Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 month anniversary (sorry, it's long)

As I approach my 5 month anniversary of getting my band, I am taking the time to log my successes and failures. First, I have lost 28 lbs. since getting my band on June 9, 2005!!! My BMI has gone from 37 to 32 and I have gone from a size 18 to a size 14.

I have come to the realization that I will probably never eat another hamburger or pizza. I need to find a way to get motivated again. I don't want to be satisfied with where I am right now. I keep making up excuses that I have four children and am in school full time as a reason for not eating right or exercising. I PB all the time because I'm too stubborn to learn that I'm taking too big of bites even though I'm chewing and eating slow enough. I know that if I don't give myself a kick in the butt, I will probably end up slipping my band.

I have good restriction, but I'm not using my tool right. I probably have a 90% chance that the first 1 to 4 bites of food are going to get stuck. If I leave my food until those bites pass, then I can go back and finish the plate--and usually do. If not, then I turn to chips or Cookies (the things that will go through the band easily) to help fill my stomach because by that time, I'm too hungry. I am gaining and losing the same 3 lbs.

The great thing abouto the band is that today is a new day. I needed to get all this off my chest because sometimes it helps me to admit my faults so I can start over again, clean. I am making a pledge to myself (through this site) to pick myself up and continue on with this journey the right way. Thank you for letting me get this off my chest and I apologize that it is so long. I find great comfort and support with the messages I read here, so I knew where to come when I needed strength to move on.

Tricia H.

I have the same problem with the first couple of bites. Then I have to wait about 10 minutes for them to go down and then I can finish eating what is on my plate. I don't think that I should stop after the first few bites because that would not be enough food. A few bites of food at every meal does not sound healthy.

What are we suppose to do... stop eating... or wait and eat some more?

My question is are the first few bites getting stuck or does it mean that I am full? I have a hard time feeling full anymore because I am eating the wrong things so I don't get stuck. I wish I knew what we were supposed to do. I don't think I'm too restricted because I can eat, but maybe I am too restricted and that's the problem. I don't know.......

Tricia H

I to am approching my 5 month mark. I to can have a hard with my first few bites but I know it's me. I don't chew good or the bites was just too big. After being filled to tight I have learned. I cut everything into small bites just like I do for my 2 year old son. I don't want him to get chocked from not chewing so that is what I do for me. So I don't your full, I think you just need to stop and chew and think. Well that is what I have to do. I could be wrong on that one but I personally know that is what happens to me. Make sure you are getting in enough protien...it really helps.

The part about a burger or pizza....I do a burger no bun and it's only about 1/4 to 1/2 of it but it's ok I am full. pizza I don't do as much actually when hubby wants it I still fix me a peice of fish or something instead but I have had about a 1/2 piece. Not my first choice of food by no means but I know if I have to have it I can. However since I don't need it I try to stay way.

I personally think you are doing great...everyone is so different. Our bodies, our minds, and our lifestyles so everyone person will be so different when it comes to the band. The one thing I know is the band is my best friend and he isn't going anywhere right now.

Hang in there you will have some much more to write about in another 5 months and this place is a great place for support or even just vent or journal here. I know it helps me alot.

Could it be that you are eating to fast when you take the first few bites?

My doc said my meals should last anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes (don't know how I'm gonna do that).

NJ Chick -

I don't think it's that i'm eating too fast because I sometimes only get in the first bite and feel stuck. Sometimes it takes as many as four bites, but then I have to wait at least 45 minutes before I can finish a meal. I chew, chew, chew and wait at least 30 seconds mostly longer between each bite. There are other times when I've PB'd that I think I was taking too big of bites. Those times had nothing to do with the first few bites of a meal. My biggest problem, other than the first attempt at eating is taking too big of bites. I cut my meats up smaller than my children's and still sometimes PB. Maybe I am just too tight. I don't think so because things to through sometimes and on other days those same things won't go through. This is all such a learning process and no days are the same.

Thanks to all who have responded and given me things to think about. I appreciate your help.

Tricia H

Tricia, I think you need a small unfill. I have the exact same problem, and I think I need one too. I read a thread about this a while back, and that's what the experienced bandsters were suggesting. It doesn't have to be a huge one - sometimes .1 or .2 cc's can do the trick.

Good luck with the next 5 months - you're doing great!

Anne -

Thanks for your advice. I have actually thought of getting a slight unfill, but because I am able to eat after those first few bites, I figured I wasn't too restricted. Are you having the same problem with those first few bites? If so, have you gone for an unfill yet?

Tricia H

My question is are the first few bites getting stuck or does it mean that I am full? I have a hard time feeling full anymore because I am eating the wrong things so I don't get stuck. I wish I knew what we were supposed to do. I don't think I'm too restricted because I can eat, but maybe I am too restricted and that's the problem. I don't know.......

Tricia H

No, I don't think it means you are full. I am not too tight. I know I'm not. I have been banded 7 months and I promise I know tight. I think my restriction is just perfect right now.

And, sometimes, I do the same thing. I take a bite or two, get a little stuck, get up, walk around, take a small sip of Water, let it settle...I can almost feel it go down because the pressure is gone (disclaimer...I sip the Water when it's kind of stuck...not STUCK in the real sense, otherwise, a sip is not a good idea unless you are standing at the kitchen sink...blech) and then I return to my meal and do just fine.

NJChick, for me, taking an hour to eat is too long. It means I am shoving food I don't really need or want. I can see a large salad with grilled chicken and a roll, etc. taking 45 minutes but after that...it's just eating past what I need. For me. I try to take maybe 30 minutes for a dinner/larger sized meal, but not go more than 40. I'm still the last one done though.

Tricia, you may very well be too restricted and need a very very small unfill. Here's what I would do to test it. Take a day of two of liquids and soft mushies...rest that band...get plenty of water in, make sure you aren't the least bit swollen in the stoma from a PB or getting stuck. Then, eat only bandster meals for a few days. No Cookies, chips, easy to slip on past the band foods. eggs for Breakfast (if you tolerate them), solid protiens first, then veggies...real, big-girl bandster meals. See how this feels to you. If you are still getting stuck and unable to go back to your meal after 5-10 minutes, go for an unfill. Too tight.

It's tricky. If I thought about it, I might think I was a tad tight since I do that stuck thing (it's usually too big of a bite or another bite before finishing chewing the first, though) at the start of a meal, and because I did the stuck thing eating a banana today...but then I didn't chew that first bite enough. The rest of the banana was fine.

Spend some time paying attention to your restriction and to the foods you eat. You may be able to make it work and get off your plateau without an unfill. But if you need that unfill, run, don't walk.

Good luck. Go get 'em, girl!

Tricia, I haven't gone for an unfill yet. I have the same problem with the first few bites and then I end up walking around for a few minutes and eating a little more over a half hour or so.

I'm not having the same PB issues as you are, though I did have 2 last week. At this point I'm trying to give it a few more weeks. I'm hoping that it will loosen up a bit on it's own. I'm really happy with my rate of weight loss right now, so I don't want to mess with it. I'm not on a plateau or I'd be much more anxious to get in there! :)

Kathy -

Thanks! That's great advice. I will stick to liquids for two days and then try the Protein first, veggies next. I already vowed to lay off the chips and Cookies (eek)!! I can also feel my food go down after they get stuck on the first few bites. After that, I could go eat a horse if I wanted to. It's weird.

Thank you to Anne and everyone else for your support and advice. You're great and I don't know what I'd do without this site!!!!

Tricia H