Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lack of Motivation to Move!

I met with the surgeon and dietician 2/25/10. I meet with the psychologist tomorrow. She said make sure you bring your tracking sheets (1400 calories day plus exercise). Well, I have been trying to stick to 1400 calories/day, but I have not been able to get off my butt to get on the ellyptical. I have been in a funk for months as far as movement. I think when I regained that last 20 lbs I just was disgusted and at this weight I feel like a slug. Anyway, wonder what the psychologist is going to do since I am not exercising? I am going to try to jump on today, just to show I am trying. Anyone get beat up for not exercising when they met with the shrink?

If you can manage to push yourself to do it for a couple of days you will slip into a groove and in time won't have to push as hard.

And when you see the weight loss resulting from it you won't have to push at all.

Thanks BT. I am going right now and jump on that thing! Thanks for the encouragement!

Great advice already!!

The one thing my trainer told me to focus on is "baby steps"

I only focus on TODAY, not tomorrow, next week, or next year....just today. I do what I am suppose to do, then I enjoy my success. When I wake up tomorrow, I tackle it when it comes...but don't think about it today.

Totally cliche' to say "One day at a time" but is SO true!!

Best of luck!!

Thanks BT. I am going right now and jump on that thing! Thanks for the encouragement!

Ok, I dun good! :thumbup:I have been on the elliptical the past two days for 30 minutes each day! Yeah! It is a start. Let's hope this keeps up. It is also good to know as a motivator, that the exercise is so that you do not get blood clots in your legs after surgery. My psychologist reminded of this today! A very good reason to MOVE IT! :)

Good job!!

Once you get in the groove you will do it without even thinking about it. If you have one of those days where you just can't get in the mood, compromise and only do 15 or 20 minutes.

and always take a couple of minutes when you are done to realize how much better you feel and thank yourself.

BT's right--like any other health behavior, it's just something you have to ritualize. It becomes habit.

None of us waits for motivation to brush our teeth, or wash our faces, or any of the myriad other health behaviors we have to carry out each day. We just do them.

I'm really, really glad that you're well on your way to making exercise a habit. One good day leads to another...and so on.

Don't worry about what the psychologist will say. If you are questioned, focus on the positive. It's okay to say, "You know, I was having a really hard time motivating myself---but then I realized I simply have to just do it. It took me a little longer than I would have liked to reach that realization, but I'm really happy that I'm in a good groove with it now. I plan to keep it up."

Thanks Betsy for your advice and support. Amazing how 30 min. of exercise a day is not a big deal...the brain really tries hard to talk one out of it.

I'm glad you found some motivation!! Even though I work out extremely hard weekly, this thread motivated me to do even more!

I work in Downtown Denver, and now have my calendar remind me every 2 hours to go walk. I walk 10 blocks 3 times a day on top of my 4 day a week mega-workout routine.

I think adding these little walks will boost my metabolism up even higher. It's funny how if you just make a commitment to do something, it's easy. It's when you have even the smallest excuse not to, does it become overwhelming!

I set my calendar, get my reminder, get on my running shoes and out I go...SO EASY!! Then at the end of the day it was so simple, I almost forget to count it into my work-out. Can you imagine almost leaving out 30 walking blocks? LOL

Thanks for the inspiration...you can do it too!!!

Hi CB,

WOW, impressed with your walking! :success1:You go girl! Do you ever do weights? I am going to try to introduce those, so these flabby arms will not get worse! Can't wait to exercise with when I weigh much less! It will feel so much better!

Unfortunately, if you're feeling like this and haven't had the surgery I'm afraid you're going to be sadly dissapointed post surgery. I haven't read all the responses but please know the band is not the magic bullet....tut diet and exercise together is! Please be honest with pschologist (they've heard it all) maybe you need to have your hormones/depression checked as well. All the best to you.