Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60 Day Liquid Diet - Countdown

Today was my first day for my 60 day high Protein liquid VLC diet that my surgeon ordered. Wow - it was much harder than I was expecting. I cheated a tiny bit by having a bite of my sons steak. boo. :thumbup: But, I wrote it down in the journal they gave me. I will fess up to my mistakes!

I'm worn out and I haven't really done anything today. I don't know if I can do all 60 days. 59 more days seems like a lifetime. :thumbup:

Wow, 60 days??? I thought 2 weeks was harsh. Hang in there. I felt the same way after day one. I'm on day 5 right now. It does get a bit easier and it's all for a good cause. When is your surgery?

I just got slammed with the pre-op liquid diet. Although my primary care physician showed a 7 lb loss 6 weeks between visits, at my surgeon's today they recorded only 5 lbs between 7 weeks.

So, I'm on the liquid diet between now and surgery. Good news is that they gave me a tentative surgery time frame now, if my blood work and everything pans out. That would be late April. But, I also have to drop some pounds.

The diet they put me on has to be fed-ex delivered and won't get here until Wednesday AM.

Just the thought of this transition had me eat something when I came home today at 1pm ... then work out, then work out, then eat some lettuce ... an egg. I don't know whether to say goodbye to food with a hurrah before Wednesday or to steel myself for it. I think I am steeling myself for it.

I even went out to buy some menthol sugar-free cough drops just to suck and ruin my taste buds for anything good should the the threat pop up ... I know I'm not alone in this, anyway, so thank you everyone for this board :thumbup:

Today is day 3 and I am absolutely starving today! I have had 2 of the shakes, 2 cups of broth, 1 Jello, 3 bottles of Water but my tummy is still growling and I have to 'go' all the time! I'm miserable but I still have 57 more days to go. My surgeon told me that they would schedule me for 4 weeks out depending on how I go this first week.

It's not fun. The nutritionist said to me when she laid out the rules - it's just 60 days compared to the rest of your life. but day 3 already feels like the rest of my life - lol:mad2:

I've never heard of doing it for 60 days??? Good luck...

In my opinion, 60 days is absolutely crazy!! Not to mention unhealthy.. Well, if you ever feel like you need to "cheat" choosing lean meats, low fat cheese and eggs are your best options. The key is no carbs. Good luck and bless your heart! I'm on day 13 of my 14 day pre-op diet and it's been absolute hell! So if you can get through 60 days...you're one strong person!

May I ask what kind of Protein powder/liquid do they have you on?

60 days?!? You officially win the award for longest pre-op diet ever. That's insane.

Mine is also going to be around 6 weeks, 7 if you count this past week. I am on a shake/supplement program called HMR. It's out of Boston. Even though the website says you can order online, the links to order send you to different weight loss management programs. I went back thru my hospital to finally get it.

The shakes come in vanilla, chocolate and chicken Soup and are 100 calories each. Putting some sugar free gelatin/pudding into the shakes gives them some extra flavor and thickens them.

It's about as fun as any other shake / liquid diet program so I can't say it's a fiesta, but as with any other shake / liquid diet program, if you follow it, you will lose. And while as again with any other shake / liquid diet program, you can probably expect to put the weight back shortly after you stop, the goal here is just to get to a band-approvable weight.

I'm down 8 more pounds since Monday (6 days ago) and have not been "perfect" this first week ... if I've had food cravings I've had a hard boiled egg or a few slices of turkey or ham, or a handful of strawberries.

I still need to lose another 10lbs or so according to my program.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm on the end of day 13 and I'm down a little over 20 pounds. I opted to purchase the EAS shakes from Walmart at half the price that the doctor's office was offering. I am to have 5 to 6 a day. I supplement it with broth and sugar free Jello and lots of Water and off brand calorie free crystal light.

I have lost control a few times. The first weekend I totally messed up one day - having an emotional breakdown with just the pressure of having to get through 60 days! But now if I break down or have a moment of weakness I have a cup of salad greens with 1/8 cup of tuna, no dressing, nothing else and skip a shake. It gives me the chewing satisfaction and the tuna gives me the Protein the doctor wants.

It's true what they say - when you're hungry you will eat anything. I have never liked salad nor tuna. :)

I have 47 days left and I know that I can make it through and onto the next stages of my new way of eating. I know after surgery I will still be on liquids but having the light at the end of the tunnel helps.

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm on the end of day 13 and I'm down a little over 20 pounds. I opted to purchase the EAS shakes from Walmart at half the price that the doctor's office was offering. I am to have 5 to 6 a day. I supplement it with broth and sugar free Jello and lots of Water and off brand calorie free crystal light.

I have lost control a few times. The first weekend I totally messed up one day - having an emotional breakdown with just the pressure of having to get through 60 days! But now if I break down or have a moment of weakness I have a cup of salad greens with 1/8 cup of tuna, no dressing, nothing else and skip a shake. It gives me the chewing satisfaction and the tuna gives me the Protein the doctor wants.

It's true what they say - when you're hungry you will eat anything. I have never liked salad nor tuna. :smile:

I have 47 days left and I know that I can make it through and onto the next stages of my new way of eating. I know after surgery I will still be on liquids but having the light at the end of the tunnel helps.

Looks/sounds like you have great start. Keep up the good work! :laugh:

Sixty days does seem like a longggg time. I had a two-week "liver shrink" diet that was two Slim-Fasts a day with a Healthy Choice (or equivalent - I chose Healthy Choice because you got a whole meal including dessert) for dinner. I did swap out the Healthy Choice dinner for Tomato Soup and HUGE salad a couple nights. As strange as it seems, I am a sweets freak, but I absolutely craved Soup and salad. I guess knowing it would be a long time before I could have a huge salad again, I was determined to try it.

I admire your determination, and if nothing else this will prove to your doctor and everyone around you that you are serious in this venture you've undertaken. Kudos to you!

I don't know how you do it. Thinking of the 60 days. I've got to be on mine for 3 weeks and its hard. My doctor says NO food. Only 5 opti-fast, popcyles, Jello (sf ofcourse),crystalite and Water. I'm amazed that some are allowed actual food. God bless you!