Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I be restricted???

I have been so ravenous all day today. I have been exercising a bit more than usual, but I didn't think I'd be this ravenous! I had fill #2 on 2/25 (.8 ccs, first fill was 3.4ccs). My doc does fills under fluroscopy, so when he first looked, he said that I have restriction. It is true that in the mornings I am tighter, but as the day goes on I loosen up quite a bit and am able to take bigger bites, nothing gets stuck and I am hungrier. After a lot of coaxing on my part, the doc agreed to give me a little more. He put in .8 ccs and when I swallowed the barium, he said the restriction was 'perfect'.

So, fast forward to today. I had a 10 ounce lunch, still hungry. Had a cheese stick--still hungry. Had a few mini wheats before forcing myself to STOP. I mean I was so hungry I couldn't stop!

Now I know 13-14 ounces is WAY outrageous for any bandster meal, but how could my doc see restriction if I am still capable of eating this way? True, this is the first day I am like this and it could very well be that I need to just throw a snack in between my Breakfast and lunch to keep the hunger at bay (trying to do Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack), but can someone tell me how I can go from being so tight in the morning that I can't even eat breakfast until 11:30 and I just hoovered all of a 13-14 oz lunch??? Yes, all healthy food, but the quantity of it scares me as I am sooo paranoid about stretching my pouch.

Could I need another fill already? It will only be 2 weeks on Thursday!

Any advice or insight on this would be soooo appreciated. Thanks for your help!!!

I have been so ravenous all day today. I have been exercising a bit more than usual, but I didn't think I'd be this ravenous! I had fill #2 on 2/25 (.8 ccs, first fill was 3.4ccs). My doc does fills under fluroscopy, so when he first looked, he said that I have restriction. It is true that in the mornings I am tighter, but as the day goes on I loosen up quite a bit and am able to take bigger bites, nothing gets stuck and I am hungrier. After a lot of coaxing on my part, the doc agreed to give me a little more. He put in .8 ccs and when I swallowed the barium, he said the restriction was 'perfect'.

So, fast forward to today. I had a 10 ounce lunch, still hungry. Had a cheese stick--still hungry. Had a few mini wheats before forcing myself to STOP. I mean I was so hungry I couldn't stop!

Now I know 13-14 ounces is WAY outrageous for any bandster meal, but how could my doc see restriction if I am still capable of eating this way? True, this is the first day I am like this and it could very well be that I need to just throw a snack in between my breakfast and lunch to keep the hunger at bay (trying to do breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack), but can someone tell me how I can go from being so tight in the morning that I can't even eat breakfast until 11:30 and I just hoovered all of a 13-14 oz lunch??? Yes, all healthy food, but the quantity of it scares me as I am sooo paranoid about stretching my pouch.

Could I need another fill already? It will only be 2 weeks on Thursday!

Any advice or insight on this would be soooo appreciated. Thanks for your help!!!

Could it be that your possibly giving into head hunger also? Sometimes I could probably eat more than I do because my head starts talking to me (Ok so the white coats are coming), but I refuse to listen anymore. Is it truly hunger that you are experiencing?

I am tighter in the evening then I am in the morning. Everyone experiences a different part of the day where I think they are tighter.

You could very well need another fill. I have 5.5cc's in my band and I'm feeling good restriction. I would call your doctor and tell him how you are feeling. They may give you another fill.

Also are you using Protein supplements inbetween your meals?

You might need a better fill, but you could also reassess what you are eating and try and stick with what makes you feel fullest the longest.

For me, I can eat ice cream, Cookies, crackers and popcorn without the slightest feeling of restriction. Raw spinach on the other hand, is a misery. But lean Proteins, nuts, fruits and most veggies stick just right. Those are the items I can eat the right portion of and feel full. And if I overindulge I most certainly feel it.

Also, are you eating often enough? I found I was only eating the 1/2 cup portion during my old normal meal times and I was silly ravenous by the time those rolled around. Now I break up my eating times into at least 6 mini meals per day and I don't feel that outrageous hunger and exercising is easier.

