Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Check-in Thread For Oldster Bandsters

Well, someone suggested it and it sounds like a great idea, so here it is. The check-in site for older bandsters.

I'll get this started. I'm 63 and in the process of getting a loan to pay for my surgery if needed (can't cound on Medicare). I've had the Thallium scan. I had 5-way-bypass in 2001 and am doing fine in that department, but the weight has to go. I devoted myself literally to eating when they took my cigarettes away...but then that is what ended me up in surgery to start with. Now, the culprit is almost as bad. The weight has to go to help my heart and my arthritis. I have taken the sleep study and have sleep apnea. I'll be in the hospital for a night next week to see what amount of C-pap I need. I have taken a thallium stress test to make sure the arteries are still open. I'm scheduled for an echocardiogram on Monday (just because my cardiologist is overly careful and hears a slight murmur he thinks is mitral valve prolapse), which is liveable, but he wants to make sure there are no leaks from the bypass surgery. I am going to have all my blood work done on the 17th of Nov. and then I have the psych appt. and the appt. with the surgeon, at which point all the testing will be done, and I'll only have to wait for the surgery and to make sure I have money in hand.

OK, now the rest of you older bandsters (who are banded or waiting) please check in and lets give each other lots of encouragement and talk about our experiences. To date I don't have much to share, but am looking forward to hearing from all of you that have been banded and the weight loss you have achieved.

Check-in site officially open. :)

I'm 55 and down 51 lbs, plus a gain of 26 pounds of muscle. My mom is 74, who was banded in April at 73, she's down 36 lbs.

You are doing great and God Bless your Mom for having this done at 73. Did she do fine? Did you do fine? I read pros and cons on here about how people are doing right after the surgery. Some of it is scary, but then there are posts that give me hope.

We both did really well. The hardest part for both of us was the liquids for two weeks. The surgery was not a problem for either of us. I didn't have tummy gas, only pain in my left shoulder, which would go and come. It's nice having a buddy to go out and eat with, so we usually order the same foods. Like today, we went to Olive Garden and had Soup and salad. Neither of us have any regrets. I know a lady who had bypass a month after me and has dropped probably twice as many lbs as me, but I think this is the safer route for us.

Whoo hoo! An "oldies but goodies" thread!! I'm in!!

I'm still doing great...lost 34 pounds so far. I started going to the health club last week to swim so I could get a little exercise in. I basically tread Water for an hour but get a darn good workout! Other then some nerve pain in my leg, I'm feeling wonderful! It gets better every single day!!!!

So where are the rest of you "oldster" bandsters???

pam

Guest Uncle Mickey

57 next week.(15th) not banded but want to do something. Don't want to die fat! Not the only reason of course but i would like to be able to be a lot more active the remainder of my life. trying to see if Kaiser will cover the cost otherwise I will be going to Mexico and see Dr. Acevez in Mexicali. Appreciate all the info on this really great, informative site. LORD Bless

I too am waiting to be banded, but it will be done here in the states...someday when they get all the darned paperwork done. I guess there is far less to do for Mexico so perhaps that is a plus. Mine has been dragging on forever. I wish you luck and keep in touch.

My mom's surgery was covered by insurance, but I was self pay. It was a lot of money, but it was so worth it to me. I feel 10 years younger.