Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating or Good Planning?

So the kids and I were super busy yesterday with ball practice and meetings. I knew early in the day that the minute I picked up my DD from school it would be non-stop running here and there. So I budgeted (notice my clever use of terminology in hopes of justifying my behavior) my calories, carbs, fat, and Protein numbers throughout the day so that I would be able to eat with the kiddos on the way to yet another meeting.

We stopped into McAlisters and I had 5 tortilla chips with 2 Tbsp. of cheese dip which I did measure out. :smile2:!!! I know - I felt awful afterwards, and TRUST ME...this is not something that I normally do anymore. I have given up fast food for good - I thought McAlisters would be a better choice. I should have had asked for a potato and had a few bites of it and then wrapped up the rest. Or I could have had the Soup or a salad or any number of things that were healthier. I realize I didn't make the healthiest choice. And I have vowed to myself to choose more wisely next time.

But here's the thing....when I got home and tallied up my nutritional values for the day, everything lined up perfectly. I didn't go over in any of my categories, and I got in a mile walk/jog. But I still felt guilty for having the nachos.

So I thought I'd ask you guys and see what you think. Did I cheat on my diet, or would you consider this planning ahead? How do you guys handle stressful nights of rushing kids around to activity after activity? Do you brown bag it, or do you go to restaurants or fast food?

I would say you did great! This is life- there are times when you can't have exact portions with perfect nutritional value. There are going to be times when you eat cake. Have a few bites & move on. Be mindful or what you do eat but don't obsess.

Great job- keep up the good work!

I don't think you are cheating. I think you are doing just great. I try to choose wisely about 90% of the time and the rest I don't worry about. If I have a busy day or if it's Friday night, we might order pizza. I eat a slice and I don't get too concerned. This weight loss thing is a marathon, not a sprint. I need to live my life, too.

Cindy

You did perfect – it wasn’t a cheat – Remember this is a lifetime lifestyle change – You did the right thing by planning and budgeting your calories – I eat healthy 95-98% of the time – You have to allow for life and foods that you do enjoy – it’s all about moderation – planning – budgeting and exercise and you have done all that …. WTG !!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, ya'll!! :smile: I kind of felt like it was a budgeted cheat. And since I felt guilty about it, I figured I had done something wrong. Afterall, I teach my kids that if their "insides" feels guilty, then it's a pretty strong indicator that you shouldn't practice that behavior again.

This is why I love this forum!! I felt like I had royally screwed up, and instead found out that I'm not as awful as I felt!! :smile2: Thanks again!! :w00t:

It sounds to me like you made it work for you. Nothing wrong with that!

You chose something out of your comfort zone---but it aligned with what you needed really well. To me, that says that you're internalizing your "rules" and applying them in a real-life way.

You enjoyed a snack. Big deal! Don't you dare lose a second of sleep over it.

I hope I've given up fast food for good but I plan on eating chips and dip once in a while when I get back to normal.

I just wouldn't do it if I was supposed to be on liquids or mushies.

I agree with everyone - I make healthy food choices most of the time, but I go for "bad" foods every once in a while. But, I DO count and measure everything that goes into my mouth and track all of my nutrition on my computer. So what if I have some fast food or bad Snacks on occasion? The scale still goes down, I stay in my calorie range, I work out, etc. A good "diet" doesn't swear off ANY foods...you just learn how to eat proper portions and eat "bad" foods in moderation. Want some ice cream? Have it. But hold yourself accountable...which is exactly what you did! Kudos to you :smile2:

It sounds to me like it was a win-win. You planned for it, plus you learned from it.

You planned for a not-so-healthy treat. Yes, I make some bad choices sometimes, without planning for them. :smile2:

AND, you learned that you'd have prefered a healthier choice!

To me, after being banded, it isn't cheating--ever. We are no longer on "diets"--we are continually learning and adjusting. We make choices. Some are better than others. Some have more calories than others. Some help us on the way to weight loss, some don't.

I think you did great!