Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still can't believe I'm going to do this!

So I took a huge step so to speak yesterday... I signed up to do my first ever 5k Road Race! I started the couch to 5k program pretty vigoursly in November... then I hurt my knee so I backed off. I started running on the weekends outside again and using my elliptical every other day. I'm almost down 100 lbs which is why I started running in the first place. This is obviously a goal of mine. Once I hit that one I'd ideally like to lose 35 lbs more. I was hoping running would help and between the fills and training I seem to be on the right path. Has anyone ever not run before... did the couch to 5k program and run a road race? If so... how did you do? Did you make the entire run without walking? I really want to make it all the way but fear I'll have to walk. If I do I'm going to feel like I've let myself down and the others who have said they'd run with me. Am I stupid for doing this or feeling this way??? :blushing:

Just starting and making the commitment to try is impressive. If you have to walk part of the way, then you do. But even if you walk the whole way you are still doing better than the 90% of us who didn't even sign up! Celebrate your success! Lost 100 pounds! (OK I am rounding up just a touch), Signed up for your first race! Using your elliptical every other day! I'm sure your cardio capacity has improved greatly! Who cares if you walk a little your doing it! I am so impressed. I am going to check on the couch to 5k program as well. Thanks for your story.

Congratulations!

Several years ago (when I was in great shape) I started running- doing a program similar to the C25K program. I signed up for my first 5K right away, and I did really well. I was sloooooow, but I ran the whole thing.

The funny thing is that it was a university event, and so there were tons of young 19 year old college students doing it-- and many of them weren't runners at all. But they were young and fit. There was one guy who'd run really fast, pass me (doin' my 12 min/miles), then he'd get tired and have to walk. While he was walking, I'd pass him, still going slow. Then he'd speed back up again and pass me again. We kept doing this for 3 miles. Finally, in the last stretch, I was determined that I was gonna beat this guy to the finish. Alas, it wasn't to happen.... but I *DO* take solace in that fact that I was able to run the whole way, and at nearly twice his age, finish right behind the young studmuffin. :frown:

You'll do great!! Just remember-- it's easy to go out too fast from the finish.... try to resist "keeping up with the pack" at first, and just find your pace. After you're about halfway through more or less (adrenalin alone will get you this far) pick someone just ahead of you and make them your "rabbit." Try to keep up, or see if you can gain on them a little at a time. I like to try to make it a game.

I'm planning on starting to run again soon, maybe when I get back on solid foods. I'm planning on the C25K as well.

Good luck!!!

Way back at the start of my weight loss journey I was told, by my surgeon, that I had to lose weight before he would consider me for surgery. He told me to change my lifestyle and diet because if I didn'tdo it right away then I would never do it after any surgery.

I took him seriously and I decided to start out with the 10000 step thing. My first 10000 step walk took me six hours!!! When the weather got really bad I moved inside and walked on the treadmill. I used to find that I was lking faster than the slowest joggers and eventually, after many weeks, I decided to try to jog. The first time I managed it I was grinning like a loony and there I was, on my phone in the gym, phoning all my friends and family and wheezing "I'm jogging, I'm running" down the line. They all thought I had flipped.

I managed my first 10k about 18 months ago and I have done 2 marathons since (as well as a heck of a lot of training). Sso, yes, I went from couch potato to hot potato - ah well, maybe I'm not so hot, but I'm definintely not vegetative any more.

I now run about 7 miles a day, which can take me anywhere from 45 to 65 minutes - depending on how badly my dog misbehaves while we are out!:cursing:

I'm not an athlete but I AM very active. Apart from running I have 4 kids (20, 18, nearly 6 and 3) and I have to do the teach to ride bike, teach to swim, etc, sort of thing. Plus, I have 2 canine delinquents who require lots of exercise. So I must burn shed-loads of calories inmy exercise - and boy do I sleep well!!

So, I do understand where you have come from - and my advice would be that if you want to get more from your running get a psychotic dog who will drive you completely mad if she doesn't get enough exercise. You WILL find that you run faster and further - and you will improve.

Good luck.

I now run about 7 miles a day, which can take me anywhere from 45 to 65 minutes - depending on how badly my dog misbehaves while we are out!:lol:

I'm not an athlete but I AM very active.

Good luck.

