Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Exchange. To good for it?

Nycfw

I went to a clothing exchange, I have not had the surgery yet but I am schdule for lapbad surgey in march, so anyway I went there to give my older clothes way that I can not fit and do no want even when I do lose my weight. So I go there and it was like you know a big group and people just talking about their weight loss and other things, so we sit in group and began putting our stuff out and sharing and people taking want they want and then

I hear these 3 ladies saying wow she thinks to good to take our clothing and they kept saying it to other people but here I am with 5 big big bags of clothing half still have tags, I'm like what is the problem I'm just here to help I don't need to get clothes from here I have not had the surgery yet and when I do get it I will be buying my new items,

And they kept saying oh you think you to good for this you just think we are charity cases, you come here with your flashy car (ugh just a nissan lol) just to look down on us, that car is probally your parents anyways. (No asshole brought it fully no lease no finance)

So I'm like wait a second lady I'm sharing these items with y'all and most of my items cost 100$ and above and I'm giving it away your little posse are the only one with a problem, this stuff is not gap or old navy items, Walmart, target clothing, these items you have to special order or go to saks or berdoff goodman, and macys so on and so fourth. I don't want anyone else clothes I have been blessed to have a family that are very well off, I have a great designer position, and a fiance with a great bussiness, that I don't need to come here and look for clothing,

I'm not knocking it but why can't I just help with out having to put my hand in the pot. (This is why all these big bussiness are going down)

I think she was just upset because her weight lost stalled she only lost 30lbs(post/pre) and its been 6months. But I do not believe I was being snobby or looking down on people I just wanted to give my clothes to people going through the same things I'm going through.

I know if I would have taken it to salvation army they would have taken a lot of those items and not even give to the people that need it. I had a pair of jeans that cost me 200$ I never wore it and it still had the tags on it,(one of the ladies that was saying stuff took that and when I was walking out said sorry and thanks)

I just wanted someone else to have these items who had/having wls

But everyone else there were very happy with it and the other people told me those particular ladies are just mean ladies and don't pay it no mind.

I don't think I'm too good for the exchange but I do not want to lose my weight and settle on other people clothing?

Catherine, what a bummer of an experience.

It sounds like the group was nice except for those three. Some people can be such jerks.

Obviously, one of the perks of losing weight (besides getting healthy) is being able to fit into smaller clothes. Do it your own way, girl! Shopping for new stuff is fun.

I'm glad you got an apology from one of them anyway.

I went to a clothing exchange, I have not had the surgery yet but I am schdule for lapbad surgey in march, so anyway I went there to give my older clothes way that I can not fit and do no want even when I do lose my weight. So I go there and it was like you know a big group and people just talking about their weight loss and other things, so we sit in group and began putting our stuff out and sharing and people taking want they want and then

I hear these 3 ladies saying wow she thinks to good to take our clothing and they kept saying it to other people but here I am with 5 big big bags of clothing half still have tags, I'm like what is the problem I'm just here to help I don't need to get clothes from here I have not had the surgery yet and when I do get it I will be buying my new items,

And they kept saying oh you think you to good for this you just think we are charity cases, you come here with your flashy car (ugh just a nissan lol) just to look down on us, that car is probally your parents anyways. (No asshole brought it fully no lease no finance)

So I'm like wait a second lady I'm sharing these items with y'all and most of my items cost 100$ and above and I'm giving it away your little posse are the only one with a problem, this stuff is not gap or old navy items, Walmart, target clothing, these items you have to special order or go to saks or berdoff goodman, and macys so on and so fourth. I don't want anyone else clothes I have been blessed to have a family that are very well off, I have a great designer position, and a fiance with a great bussiness, that I don't need to come here and look for clothing,

I'm not knocking it but why can't I just help with out having to put my hand in the pot. (This is why all these big bussiness are going down)

I think she was just upset because her weight lost stalled she only lost 30lbs(post/pre) and its been 6months. But I do not believe I was being snobby or looking down on people I just wanted to give my clothes to people going through the same things I'm going through.

I know if I would have taken it to salvation army they would have taken a lot of those items and not even give to the people that need it. I had a pair of jeans that cost me 200$ I never wore it and it still had the tags on it,(one of the ladies that was saying stuff took that and when I was walking out said sorry and thanks)

I just wanted someone else to have these items who had/having wls

But everyone else there were very happy with it and the other people told me those particular ladies are just mean ladies and don't pay it no mind.

I don't think I'm too good for the exchange but I do not want to lose my weight and settle on other people clothing?

