Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 3/31 - Easter Weekend Questions

I got a call from the surgeon's office yesterday giving me a surgery date of 3/31. I was surprised it was so soon but also very happy to get it done. My concern is that my wife's family is coming to stay with us for the Easter Weekend starting on Friday 4/2.

Only my wife knows of the surgery and I do not plan to tell anyone else at least at this time. Does anyone know how I should expect to feel 2 days after surgery? I had an umbilical hernia repaired a few years back and a sat on the couch eating percocet for 2-3 days and then I was fine. I'm sort of expecting about the same.

It will also be fun explaining why I am skipping Easter dinner on Saturday Evening and Brunch the next day.

I also am wondering about communion at Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Everyone will probably look at me like I am possessed if I start burping and spitting up my communion wafer on Easter Sunday. That could be awkward. :(

I am unsure if I should try to reschedule for a week later or so or just go with it and make the best of it. Any advice would sure make me feel better about it.

-Dave

Hi, Dave,

This is such a personal journey, so it's hard to tell exactly how it will be for you. I can tell you that I felt well enough 3 days postop to attend my surgeon's monthly support group that evening. However, I was definitely still on pain meds at night, needed to walk around frequently to try and shift some of the gas build up, and was only on Clear liquids (and in small amounts at that)...I'm not being progressed to full liquids until Saturday.

With all of your concerns about your relatives, church, and the like, much as I know you're anxious to have the surgery, you may be better off postponing it until after the holiday is over, and you can focus your time/energy on your own healing, rather than having to play host and cope with the postop issues at the same time.

Fair winds to you!

Christine

Would it be considered sinful to spit out the waffer? I mean, don't do it in front of everyone. Just bring a tissue with you or something. Maybe you can tell your family members that you had another hernia repaired?

I'd call them and see if you can reschedule it for just after their visit. If they can, then that's what I'd do (for what THAT's worth).

I don't think I could have handled a house full of people a couple of days after my surgery.

Good luck, and congrats!