My dear, I beg to differ.... anyone who can run 7 miles a day -- and at THAT pace-- IS, IS, IS an athlete! :cursing:

Just starting and making the commitment to try is impressive. If you have to walk part of the way, then you do. But even if you walk the whole way you are still doing better than the 90% of us who didn't even sign up! Celebrate your success! Lost 100 pounds! (OK I am rounding up just a touch), Signed up for your first race! Using your elliptical every other day! I'm sure your cardio capacity has improved greatly! Who cares if you walk a little your doing it! I am so impressed. I am going to check on the couch to 5k program as well. Thanks for your story.

Thanks Leigha - you post made me smile and start to feel better about myself. Today I actually have a knee brace on and my doctor wants to take a look at my old MRI's of my knee. I do have a small tear and I think i've been aggravating it since I started training. My run is April 11th and he said to keep on training for it so I could check it off my 'bucket list' then we'll worry about how to 'fix' the knee. :unsure:

Wish me luck!

Way back at the start of my weight loss journey I was told, by my surgeon, that I had to lose weight before he would consider me for surgery. He told me to change my lifestyle and diet because if I didn'tdo it right away then I would never do it after any surgery.

< snip >

So, I do understand where you have come from - and my advice would be that if you want to get more from your running get a psychotic dog who will drive you completely mad if she doesn't get enough exercise. You WILL find that you run faster and further - and you will improve.

Good luck.

Thanks Ohm... very inspirational. I have to agree that running 7 miles in 45 - 65 minutes is awesome! It takes me 45 minutes to do just 3 miles :biggrin:. If not for anything else... it's more than I have ever done in my life before. Having this lap band has changed so many things in my life and not just the weight!

I have to admit... I'd be a nervous wreck to try to run with a dog by my side... i'm sure i'd trip and kill myself! :unsure:

Congratulations!

< snip >

The funny thing is that it was a university event, and so there were tons of young 19 year old college students doing it-- and many of them weren't runners at all. But they were young and fit. There was one guy who'd run really fast, pass me (doin' my 12 min/miles), then he'd get tired and have to walk. While he was walking, I'd pass him, still going slow. Then he'd speed back up again and pass me again. We kept doing this for 3 miles. Finally, in the last stretch, I was determined that I was gonna beat this guy to the finish. Alas, it wasn't to happen.... but I *DO* take solace in that fact that I was able to run the whole way, and at nearly twice his age, finish right behind the young studmuffin. :biggrin:

< snip >

I'm planning on starting to run again soon, maybe when I get back on solid foods. I'm planning on the C25K as well.

Good luck!!!

Thanks Jen... your post made my literally Laugh Out Loud! :lol: My 22 year old son, my chiropractor and one of my coworkers have signed up to run with me. I'm hoping with my little posse they will give me the encouragement I need and the adrenaline to keep on going. I just recently hit a mile stone on my WL journey of losing 100 lbs.... so the run will give me one more thing to check off the list.

Good luck on your C25K - maybe one day I can run that too!:unsure:

Starzie, How awesome! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous--but in a good way. :smile: My nutritionist asked me early after lapbanding what I wanted to be able to do, and my answer was "run." At this point, I'm afraid of hurting myself. I've lost 90 lbs, but still have 65-70 lbs to lose. I don't think my joints are quite ready to handle the pounding that those extra 65-70 lbs would give them. But, oh...do you ever give me hope! When I'm closer to goal, starting the couch to 5K is my next goal! Celebrate your success and don't let the little judgemental voice in your head tell you anything but, "Way to go! I'm so proud of you!" (no matter if you do go slower than others or have to walk a bit--BFD!). Good luck on April 11th. I'll be thinking of you running and thinking "If she was able do it, then I'll be able to, too." :laugh:

Awww thanks Willowcat... you brought tears to my eyes thinking that I am an inspiration for someone! I've always wanted to be able to 'pay it forward' and if I can do that for you... that'd be awesome! I'll post how I do that day... provided I cross the finish line of my own accord and not on a stretcher! LOL!!!

So...how was it?! :thumbup:

I DID IT!!!! :thumbup: I still can't believe I did... but I had my son whispering in my ear the whole time. "You can do this Mom... you're doing great... You're Doing IT!!!" :) I did my first 5K in 37:17 That was probably 5 minutes or so faster than I had run it in the past. I really truly feel like if I could do this... anyone can. I started preparing for this back in November. My knee's are not the best nor my hips... but I did it!!!! :cool2:

Starzie, YEAH for you!!!! I'm so proud of you! It's kind of like you did it for all of us 2009 June Journeys--look what one our own accomplished! So glad that your son could be your cheerleader, too! Good for you--enjoy your BIG NSV! :thumbup: Willowcat