Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so i have tricare prime and when i went for my pre op testing on monday, the day surgery nurse said that tricare requires me to stay overnight even though usually this is just a day surgery. i asked her if she was sure and she said her notes indicated that yes, tricare required an overnight stay. a friend of mine (also tricare prime) was banded with the same doc over a year ago and she did not have to stay overnight. i wonder if it could be something new tricare has started. does anyone know? also, if i stay overnight, how will i drink my Protein Shakes that night and til i go home the next day? the doc wants me drinking 2 oz every 15 minutes to equal 8 oz per hour of alternating Water and shakes. should i bring my shakes with me? will i be mixing them alone? or will the nurses just give me water and iv fluids til i go home, then i start the shakes? any prevoius overnight stay experiences would be appreciated. thanks!

Hi there, I have Tricare Prime also, and I am not staying overnight. My surgery is Friday 3/12.

My insurance and doctor require it as well. And I was SO GLAD to have that time to recuperate unbothered by the responsibilities at home.

Don't worry about things like Protein shakes. If your doctor wants you to have them, the hospital will provide what you need. While you're there, clarify with your doctor when he'd like you to start them at home. It might be right away, or it might be a day or so later. (I had my surgery on a Tuesday, and was told to resume Protein on Friday; your doctor may well okay it sooner; mine is pretty conservative.)

Edited by BetsyB

I too have Tricare Prime and was banded April '09. I did have to stay overnight and was glad that I did. I was glad to have the nurses coming in checking on me, giving me meds for pain. I don't think that I would have felt confortable going home within a couple of hours the surgery. My surgery was scheduled for 4pm that day so maybe that had something to do with the overnight stay.

I have BCBS of TX and will be required to stay overnight too. I'm happy about it if only because I have a lap dog at home, and it's probably good that I'm not around her on the day when I will probably be at my worst.

I am scheduled for tomorrow and I am staying overnight as well, required by my insurance and doctor. I am so nervous about the sugery but I am glad I get that overnight stay to be monitored thru the night.