Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am the only person in WW history, I think, who GAINED weight on the program, following it to a T---you know, all the Healthy Guidelines, etc.

Nope...right there with you, Betsy. I went on WW back in 1980 and that was when I could honestly look at the 'volume' I was eating and wonder how the heck I could possibly weigh 200 lbs. Long story short, it had more to do with loving carbs, junk food and all the wrong things combined with a low metabolism from lack of activity.

At any rate, I joined WW and was horrified at the amount of food they wanted me to eat. I asked the woman if there was a revised plan and she said no and basically said that I was lying to myself. That I really eat more than I admit I do. Ok...30 days later, I'd gained 12 pounds and I'm telling you I was a fanatic about measuring everything!

When I got up on the scale and showed a 12 pound gain and the woman told me I was not being honest about recording what I was eating...and was booed by the group...I walked out and haven't had any use for WW since.

I try to keep my carbs below 50 even though I know that 25-35 would be better as far as my blood sugar is concerned.

For me, it also has to do with how my body reacts to some carbs vs. others. oatmeal and Lentils are great, lots of carbs for energy and it does not trigger the craving for more carbs. You need to have some good carbs in your life, especially if you are exercising regularly.

The real key is to listen to you body. We all have to experiment a bit with the band and find the things that work for us. I can't go super low in carbs and work out effectively. Keep trying things until you find the right balance. If there is one thing I have learned from this forum and the people here...one size does not fit all.

In Australia we don't low carb and we have just as much success with the band as in the US.We are advised to eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes all food groups.

I eat things like a poached egg on toast for Breakfast - far more satisfying than just eggs or egg whites or whatever.

lunch might be tuna, salad and some wholewheat ryvita or similar crackers. Sometimes a toasted sandwich etc.

dinner is Protein + veg + some kind of carb.

I choose wholewheat options whenever I can. I have always preferred the taste of multigrain bread over white bread.I eat potatoes and rice but in small quantities etc.

For a snack I might have fruit with some greek yogurt and a spoonful of natural untoasted muesli.

I find this way of eating easy to stick to and satisfying. it means I am eating the same foods as everyone else and not cooking 2 different meals.

I do not do Protein shakes or supplements and have had no issues with things such as hair loss.

Carbs are not the villians that they are often made out to be. Most of them have a Protein content as well and among other things they help keep you regular.

I don't see why you shouldn't include healthy carbs in your eating plan and still be successful.

EXCELLENT post!! I totally agree regarding eating healthy vs eating low or no carb!!

Here is my "simple" diet.

I eat absolutely NOTHING ELSE but protein until my daily limit is reached! This helps me more than anything. I LOVE Muscle Milk light and have one or two handy at all times! It is MUCH better to grab 20g of protein in a shake than drive all over town trying to find something high protein & low carb.

I drink at LEAST 10 glasses of Water a day. I do not eat anything other than protein until this goal is also met.

Once #1 & #2 are met, I can eat/drink anything I want! It is a TOTAL mind game for me people! Because after I "check off" all my dietary tasks, I'm so full that I don't want anything else..lol. It TOTALLY WORKS!!!

But on the rare occasion I want a "no-no" food, all the work I've put in prior to that occasion makes it OK.

Here is the best explanation I've ever received regarding protein/carbs & diet. I'm sure it's been posted before, but for those who have never heard it...here goes.

Your metabolism is like a fire. Protein is the "wood" that keeps the fire burning. Carbs is the "water" that puts the fire out.

So when you wake up in the morning, you NEED to get that "fire" burning. Eat good protein (in any form). Then 2-3 hours later, "stoke" that fire by giving it more protein. Now your fire is burning big and tall. Then feed it again every 2-3 hours and your metabolism fire will be raging!!

When you eat carbs (good grains, etc.) that will dampen the fire, but not put it out-that is OK and natural.

Once that fire has been burning so long, it will burn the pounds like crazy and give you more energy than you've ever had.

My daily routine is simple. I start the fire in the am, burn it until late afternoon, then eat sensibly once my "goals" are met. It's simple but fool-proof for me. HOpe if helps someone else!!!

I believe that each persons body reacts differently to carbs. I know I am carb sensitive. My doctor did not limit my carbs in any way.

If you are not losing the way you want, you may be carb sensitive also.

I am very envious of all of you that can eat carbs. I just can't eat that many. I don't think it is a U.S. or Aussie thing. I think it is an individual thing.

I love the idea of eating all your Proteins first. And like Cingulus said we do need carbs for our body to function properly. Some carbs react much better than others, even good carbs with different people.

Thanks for the good carb suggestions.

Betsy, I think we have the same body. Those carbs are killers for weight loss.

So you really need to find out what works for you.

Edited by pickles123