Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm still very early on in the process, but I have had my first visit to the location where I'll be getting banded. So the wheels are in motion....

I just realized that's the first time I've ever really said "I'll be getting banded" freely. It's a bit scary, as was the initial visit to the bariatric center. I think that's because it's such a major life decision, and all life decisions are scary. But I think it's especially scary because it's such a personal decision and it concerns such a private and painful area of my life that I haven't really opened up about (not even online).

One of the things I most admire about folks on this thread is their openness and honesty - with themselves, with others - and their willingness to share. It may be more common to be heavier these days, but I don't think that means that those of us who are significantly overweight are any less prone to shame or self-doubt. So it's helpful to me - especially as a guy who doesn't have a real support system or anyone like me to share my feelings about this with - to have this forum around. This is hard enough to do without feeling alone, and when I'm on here I feel can feel the support of the community.

Anyway, I have been on here for a couple months, have done lots of research, and have made the decision. I still have some questions and some concerns (mostly logistical), and I'm sure as I get closer to the reality of this I'll have my doubts. But I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you to all those who have taken the time to post to this incredible forum, and in doing so have made it easier for me to do the same.

ACP

Boston, MA

Welcome to our forum, we are glad your here, posting that is since you have been here for a while. Congratulations on your decision, I hope you do well. Let us know if we can answer any questions for you.

Welcome aboard!

I am basically in the same boat as far as support goes. I moved across the country for work a couple of years ago and have very few close friends here.

The people on this website have been great support. I don't know if it is a misery loves company deal or not but it works.

Welcome!

I agree-- this is a great place, with lots of supportive people. It's nice to be able to talk to people who "get it."

Welcome to posting :biggrin:

I think honesty is *so* important when it comes to this and, like you, I'm so grateful that so many people are wiling to be open and honest about their journeys!

Congratulations on your decision! I was just banded in Boston on Feb. 8, 2010 and have lost 31 pounds so far! It is a huge decision. But, I am so happy I did it. I live near Cape Cod, MA and if I can be of any support, please let me know. This website is awesome. Everyone is honest and very supportive. Good luck.

Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in - it's great to hear from you and I am sure I'll have some questions and need a little support from time to time. It's still very early in my process, but I'm committed and I'm probably looking at an early summer surgery date.

Looking forward to following your journeys as I start mine....

-ACP

Congrats on making the decision! I too made the decision back in October, the time will pass very quickly. You touched on some of the emotional aspects of weight gain and weight loss, I have read many great trheads on this subject here. They really opened my eyes to the person I have become and to the road that I am about to travel. Good luck on your journey and dont be a stranger.

:frown: