Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BLEH! I have sugery on November the 18th..and live on the 3rd floor

What do I do?

Will it be okay to walk up them to get home that day? I KNOW I want to be at home but is this feasible? Will it hurt the incisions, the band...me?

hmmm, a walk up 3 stories might be too much the day of your surgery. You might be able to do it since you do in everyday anyway.

I was up and down stairs in my home on the day of surgery. If it's just one trip, and as long as you're not carrying anything, it's probably do-able. But of course only time will tell, since you even now have no idea how you'll be recovering from surgery. Have you ever had surgery before? Laparoscopic surgery? General anaesthesia? How have you bounced back from these things?

Walking up stairs will not hurt your incisions or your band, as long as you're using your legs primarily to get up the stairs, not pulling yourself with your arms. Walking is encouraged post-op, in fact. The biggest problem might be anaesthesia hangover, you might be dizzy or faint. If you have any reason to think that could be a problem, try to have someone accompany you up the stairs. That would be prudent under any circumstances, actually. But the stairs themselves shouldn't be an issue.

No never had any surgery...wisdom teeth out that was about it. Okay that's pretty good, i'll have someone help me up them. *Phew* that's good to know I really did want to be home day of surgery. Wow it's November 18th. It's so exciting and so scary at the same time. It's kind of sad but I had "Thanksgiving" lunch today because I won't be able to eat a week before surgery and a few other factors with my mothers health, but it was horrible how badly I wanted to get "thanksgiving" in. At the same time though I was estatic that it was the last thanksgiving that I will be eating like I did, as much as I did, and looking like i look. :)

I live on the third floor too. I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights, and made sure I took a dose of pain med as I was leaving the hospital. I took it slow, and had no problems.

Jini

I live on the second floor, the stairs were no problem for me hours after surgery. It was the sitting down that hurt! You should be fine if you have someone there to help you. Glad you enjoyed Thanksgiving!!

Well, I had to park on the roof of the parking garage at the hospital. A parking garage with NO elevator, so upon leaving the hospital I had to climb four levels to get to the car. My sister carried my bag. I took it super slow. But it can be done.

Luck on your banding!!

My bedroom is on the 3rd floor of my house and I made it up there fine... several times a day, right after surgery. Sure, it hurt a bit, but so did sitting and laying down lol. You'll be fine :rolleyes: Just make sure you have someone there with you... take it slow and easy.

Good luck on the banding :P

I am getting my band the Monday AFTER Thanksgiving--I have had 37 Thanksgivings-I'll take living without the "feasts" to lost this weight. I know it's cliche, but I will swear to the fact that "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." Even though I was only thin for about 6 months and was self-conscious and felt fat the entire time! I remember telling my husband I was into a size 6 and he said, "How soon til the 4?" He wasn't being knowingly mean-he just thought all women were capable of fitting into that size-like his mom and first wife!