Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My dietician wants me to keep my carbs to less than 60 grams a day, and to have 60-80 grams of Protein a day. I am really struggling with this. I feel like I'm always trying to grab something quick to eat, and it's so easy to eat quick carbs (cereal, toast, sandwich) while protein involves cooking. I have tried drinking Protein Shakes to get my protein in, but I don't think that is what the dietician intended. Less than 60 grams of carbs seems so impossible to me. A bowl of Cereal and milk is almost 60 grams of carbs. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to reach this goal? I'm really getting sick of scrambled eggs and cottage cheese, and I can't see myself eating like this for the rest of my life.

By the way, does anyone know the logic behind this? I grew up on the "Weight Watchers" mentality - keep your points below a certain amount and you will lose weight. I thought it was calories in vs. calories used. Can someone more knowledgable than me explain this?

Thanks!

Pre-band I had gone back and forth MANY times between low carb and WW. They are two different schools of thinking (especially hard core low carbing). Carb loaded foods are the quickest things to grab UNLESS you plan ahead of things you can grab like cheese sticks, deli meat and cheese roll, pre-cooked turkey burgers and lots of other things. Regular Yogurt is higher in carbs than some greek yogurt. Did she give you any kind of meal plan? If you are not already trying a food diary program, myfitnesspal.com has been awesome for me. It has a huge data base of foods and will track your Protein, fat, carbs, and calories. You can also track your exercise.

I have not done WW in a while but I thought they had come out with a low-carb version???

best of luck.:smile2:

The rationale is that, for tissue growth, maintenance, and healing, protein---from an external source---is required.

Carbohydrate provides energy---but our bodies have ample, ample supplies of stored energy. Therefore, we don't really need it from an external source during the weight loss phase. (During maintenance, this changes.)

It is tricky to find easy-to-grab foods. This is probably why my doctor--who does recommend a higher-protein, lower carb approach--is a 3-meals-a-day guy. Aside from discouraging grazing (the path to destruction for some of us), it's just easier to stick to this sort of plan if you don't have to do as much thinking!

I do eat this way. I don't always adhere to the three-meals-a day thing; sometimes I really need a snack. For those, I do use Protein supplements sometimes--primarily because they are easy, low in calories, and a good Protein source. But usually, I grab a string cheese or a Babybel.

Nonstarchy veggies are another alternative, if you've added them back in to your repertoire.

Really, it's just a matter of practice. I pared out most carbs pretty substantially a couple of years before banding, and keep my carbs around 25-35 most days (and never more than 50)---after a while, you find that you don't really miss them. It's just a matter of identifying the alternatives.

There is a carb group of here that seem to do really great.

Betsy 25-35 is really great.

I know that carbs are my downfall; but, I can only limit so much. I do less than 60 but wish it was 25-35. I just can't seem to do it.

My downfall with WW was that I carbed out. I lost 62 pounds never went over 20 points or used my extra 35 a week. But, of that 20 points too many were carbs and I just stopped losing.

I just stopped losing with 20 points a day. So that is why I got the band.

The doesn't stop me eating carbs but it does help me to get my Proteins in first so I am not so hungry for the carbs. I do Protein, veg and then carbs if I am hungry.

When I grow up I hope to be one of you low carb people. I just can't seem to do it yet.

Any suggestions to lower the carbs would be appreciated.

I think WW is great for the journaling and accountability of weighing in each week; but, they just don't push the low carbs as much as I need. (If you do go, don't tell them you have the band) Remember we are the ones that take the easy way out.

I am the only person in WW history, I think, who GAINED weight on the program, following it to a T---you know, all the Healthy Guidelines, etc.

It was only when they introduced the CORE plan---when I could eat well BELOW the point range they always insisted we must meet, lest we experience "starvation mode" that I was able to lose.

I think that ultimately, that will be the way I eat, long-term: mostly Protein and nonstarchy veggies, with the addition of legumes and occasional WHOLE grains.

But for now, when losing, it's Protein, protein, protein!

My nutritionist has said 130 carbs. I don't think I am getting that much, but it's more than 20 for sure. I don't count them, just calories and protien.

I believe what's really important is getting carbs from the right sources. Whole grain Cereal and bread, brown rice, Beans, fruit and dairy has some good carbs too.

As far as why it's important to keep carbs low has to do with blood sugar. When you take in carbs (espcially refined carbs like white bread or rice, cake, candy et..) your blood sugar rises, and that causes your body to produce insilin. When your body gets the insilin it stores the sugar as fat. Whole grain carbs are better because they contain some Fiber that slows down this process.

Hope this helps!

It is funny how each health care team is so different. I can not get a calorie number out of my nutritionist. I need 60-70 oz Protein per day, 15 grams Fiber and nothing should be over the 5% total fat or carb amount. I was never given a # of total carbs per day. It is a huge juggling act and often I can come close to the requirements, but not all. It has made me way more conscious of labels though.

In Australia we don't low carb and we have just as much success with the band as in the US.We are advised to eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes all food groups.

I eat things like a poached egg on toast for Breakfast - far more satisfying than just eggs or egg whites or whatever.

lunch might be tuna, salad and some wholewheat ryvita or similar crackers. Sometimes a toasted sandwich etc.

dinner is Protein + veg + some kind of carb.

I choose wholewheat options whenever I can. I have always preferred the taste of multigrain bread over white bread.I eat potatoes and rice but in small quantities etc.

For a snack I might have fruit with some greek yogurt and a spoonful of natural untoasted muesli.

