Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atkins Dark Chocolate shake - NEW formula (bad)

I drank a few dark chocolate royale shakes each day, and recently began getting diarrhea in the mornings after the shake. I wrote to Atkins customer complaint web site - and yes, indeed there was a change.

Please if you are experiencing this too - please tell them, and complain - like new Coke, I want the OLD Dark chocolate Royale back, the one that does NOT make me sick!!

Here's the message:

There has been a formula change and I’m terribly sorry to hear that it has had such an adverse affect on you!

I have forwarded your feedback onto our R&D department for consideration.

The following items have been changed in the shake due to customer demand:

1. DAIRY Proteins (MPC and Calcium CASEINATE):

1. High quality: Use of dairy Proteins. Cows are pasture fed and free grazing and BSE (Mad Cow) and Foot & Mouth disease free.
    2. Satiety: Each serving contributes 15g or 30% DV of Protein. Many research studies have concluded that diets higher in Protein can help promote satiety, or a feeling of fullness.

[*]FAT SYSTEM:

1. High oleic sunflower oil: is produced from specialty non-GMO sunflower seed varieties developed through plant breeding. The resulting oil contains very high (~80%) levels of monounsaturated fatty acids and only trace levels of linolenic acid and fulfills all non-GMO requirements.
  2. Cream: Use of 100% fresh, premium cream

[*]IMPROVED FLAVOR:

1. Cocoa: Use of a new, premium cocoa powder to enhance the chocolate fudge flavor in the product.
  2. Flavor system: Use of a new flavor system which demonstrates preference for the new system in a major taste study (Penn State).

[*]HIGHER ELECTROLYTES: For those in the induction phase, electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium) are necessary to prevent Water loss when the Atkins dieter’s metabolism switches to the fat burning cycle. New formulas have increased: Potassium, Sodium, Calcium (50% of your DV per serving!)

As I said, I’m sorry to hear this product is affecting you in this way. I hope you will be able to continue to enjoy our high protein bars!

Best wishes,

Join for free our online community at http://community.atkins.com/security/newsletterRegistration.jsp to register your email and join the Atkins Community. Our instructors, nutritionist Colette Heimowitz and Atkins-expert Don Freidkin, have the knowledge to answer all of your questions, so it’s like having your own private weight-loss coach on hand whenever you need help. Plus, you can interact with others to share motivational tips, meal ideas and success stories. Your questions will turn into “conversations.” Posting on the Atkins learning Center will provide you with the most complete and accurate answers to all your questions and the “Getting Started, Staying Focused” sections is a great place to start.

We trust you will find this information helpful. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

attachment.ashx?id=RgAAAAAuvcANis0qTI6B2tDEk5t5BwBROTIk0z%2fcTo0h8UwQDFJ7ACfn%2byo%2bAABROTIk0z%2fcTo0h8UwQDFJ7ACliSIZDAAAJ&attcnt=1&attid0=EACX4Anq%2fAEoTrMDbL3zxR3O

Deana Kalberg

Atkins Information Agent

Atkins Nutritionals Inc.

1-800-6-ATKINS

www.atkins.com

Thank you for this info. I, too, started experiencing this just this past week after I bought a new pack of Dark chocolate Royale Atkins shakes. I thought maybe it was just my digestive system adjusting, but I am glad to see it's not. The new formula has also given me terrible gas, so I will be definitely filing my complaint, too. Did they change any of the other flavors?

Thanks,

Megan

I don't know if they changed the other flavors...but I only really liked the dark choc and strawberry. I hope they get a LOT of complaints and go back to the old formula! OR offer both... but I can't imagine there are folks that are not getting the gas, etc.

Luckily I buy out the shelf when I bought, so have some old ones left but am very sad to have to find a new morning Protein source!