Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hidey Ho! I joined here... 2 nights ago? I was researching and joined up to read more about what people who'd had the surgery thought of it. I suppose I'll introduce myself, now.

I'm Melissa. I live in Mobile, Alabama and have been contemplating having WLS for quite a while-- at LEAST since the birth of my daugher back in '07. When I started looking into it a little more seriously... Lo and behold, I found out I was pregnant with our second baby (born in Sept of last year).

I've struggled with being overweight all of my adult life... I thought I was overweight as a teen, but really, I was tiny. Weird how our brains work as teenagers. :smile2:

At the moment, I've not attended seminar or met with a surgeon. I know who I would like to perform my surgery-- Steven Weinstein here in Alabama. A friend had full on bypass back in 2002 and she can't say enough great things about her surgeon. But, when I called for an appointment Friday, I was told I had to attend a seminar first. The first available seminar is March 10, so... Only 3 more days away! Hopefully I can get in to see him promptly after that and get the ball rolling.

My BMI is around the 40 mark.. (I can't decide exactly as I'm unsure how tall I am-- I've been told between 5'6 and 5'8, depending on the doctors office-- weird, I know) I don't have any obesity related health problems AT THE MOMENT. Well, other than foot pain from walking with so much weight on me and occasional back pain. But, in my family Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, respiratory problems, and the like run rampant. I know I'm on track for all of that. And I've got an almost 3 year old and an almost 6 month old... Not to mentioned a husband I love very, very much. I owe it to them (not to mention MYSELF) to get healthy.

I've tried numerous diets and I can lose OK, but... It always come back with a few friends. This is the largest I've ever been and I know I'm headed for serious problems unless the changes are made... And I feel that lap- band will be the ONLY way I can make the necessary changes! I'm excited to be here... Excited to find others who understand my pain (my DH is skinny-- he SO does not get it)... And excited I'm finally willing to admit that I have a problem and have GOT to have help to fix it!

Thanks for making it through my introduction novel. I look forward to getting to know y'all! :)

Welcome, Melissa!!

Glad you found LBT. It's a great place to ask questions and meet people who DO understand.

Welcome, Melissa :biggrin:

I hear you sister! I am also new here but I got banded on Feb 26, 2010 and I am so happy that I made this lif changing decsion for myself and my family too! Looking forward to getting to know everyone too!!!

Roxie R:wub:

Welcome to LapBandTalk. This is a great resource for finding information about banded life!