I find this way of eating easy to stick to and satisfying. it means I am eating the same foods as everyone else and not cooking 2 different meals.

I do not do Protein shakes or supplements and have had no issues with things such as hair loss.

Carbs are not the villians that they are often made out to be. Most of them have a protein content as well and among other things they help keep you regular.

I don't see why you shouldn't include healthy carbs in your eating plan and still be successful.

The only number my nutrionist gave me was 60+ grams of protien.... 25-30 grams of carbs is hard core low carbing similar to the Atkins diet - i did that many years ago and lost 93 but it isnt a way of eating you can live with forever...

I was told nice rounded meal, but to eat my Protein then my veg and then the carbs - some days my carbs are very low and others they are on the higher side..

I have come to the realization that simple carbs and my body simply do not agree with each other. It is tough dealing with carb cravings at first, but they do go away.

My diet mainly consists of Protein and green leafy/cruciferous veggies now. I am trying to embrace the "clean eating" philosophy, and so far I feel pretty good. I had no idea that kale and swiss chard were so tasty. :smile2:

I am also trying to incorporate more organic produce and antibiotic-free meat into my diet. I figure since I'm eating less now that I can splurge. This is my new way of treating myself.

I haven't yet incorporated whole grains back into my diet. I want to hold off on adding those for a least a few more months. But I just need to accept that refined sugar and flour are not on the agenda for me anymore. So, if it did not roam the earth or come out of the earth, I'm not eating it, and it must be as close to it's natural state as possible. Processed foods will kill you.

My nutritionist has told me not to worry about my carb intake, as long as I'm consuming "good" whole grain carbs (fruits, dark leafy veggies, etc). However, since I have PCOS and insulin resistance issues, I try to stay below 100 grams a day, which is supposedly in the right range for weight-loss. So far so good.

Best,

Lauren

Elcee, I do think there is more emphasis on low-carb here---but only among a handful of physicians, and (it seems) only during the weight loss phase. You know, when we already have enough energy stores plastered on our thighs and bums to sustain us for a decade!

I don't think that, for most people, going low-carb is a necessity. For many, it's purely an energy in-energy out thing.

For some of us (and I am among them), there is a degree of metabolic resistance that responds better to paring down on carbs. Not the good stuff (veggies, legumes, etc.). Just the junkier stuff that we're all better off without. I suspect that the U.S. has more of the garbage-y stuff, more readily available, than Australia, but I may be wrong.

I think my surgeon's primary rationale for promoting low-carb eating is that he really wants his patients to restructure the way they eat. Committing to eating this way for the first year gives us adequate time to get a good handle on the weight loss, and reframe our relationship with food. It's not the low-carb regimen, per se, that gives his patients a higher success rate than is most often achieved in this country. It's the overhaul of eating habits, in general. If you rethink your relationship with food quite thoroughly, you're less apt to slide (no pun intended) back into bed with the junky stuff that goes down easily.

It's not a bad approach, though it IS quite restrictive. With the band, however, it is not difficult--as long as you approach it with the understanding that life is life, and there will be occasions when you do deviate from the plan. And that's okay.

I am a type 1 diabetic so I have done low carb for at least the last 11 years. I still needed to get the band because of Portion Control. I believe in the low carb approach because of exhaustive research I did before I decided to do it. The key is knowledge. I had no trouble doing it once I became convinced it was healthy. I have much more energy low carb than I did before. I only use sugar when I need it for low blood sugar times. I actually prefer this way of eating so when my surgeon said this was the way he wanted me to eat, I did not have a problem with it. I have found a few tricks over the years that help. I use ezekiel bread when I crave a sandwich. It is 14 carbs per slice and I can not eat more than half of a sandwich so it is perfect. I also use the new low carb wraps that Mission makes and they are really good. Breyer makes a low carb icecream bar which I haven't bought for a while because I don't seem to crave them any more. There are some inexpensive yogurts that are less than 14 carbs also. I use splenda quite a bit, but only for coffee and Ice tea since I don't crave Desserts very often either. The sugar free pudding cups are only about 14 carbs. Read labels and you will be surprised how many choices you actually have. Hugs!!!!

I think it IS purely calories in v calories out. Low carbing it is just another way to keep calories low.

maybe for a very small percentage of people, the low carb method works with their bodies better than anything else. Eating a lot of Protein does make you less hungry too so its easier to eat less.

Then again, it also makes me have very upset stomachs, extremely stinky gas and horrible Constipation, so maybe that's why I prefer the calories in calories out approach.

that doesnt, however, make it OK to grab carbs carbs carbs as quick Snacks. That's a trap you have to avoid. Nobody needs the amount of carbs most of us were eating. You have to be well prepared to avoid that - shopping and cooking wise. I always keep things like cold hard boiled eggs in the fridge. As another aussie, I share Elcee's approach, i include wholegrain carbs and just try to avoid junk like biscuits, chips, cakes etc. But I find my meals more satisfying, my digestive system a lot healthier (and more sociable) and my energy levels better and more constant with wholegrains in my diet.

I agree that for most people, it is a calories in/calories out thing.

I'm not 'most people,' I've found. I've tracked my intake on fitday for years, and when all other things are equal, I lose better on less carb and more Protein. It defies logic, drives me bonkers, and for years I rebelled against it...much to the detriment of my midsection and butt.

But it is what it is---and I've learned I just have to accept it and work with it.

I would never tell anyone else they had to do it in order to have success. But I do.