Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food in Mexico

What did you, who went to Mexico, do for food the day after surgery when you were still in Mexico?

I left the day after surgery, but had a bottle of Water for the plane ride home. Had some hot tea at the airport. You really aren't hungry. Just make sure your water is bottled (no problem in MX) and you can probably pick up some canned chicken broth or pack a carton of it and heat it by the coffee cup in a microwave? Where are you going and how long are you staying?

I wish I would have prepared for this better when I had my surgery last week... as once I got out of the hospital and into the hotel, this was a small problem. I ordered the chicken Soup from room service and only ate the broth. I bought some juice boxes (apple and pear) and sipped those, and wish I would have thought to buy of all things those "cup-o-soup" packets that are single serving and mix with Water. I've used them this week, and they have helped (the broths only, nothing with chunks of anything in it). Tea bags might be a good idea too. (I was in Mexico 2 1/2 more past my surgery, which is why I regret not packing more "food" with me...)

Water in Mexico is generally not a risk if your staying in a good hotel or hospital, but you can't go wrong with bottle water... At the hospital I stayed at, they gave me a cup of Jello, a juice box, and a cup of tea the morning after my surgery.

Hope this helps. :) angie

I bought some juice boxes (apple and pear) and sipped those, and wish I would have thought to buy of all things those "cup-o-soup" packets that are single serving and mix with Water. I've used them this week, and they have helped (the broths only, nothing with chunks of anything in it). Tea bags might be a good idea too. (I was in Mexico 2 1/2 more past my surgery, which is why I regret not packing more "food" with me...)

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to pack juice boxes, powdered broth and tea bags. Anything else? Someone else mentioned that there is a costco just down the street from the hotel which carries most of these items. Is that right?

Sanjay

I went to a restaurant with my DH the day I got out. I asked for a bowl of broth only from the vegetable Soup, and they gladly fixed it for me! I had my bowl of veggie broth and a cup of Decaf tea while my husband had lunch. Other than that I sipped on bottled Water.< /p>

I was in the hospital for two nights after surgery so it wasn't a problem. I would suggest bringing your own broth. At Walgreens for a dollar you can buy a bottle of powder that you mix with hot (bottled) Water and drink. If you buy food in Mexico do NOT go to vendors!!!! Only go to respectable restaurants. They have filtered water or bottled water only. Just DO NOT go to the street vendors for ANYTHING!!

My doctor actually prepared a basket of things I could fix in my hotel room with just hot Water... cup Soups, teas, broths, etc.

Also, there was a grocery store right next door. I could have gone there if I'd needed more.