You might need a better fill, but you could also reassess what you are eating and try and stick with what makes you feel fullest the longest.

For me, I can eat ice cream, Cookies, crackers and popcorn without the slightest feeling of restriction. Raw spinach on the other hand, is a misery. But lean Proteins, nuts, fruits and most veggies stick just right. Those are the items I can eat the right portion of and feel full. And if I overindulge I most certainly feel it.

Also, are you eating often enough? I found I was only eating the 1/2 cup portion during my old normal meal times and I was silly ravenous by the time those rolled around. Now I break up my eating times into at least 6 mini meals per day and I don't feel that outrageous hunger and exercising is easier.

Hmmm, I actually have 3 meals and sometimes a snack in the evenings. I am wondering if I should just try to break everything up into mini meals, but the problem is waiting that freaking hour to drink and not being able to get my Water in!

I am definitely eating all the right foods (haven't had a cookie or potato chip for as long as I can remember LOL), and averaging 90-100 g of Protein per day.

Maybe it was an off day? I am eating breakfast now and I can feel the yogurt going down VERY slowly and it even tried to slip back up. The doc says that given I am so restricted in the morning and can't seem to get anything but liquids down, if he was to fill me more, I wouldn't be able to swallow my own saliva in the mornings LOL.

I just wonder how long I should wait before asking for another one, as last time it seemed like a quick 5-day pouch test was all I needed to get some more restriction ;-)!

Thanks to both of you for your responses! It is such a day to day thing sometimes that I have to remember to stop freaking out and sweating the smaller stuff.....

Hmmm, I actually have 3 meals and sometimes a snack in the evenings. I am wondering if I should just try to break everything up into mini meals, but the problem is waiting that freaking hour to drink and not being able to get my Water in!

I am definitely eating all the right foods (haven't had a cookie or potato chip for as long as I can remember LOL), and averaging 90-100 g of Protein per day.

Maybe it was an off day? I am eating breakfast now and I can feel the yogurt going down VERY slowly and it even tried to slip back up. The doc says that given I am so restricted in the morning and can't seem to get anything but liquids down, if he was to fill me more, I wouldn't be able to swallow my own saliva in the mornings LOL.

I just wonder how long I should wait before asking for another one, as last time it seemed like a quick 5-day pouch test was all I needed to get some more restriction ;-)!

Thanks to both of you for your responses! It is such a day to day thing sometimes that I have to remember to stop freaking out and sweating the smaller stuff.....

When you are drinking your Water inbetween meals are you drinking alot or are you still only doing 4oz? In between meals I drink ALOT of fluids. You can also try sugar free ice pops. That might help you a little. Sometimes during 'that time' of the month you can be a little swollen too. You really don't have to drink small amounts of fluids after a certain time. Just don't gulp. I carry water with me all of the time. I don't drink 15 minutes before I eat, and 45 minutes to an hour after I eat.

My friend and I are going through the exact same thing you are. We basically are losing using will power only. I went for my 2nd fill yesterday. I have a 14 cc band, and I have 6.5 cc of Fluid in my band. Our doctor told us it can take up to 5 times before you start to feel the restriction. Yes, there is some restriction when viewed under the flouroscope, but it is what you you feel. Hang in there!!!! I am hoping to finally feel restriction after this fill. My band is larger, so I am trying to be more patient. Your progress looks great!!!! Congratulations!

What your doctor sees on fluoro as he fills your band is a tiny snapshot of the entire picture.

My doctor saw good restriction, too. And I had it--for a couple of days. Then a couple of things happened. First, swelling subsided. Second, the size of the stomach around which the band is seated decreased. This happens with weight loss--and it causes loosening.

How long has it been since your fill? There's a good chance you don't have restriction, even if you appeared to when last checked. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't need to go back for incremental fills over time.

I hope you reach a comfy spot soon!