Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chronic Cough before the Surgery

I have had a chronic cough for over 20 years. It comes and goes and requires an antihistamine type cough Syrup to control. I was initially worried about the recuperation time after the surgery and my coughing but the first 10-12 days were relatively smooth then, it started. The weather took a change and the cough started and I can hardly describe the sharp, tearing pain that I have been having in and around the port area. It is unbearable. Pain meds do help, but they leave me hung over and that isn't good to lose weight or exercise. Also, most of the time the cough will startle me out of my sleep so I have no chance to grab the pillow to minimize the pain. I have been getting pretty exhausted with it all now. It hurts so bad. Does anyone else have (or have had) this problem. Please tell me that there is light at the end of this rainbow because I am almost ready to tell the doctor to 'get this thing out of my body asap'. I can't live on cough syrups and pain meds and feel like I may have made a mistake with the surgery, at least, before I didn't hurt like this. My surgery was on Feb. 5. Any help? :(

Ow! how miserable, coughing with a fresh band!

You say that, preop, you relied on the antihistamine to control the coughing; is that not working now? If not, I'd see the doctor to make sure that the cough you have now is not caused by something different.

In the meantime, you're not destined to a life of painkillers--BUT you are relatively recently banded, and taking pain medication to deal with post-op pain is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, until the cough is under control and you are over the hump pain-wise.

Be sure, when you cough, to splint your site by pressing your hands or a pillow over it. It really does help. A heating pad, when you're resting, can help, too.

But I'd start with the doctor to make sure I didn't need an antibiotic or bronchodilator.

Don't give up on the band yet! Conquer the cough.

I'm sorry you feel so cruddy!

I am sorry you are having such trouble.

Is it possible that you haven't totally healed from the port placement?

You might need the help of pain meds until you have fully healed. I know it took several months of the pain of my port area to fully go away.

Have you checked with your surgeon to make sure that you didn't tear something?

Best wishes with your recovery and decision.

I find that my restriction is not that good. It has been seven months since I was banded, and thus far I have lost only 20 pounds and developed a chronic cough for the last two months. I am able to eat more than 2 cups of food without any problems. What can I do speed up weight lost? And cure my chronic cough?

Is there anybody who is diagnosed with hypothyroid disease and having a slow weight lost after banding?

I tried to be inspired by those of you who were having such success with the band but after weeks of suffering with the pain and the coughing, I had the band removed. I haven't regretted it for one second. It just wasn't for me. I still cough but it's not agonizing. I am still overweight but I am working on it 'naturally' and if I succeed or not, I am happy. Good luck to all of you and Thank You.:biggrin: