Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm discouraged this morning

Good morning, all,

I will be 2 weeks postop as of tomorrow. During the first week, when I was on liquids, I saw a really good weight loss (and sheesh, no wonder, I wasn't taking anything in!). The surgeon moved me onto purees on Monday, which I was happy about, but now the scale won't move, and I'm terrified of undoing all the good stuff that has happened so far. It's frustrating, because I'm meeting my Protein goals, the calories are relatively low (about 1000 a day), and I'm exercising daily- by all rights, the &*^%* scale should reflect that. It's really upsetting and frustrating. I guess I got spoiled seeing the weight loss before and immediately after surgery, so now that it's stopped, I'm unhappy. :thumbup:

Adding to my frustration is that I've had to resume my Metformin, although I've noted that my fasting sugars have been about 20 points lower than they had been prior to starting my preop diet. My blood pressure meds have been reduced by half, so that's progress in that direction as well.

I'm to go back to my surgeon on the 31st, and perhaps get my first fill.

I guess this is what everyone calls bandster hell. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

Christine

I can understand about the scale. My doctor told me that I being too paranoid about it and to stay off of it on a daily basis. Once a week only. Please be patient. It take time to adjust to the band and everyday is so different. Just when you think you have it under control, something else new turns up. Just keep doing what is right and it will turn out okay in the long run. It takes a lot of hard work.

Don't be discouraged! I'm not in bandster hell, yet. I'm still in pre-op diet hell (and trust me - it's HELL for me) and I was looking at your ticker and your weight loss has been AMAZING so far! Don't let it get you down at all. You're doing fabulously! I hope to have that type of loss when I'm out the same time you are.

I think you're doing awesome! It's inspiring to me! :thumbup:

I know that the day-to-day messages from the scale aren't always encouraging--but I really encourage you to trust the process.

Eating is NOT undoing what you've accomplished so far. It's the next stage in the journey--and everyone who's gone before you has experienced it, and had the same concerns.

You know how people say the scale doesn't lie? They're wrong. Or, well, at least not giving you the whole picture. The scale just doesn't reflect everything that's going on with your body right now.

Trust the process. Do what you're supposed to do....and it will happen for you.

(((Hugs)))

you are doing great - you have lost more than me and I am 4 months post op! Hang in there I am going thru the same feelings, it is hard i'm not gonna lie but its worth it - keep up the good work and you will see results. I work out at least 4 days every week and i see it in inches but not on the scale, but I'm gonna keep going and hopefully it will pay off SOON!

I'm just curious if your surgeon or nutritionist mentioned anything about the first 4-6 weeks after surgery. This time is to HEAL NOT LOSE!!!

I get so frustrated to hear stores of people who don't know what Bandster Hell really is and what they can anticipate to happen.

You are not even 2 weeks out from surgery!!!!! Most patients lose VERY little for the first 3 weeks, or can often GAIN. This is NORMAL!!! Your body is holding on to fluids from the surgery and trying to "deal with" this brand new "plastic thing" inside it. Be patient or you will be nothing but discouraged!!

My doctor and nutritionist BOTH talked to me for an hour on what my expectations should be after surgery. They told me that I would likely lose weight until my first fill 6 weeks later. Which made me THRILLED to lose 8 lbs during that time. I was fully prepared to gain and honestly that is what cand and often does happen..but it is NORMAL!!!

Be patient, set realistic expecations and you will succeed!!

Best to you!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. It's not the surgeon's fault, nor the nutritionist...it's just me, the gal who was in the loo when patience was being handed out. I just have to hang in there.

Christine