I don't based on my hubby and other family members opinions), get all my tests done, and can lose the 13 lbs. I've actually started on the weight loss now, but will pull a "Biggest Loser" trick the day of my appt. with her. (drink a 1/2 gallon of Water before I go in! :frown:) After all, we all know the first 5 lbs or so are the easiest! I don't want to lose 5 lbs then still have 12-13 more to lose-as they take the weight the day you see the surgeon as your start weight. Has anybody heard of getting the surgery done that quickly?

Oh, more of a bio. I'm 38 yrs old, have diabetes. I'm married and have 2 little boys-2 & 4 yrs. I've tried every diet under the sun and have been overweight since I was my oldest son's age. My whole family is morbidly obese and I want to stop the cycle NOW. I'm excited to have this done (but scared too) so I can do the things I don't have the energy to do now.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Hi Candy!

Welcome! Getting healthy for your children is awesome.

My understanding is that if you are self-pay they process moves along quite quickly. It sounds as though just the timing of the tests and your required weight loss are the only things holding you back.

Was the no-way just because your insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery?

Can you at least take advantage of the anesthesia of the hernia repair and have the band placed then? Sort of like a 2 for 1 discount?

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery!!

Hi Denise, thanks for replying. The No way was because they don't cover any bariatric surgeries. They just throw the request letters away. Don't even read them (they told me that.) I had hoped to do both surgeries at once to save money, but I guess they have a contracted charge with the hospital, no matter what. It wouldn't save us any money. Plus the Dr. recommends waiting on the hernia surgery until I can lose a bunch of my weight. She'd rather I lose all of it first, but if i do it at the end of the year my deductible is already met. The surgery is "only" costing me $15,500 with all pre-tests and post fills included. Not bad since other hospitals in the area charge $25,000. It just so happens that is exactly what I have in my retirement account. So this way I get to actually REACH retirement and I'll still be able to go back to work in a couple of years to put more towards my retirement. :frown:

It sucks they don't cover it :-(

But you will feel much better while you are working towards retirement, too!! Maybe you'll even enjoy working more. You will certainly be healthier for the hernia repair surgery, that is a plus.

Average it out over a lifetime, and it is totally worth it.