There is always a couple bad eggs in the carton. Don't worry about it. There are very few of us that are like that. To speak for myself I would be grateful that you were giving clothes because it gets darn expensive having to buy new clothes every 3 weeks because you are losing the weight.

There is nothing I hate more than ungrateful people. Especially when they voice it.

Even if you did drive up in Rolls Royce; you should not be ashamed to be successful or have more money than others.

I bet the majority of the people that got your clothes were grateful. Try to think of them and not the ungrateful jerks that are envious of you.

Catherine,

I can completely relate! I come a very well off family as well, and people sure do judge your charity (even though the clothing exchange is not charity). I have never been to a clothing exchange before, but I do make sure my clothes go to people who need them. All we have around here is GoodWill and Salvation Army.

I'm sure those women were just jealous that you can afford the nice clothes to begin with. Don't worry about them! I'm sure the other women were very grateful! Because I have to say..if I could not afford certain things, I would be grateful if I were getting them for free!

Wow, too bad they acted that way. I think it would be great to get high quality clothing from you. They had the wrong attitude for sure!

Catherine, what a bummer of an experience.

It sounds like the group was nice except for those three. Some people can be such jerks.

Obviously, one of the perks of losing weight (besides getting healthy) is being able to fit into smaller clothes. Do it your own way, girl! Shopping for new stuff is fun.

I'm glad you got an apology from one of them anyway.

Yeah I'm glad she did but oh well, everyone else there were very nice and greatful, I wasn't going there for a pat on the back just trying to be nice but oh well I feel happy knowing that other people have clothing they need now

There is always a couple bad eggs in the carton. Don't worry about it. There are very few of us that are like that. To speak for myself I would be grateful that you were giving clothes because it gets darn expensive having to buy new clothes every 3 weeks because you are losing the weight.

Yeah I been reading so much on here I see how people have to spend so much money on new clothes and how the clothing exchange is very helpful for people in need that'd why I did it

There is nothing I hate more than ungrateful people. Especially when they voice it.

Even if you did drive up in Rolls Royce; you should not be ashamed to be successful or have more money than others.

I bet the majority of the people that got your clothes were grateful. Try to think of them and not the ungrateful jerks that are envious of you.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do it just disappointing that people could be like that, and they whole time they try to avoid the clothing I brought there but oh well I guess they really wasn't in need for clothes they just wanted free clothing

Catherine,

I can completely relate! I come a very well off family as well, and people sure do judge your charity (even though the clothing exchange is not charity). I have never been to a clothing exchange before, but I do make sure my clothes go to people who need them. All we have around here is GoodWill and Salvation Army.

I'm sure those women were just jealous that you can afford the nice clothes to begin with. Don't worry about them! I'm sure the other women were very grateful! Because I have to say..if I could not afford certain things, I would be grateful if I were getting them for free!

Yeah girl I know, if I couldn't afford it either I will be right there trying to get some help and be greatful but I just think they didn't need clothing they just wanted new clothes or they had personal problems they going through idk but I'm not going to let me get upset I'm just aggravated at her gaul to try to put me down and we r both going through the same experice of wls

Wow, too bad they acted that way. I think it would be great to get high quality clothing from you. They had the wrong attitude for sure!

I'm like the only one in my family that don't mind to give my clothing away and what's sad about it that I can't even tell certain people in my fam about this cause they were against it saying " just go to the tailor and let them take the seams out) but I rather just save money and give them away, so they are going to be like I told you people are going to be ungreatful, but oh well

Edited by catherineleejones

I hate this! This is a late reply but how rude of those women!

I cop it all the time being a teacher in the public education system. Here in Australia, teachers are very poorly paid, compared to other professions. Having a husband who earns well over $200,000 a year, I consider my $60,000 or so as a graduate teacher a very nice little second income.

But if you have to support a family on that, its not a lot of money. So teachers tend to live very simple lifetyles, wear old clothes, drive old cars and many are renters, not home owners (particularly for male teachers who are primary breadwinners). I dont flaunt my own circumstances, in fact with 3 kids and me home for the last 15 years, we're not that well off. Its been a struggle. But I cop crap all the time because of my (I think pretty ordinary) car, my so called "expensive" clothes - I'm a Target and chain store shopper, no designer wear in my wardrobe but I do get new clothes regularly I guess, my "fancy" hair - its just not long, uncoloured and ungroomed, but short and sassy and the fact that I like to get my nails done. People are REALLY resentful of it and behave like I shouldnt have the temerity to work and earn more money than I strictly need to!

Jealousy is a curse, and envy is an ugly emotion.